Confusing Hunt Area

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Confusing Hunt Area

Post by ko4nrbs »

I hunt a rather narrow strip of Public Land with a large lake on one side and private land on the other. It is about 1/2 mile wide at it's widest point and is 1 mile long. Down the middle of it is a Gas Pipe Line right-a-way.

For the 3 years I have had cameras out there and have seen several nice bucks and several of does. What is confusing me is that I have only seen one rub out there and a few scrapes in 3 years. For several weeks this summer most of it was under water when the lake rose about 20 feet.

It's covered in Hackberry, Honey Locust, Persimmon, Wild Plum, Elm, Button Brush, Willow, Pecan and Osage Orange trees. Bur Oaks and pasture are on the Private land.

Last year I jumped a few does going in a few times and saw two nice bucks.

Since I have seen no rubs, only a few scrapes and beds I believe it is only a corridor they use to get from point A to Point B. Since they don't seem to hang around long you must be at the right place at the right time to see them. Make sense??

I'm set up in my Ground Blind on a trail that cuts through a small clearing where I got most of the pics. I set up well before light and have sat there from dark to dark!! Makes for a long day!! The clearing is surrounded by many heavily loaded Persimmon trees.

I can't think of any other way to hunt it using a crossbow. I hate this game of Cat and Mouse!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
xcaliber

Re: Confusing Hunt Area

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, most likely a travel corridor. Those can be rewarding, but hard to hunt.

Good luck, hope you tag a nice one.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

On public land i always go right for the thickest huntable spots. Also keep in mind a big buck will mate with a doe this time off year n you will find them holed up with a doe . Hunting public land is no different than public fishing after the spring bass bite you just have to work harder than the last guy that educated the fish or deer before you.l used to hunt this deer sign infested game land with food everywere. But unfortunately thru years of daytime hunting pressure the deer were conditioned to only come in at nite. Dont be discouraged deer do stupid things during the rut. Good luck lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nannyhammer

Post by nannyhammer »

I always look for terrain that funnels them in travel areas. Get a good top map and study it close. Sometimes it's overgrown with thick stuff from tornado damage, a rock formation, creek crossing or maybe even a field that they don't want to cross. I always think that deer like to take the easiest routes to conserve calories. I grew up in NE OK as well and they can be tough to hunt where it seems like they just wander through the woods. Good luck!