Help me mod my 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Green380

Re: Help me mod my 380

Post by Green380 »

Great suggestions.
A string is on the list for sure. I may wait till Boo gets his stuff out of boxes...but then I hope my stock string makes it till then.
I like the look of the Dr. Stirrup for sure hoping I see one in person at some point. In the mean time plasti dip looks great! I was going to go with tape but now I'll have to see if I can get some plasti dip, any suggestions where to buy the 'dip' not the spray cans in Canada? Also going to do the back of the stock, shouldered my bow the other day with the excalibur backpack on (wasn't in my stand yet) and heard a faint 'tinck' as the stock hit the buckle (luckily the doe didn't hear it but it's a good lesson).
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Drew wrote:Pic of plasti-dipped stirrup

I also put some on the front of the trigger guard for better grip

Where did you purchase this plasti-dip?
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...Plasti-dip can be purchased in Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Drew

Post by Drew »

You can get the black plasti-dip and the Behr pumice grit at Home Depot in the paint section.

I used gorilla tape to mask off the areas I didn't want the dip (middle of stirrup for broadhead clearance, mounting surface), and razor knifed the tape edges before removing. Leaves a nice clean line.

I used a plastic ziplock container to dip the buttstock in.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Drew wrote:You can get the black plasti-dip and the Behr pumice grit at Home Depot in the paint section.
Do you use both the black plasti-grip AND the Behr Pumice Grit or just one or the other? What's the deal with the pumice grit?
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

SummitSitter wrote:
Drew wrote:You can get the black plasti-dip and the Behr pumice grit at Home Depot in the paint section.
Do you use both the black plasti-grip AND the Behr Pumice Grit or just one or the other? What's the deal with the pumice grit?
....Drew is probably your man to ask SS...I have not made the mod...just responding as to where to find it!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Drew

Post by Drew »

Yes, use both, mix the pumice grit into the plasti-dip. It adds traction, durability, and knocks the gloss down.

check out this thread from when I did it originally...

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=54594
I should have taken a tutorial video when I did it as it's not just dip the stock and leave it alone. I used about 2/3 of the can and used a 1/3 ratio of pumice grit to plasti-dip. You have to follow the directions and dip slowly and make sure there are no trapped air bubbles. Then when you take it out I banged my hand on the stock to cause the excess to slowly drip off. As the coating starts to firm up, you can lightly tap it with your fingers to smooth out the drip tags and any imperfections/air bubbles. If there are a few imperfections on the first coat don't worry, the second will cover it. I thinned the mixture for the second coat slighty by adding more plasti-dip to the tray I was dipping into. I hung the bow stock down to dry for the first coat and then hung horizontally after the 2nd coat. PM me if you anyone trying this has questions.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Green380

Post by Green380 »

Awesome thanks Drew.