FOC Practice Points

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

FOC Practice Points

Post by SEW »

The FOC comes with 170g field points. The problem is that they don't hit the same as the range gets greater(40+ yards). However, the FOC is the most accurate broad head I've ever shot. It's field tip accurate. Light offset Blazers (4 degrees) will actually shoot it more accurately than helical while providing less drag, thus less need for as high an foc.
Now, this is how I make an FOC practice point. Nothing original here. I got these ideas from different sources.
It's so simple. 1) Take a new FOC, lightly sandpaper the part of the blades that are in the groove , clean with whatever - leaves no residue, put JB-Weld in the grooves and close the blades and wipe clean. Let 24 hours go by then - 2) sharpen the leading edge of the small exposed blades so the blades will be stressed less when they strike the broadhead target (18-1).
I've found than indexing the blades at 12 & 6 , flies closest to the field points.

It just doesn't get better than this: M405/ Duralyt 2-8/DrStirrup/lots of other stuff

paulaboutform

Re: FOC Practice Points

Post by paulaboutform »

Sew, you're a man after my own heart. :D Great looking setup. How do you like the air brakes?

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

well sew after seeing the damage this head creates i have one in my quiver do you band it? if so what are you useing thanks bob
SEW

Post by SEW »

I've never had one come open in flight that I know of. I'm obsessive
/compulsive concerning accuracy or ever just wounding a deer. I hate the phrase, "I stuck a deer but couldn't find it". I hear it a lot! Concerning banding, if it's never been shot but just spin tested, I don't band it. I never open the blades of a new FOC nor Spitfire. I never test the expandible broadhead by shooting it. It is spin tested though. I do band Spitfires with a single ortho elastic. If the FOC has been opened for any reason, I band it. By 70-80 yards, the additional drag makes it ever so slightly lower: test with and without bands on the practice Broadheads.
Answer, I like the Air Brakes.
Concerning speed, noise, range,accuracy, long range capability, the M405 provides the tightest groups day in and day out of any xbow I've experienced. Leave "speed out and the longer limbed Excals would likely be even better. However, at 80 yds, regardless of the how long since its been shot, it's still hitting the black dots of the 18-1. It'd still group about a 1" 3-shot group if only 1 arrow was shot each week. None of my compound xbows could do that. The best I've had, the Solution 350, can group really tightly (not as tight as the M380/405), but the group will open if the grouping were 1 arrow each week.
Proof of the pudding with a crossbow for me, is to sight it in to 80 yards, then go out in a month and see if it still hits in the dot. The Matrix 380/405 passes this test.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

SEW wrote: If the FOC has been opened for any reason, I band it.
What are Ortho Elastic bands? What does everyone use if they band an FOC broadhead. Where do you get them?
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
SEW

Post by SEW »

ko4nrbs wrote:
SEW wrote: If the FOC has been opened for any reason, I band it.
What are Ortho Elastic bands? What does everyone use if they band an FOC broadhead. Where do you get them?
Bill
I keep reading "dental bands". The only things I know about that might be called "dental bands" are orthodontic elastic rubber bands that come in an unbelievable # of sizes. My favorite is Express Dental Products, Inc dia 1/4 4 1/2 oz. Ph # 1-800-445-5227.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I found a bunch on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1& ... er%20bands

So the 1/4" ID ones fit the FOC broadheads??

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
SEW

Post by SEW »

Ideally.