Max grains (grams?)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Geoffrey_the_giraffe

Max grains (grams?)

Post by Geoffrey_the_giraffe »

This grains thing is still a bit confusing for me, I really have no clue why arrows/bolts weights aren't quoted in grams but anyhow I digress. I just received some aluminum bolts that are heavier than my carbon ones. Just wondering what the max allowable weight would be? I have an Exocet 175..thanks!
Boo

Re: Max grains (grams?)

Post by Boo »

There's no upper limit to arrow weight.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You can build them as heavy as you want to jus personal choice
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

If you go below 350gr then things will get a little dicey!!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Geoffrey_the_giraffe

Post by Geoffrey_the_giraffe »

Thanks, I shot my aluminum eBay arrows today with half moon nocks. Approx 480grains or 31grams total weight. The feathers are not as rigid as I would have liked, but overall they seem to work well enough, especially for the price. However you do need to take care and load these bolts carefully, making sure everything is lined up straight, when you do they shoot very accurately and consistently.
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

Geoffrey_the_giraffe wrote:Thanks, I shot my aluminum eBay arrows today with half moon nocks. Approx 480grains or 31grams total weight. The feathers are not as rigid as I would have liked, but overall they seem to work well enough, especially for the price. However you do need to take care and load these bolts carefully, making sure everything is lined up straight, when you do they shoot very accurately and consistently.
I would find some flat nocks or just put in inserts in the rear for your arrows.. Half moon nocks in these bows is just bad juju...
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
galamb

Post by galamb »

Fullquiver wrote: I would find some flat nocks or just put in inserts in the rear for your arrows.. Half moon nocks in these bows is just bad juju...
Disagree - I switched to moon nocks after having enough partial dry fires with flat nocks (string went under the knock) that I had to find a remedy.

MYTH - I see quoted here in a number of posts that Excalibur's can not/should not use bolts with MOON NOCKS "under any circumstance".

Yes, in the Q&A section they say that moon nocks can cause a string jump if they are not aligned correctly.

(reading between the line - don't shoot moon nocks if you are incapable of taking reasonable care when loading your "deadly weapon")

They don't state that string jump can occur with flat knocks if they are slightly rounded off, or if you have plastic flat nocks that are (slippery) - which it can.

Yes, I have that incredible hassle of having to put the cock vane down and take that extra half a second to make sure the vee in the moon is snugged back against the string.

That really creates a problem when you are rapid firing towards a deer that you missed with your first shot and are looking for the fast follow up. :roll:

I get that Excalibur "designed" their bows to be shot with flat nocks - ease of use - BUT if someone chooses to shoot moon's, they shouldn't be told to scrap that idea "just because".
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS