Hunting in tight quarters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Coon Gravy

Hunting in tight quarters

Post by Coon Gravy »

Seems to be a fair amount of folks here that hunt small tracts (<10 acres lets say) or in urban/semi-urban areas. I have a couple of questions for you all that have experience with this sort of thing. Let me be clear that I'm not looking for or expecting guarantees, just want your thoughts. My potential hunting spot is about 5 acres and is closed off with barbed wire fencing. I have an open area backed by oak trees and brush with approximately 50-60yards in all directions to fencing from contact point. Shots (if taken) would be from </= 20yd max.

1. In a small space do you still try to set up for travel patterns/wind etc. or is it best to just set up near center and only hunt when the conditions match the location?

2. Has anyone ever seen a well hit deer jump a fence?

3. I would be using a tree stand to get downward angle for safety... any of you tree stand hunters had arrows glance after hit and flatten out similar to a ground shot trajectory?

4. Average run distance for well hit deer?

Again, I understand that there is no way to be certain on any of these things and that anything can happen but I am simply trying to weigh the options of hunting this small space as it is much more accessible to me than my normal hunting area.
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
BrotherRon

Re: Hunting in tight quarters

Post by BrotherRon »

yes, they will jump a fence, yes I would still hunt over trails - funnels- or along field edge. only ones I shot that didn't run far were the ones I shot down through the spine... one never moved... another I shot alongside the spine, down into the heart - he was unable to run but walked about 15 yards before dropping over.
Last edited by BrotherRon on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I used to hunt small parcels of land, that if yer deer made past the boundry fence there would be no recovery!. Were talkin 3-6 acres in Urban places. I never had an arrows bounce from a tree stand unless it hit a rock at an angle. Locate where the deer enter n shoot them after they pass you. I use to limit my shots to 30 yds n i used a well made fixed BH. I shot heavy arrows 500 + gr n broke their shoulders droppin them very quickly. Yes a well hit deer can jump a fence! Break their shoulders !!! Slice up a lb of meat vs a lost deer. I avocate heavy arrows n short yardage wid a well made fixed BH that can n will break bones like they were wet noodles! Don't matter if'en they curl on the tips after the hit, they go thru a deer n make 2 Holes!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Drew

Post by Drew »

Vixenmaster just have some excellent advice. X2 to that.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

vixenmaster always adds good insight ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Vixenmaster is right on!

I don't have to worry too much about one making it across the property line onto posted property where I hunt. Only neighbor I can't get access for recovery from (nature preserve) is 300 + yards from my nearest stand, and the route a deer would likely take makes it even farther.
A good double lung hit usually means 40-50 yard tracking job, and that's what I always try for.
wabi
CalhounWV

Post by CalhounWV »

Owning a crossbow has opened up new hunting areas for me, mostly the small tract land in urban areas.

I have been kicking over the same questions about how to prevent my deer from leaving the area I have to recover it.

Great responses and solves a problem of recovering my deer.

Thanks to the OP for thinking to ask this question, and to the responses!!
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
ccamp200

Post by ccamp200 »

Vixenmaster- what do you recommend for the make up of the heavy arrows? Which arrow and how heavy of an insert and BH?

I hunt close quarters and have had a Buck get away after a shoulder hit.

Currently shooting zombies with 90~ grain inserts and 125 grain mechanical broadheads.

Until that one, I had only had one doe get off property but not by far. She jumped a high fence with her stomach hanging out - could see where it impacted on the top rail.

Could never hunt my spot with a rifle. Good thread and ideas - thanks!
Exekiel 22:30 - And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

Black Matrix 380 "Meat Maker"
Excal1

Post by Excal1 »

Not to start a big stink fest but....why would you hunt an area that is so small you may not properly recover your game ?
*** Matrix 405
*** Matrix 380
Hawke XB30
Hawke XB30 Pro
xcaliber strings
Boo strings
BE Executioner & Zombie

I can't believe that cop put me in the back seat when I clearly called shotgun.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

ccamp200 wrote:Vixenmaster- what do you recommend for the make up of the heavy arrows? Which arrow and how heavy of an insert and BH?

I hunt close quarters and have had a Buck get away after a shoulder hit.

Currently shooting zombies with 90~ grain inserts and 125 grain mechanical broadheads.

Until that one, I had only had one doe get off property but not by far. She jumped a high fence with her stomach hanging out - could see where it impacted on the top rail.

Could never hunt my spot with a rifle. Good thread and ideas - thanks!

I used a 125 gr Magnus stingers n 2216 alum. wid 5/16"steel rod cut off n glued inside same time as the alum. insert, you can use brass same size in dia. cut them to the weight n length you want. Mine weighed 628gr would absolutely bust tru both shoulders they would either get knocked down or crow hop as they went down. I never ever worried about if'en the arrow or BH was goin to be reusable. I wanted the deer down n right now!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

Excal1 wrote:Not to start a big stink fest but....why would you hunt an area that is so small you may not properly recover your game ?
Just to clarify... for me at least, the small area I have does not make it impossible to recover game beyond the fence boundry. I was just trying to get a feel for a typical scenario... what I might expect after the shot, and if anyone took precautions outside the norm knowing that they did have a smaller space to deal with that might help avoid that situation.
I am lucky in that I don't HAVE TO hunt this location, it's just much more convenient to do so. My normal hunting area is distant enough that it usually requires a weekend of time to be enjoyable.
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
ccamp200

Post by ccamp200 »

Excal1 wrote:Not to start a big stink fest but....why would you hunt an area that is so small you may not properly recover your game ?
Let me be clear, we tracked that buck for 3 hours - until we heard banjos (not my proudest shot)

We are out in the middle of nowhere. Nothing but hunting camps out there. It is fine during bow season but I want to make sure we stop them cold now that the guns are out.
Exekiel 22:30 - And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

Black Matrix 380 "Meat Maker"
Excal1

Post by Excal1 »

Thanks guys for the extra info. I was picturing guys hunting on 2 or 3 acres in the middle of a subdivision. I have hunted small tracts as well but we were allowed to track wounded deer on adjacent properties just not hunt those properties.
Every year our local news paper will have a picture of a deer or goose with an arrow in it that made its way into someones backyard. It sheds a horrible light on all hunting as you can guess.
Have a great season and good luck.
*** Matrix 405
*** Matrix 380
Hawke XB30
Hawke XB30 Pro
xcaliber strings
Boo strings
BE Executioner & Zombie

I can't believe that cop put me in the back seat when I clearly called shotgun.