Which Excalibur to buy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dale

Re: Which Excalibur to buy?

Post by Dale »

My exomax is a great bow. I use the stock string 2219 aluminum bolts and bolt cutters. Got my deer on opening day. Straight pass through. Accurate as hell. Even cocked it sitting in a tree stand. I am only 5'5" tall.
Exomax
Easton 2219 bolts
150 grain Bolt cutters
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

For me, size matters, and the smaller the better. I do my hunting from a stand, and in close quarters, my Micro really shines. I've also hunted and killed game with an Exomax and M380, and I much prefer the Micro.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I am very partial to my 380,,,,,,both of them,,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

thanks for the warm welcome everyone, much appreciated.
I agree the micro sounds great - but I can't find one here in Australia and none of the dealers seem like they have plans to order them!

I am also after maximum durability and wonder how the short limbs will hold up in the longer term.

I'm thinking it's going to be an axiom given the prices.
do you guys agree about adding the anti dry fire as a priority?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Guinness wrote:thanks for the warm welcome everyone, much appreciated.
I agree the micro sounds great - but I can't find one here in Australia and none of the dealers seem like they have plans to order them!

I am also after maximum durability and wonder how the short limbs will hold up in the longer term.

If'en i was you i would pick out an Alum. mainframe/railed model of the Exo series Phoenix/Ibex/E'cet 200/Vortex/Equinox all of them have stood the test of Time n work!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

thanks - why avoid the SMF? durabilty?
having lurked for a while -- i haven't heard anyone have an issue with the SMF.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Guinness wrote:thanks - why avoid the SMF? durabilty?
having lurked for a while -- i haven't heard anyone have an issue with the SMF.
Jus personal choice, an alum railed model is down-right TUFF !
I would take an old Vixen hands down over any poundage SMF model
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Richieg150

Post by Richieg150 »

I have a SMF Axiom, going on three years. It has never let me down, killed everything it has shot at. Tach Zone Scope, Flemish string, Firebolt 20 inch bolts, speed 295 fps. with 150 gr. field tips or the Bolt 150 gr. fixed broadheads, both fly about identical in my crossbow. A friend shoots a Horton, fancier compound crossbow, 350 fps. My Axiom will shoot circles around his faster Horton. Thought about getting a Excalibur 355, but I ask my self WHY, my SMF is doing everything I have asked her, yes mine is a female, to do. Im trying to get my wife into bow hunting, if that happens I will pass my SMF to her then I will be FORCED to get the 355. I have absolutely NO complaints on my Axiom SMF.
Psalm 144:1-1 Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.
2 He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

vixenmaster wrote:
Guinness wrote:thanks for the warm welcome everyone, much appreciated.

If'en i was you i would pick out an Alum. mainframe/railed model of the Exo series Phoenix/Ibex/E'cet 200/Vortex/Equinox all of them have stood the test of Time n work!
X2 have to agree!!! tough as they come. love the Phoenix!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Ironcat4

Post by Ironcat4 »

Michiganhunter wrote:Welcome, Well I'm 63 and shoot a 380. I have no problem cocking it with a simple Excal rope cocker. Shots crazy fast and crazy accurate.... Plain and simple.
I ended up with the 380. So far so good. Can't seem to get out to shoot enough. Look forward to next practice session.
Ironcat4

Mike Davis
[email protected]

Excalibur Matrix 380
Air Brakes
Trigger Tech 2.5 Hunter
Zeiss XB75
Executioner bolts
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Ironcat4 wrote:
Michiganhunter wrote:Welcome, Well I'm 63 and shoot a 380. I have no problem cocking it with a simple Excal rope cocker. Shots crazy fast and crazy accurate.... Plain and simple.
I ended up with the 380. So far so good. Can't seem to get out to shoot enough. Look forward to next practice session.

....welcome to the addiction...the 380 is an awesome choice...you won't be disappointed....soon it will be another, than another..... :cry: :cry:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have both a aluminum railed matrix 355 and an Axiom SMF.

The 355 is my primary hunting bow, but the Axiom is my daily shooter and both bows have been trouble free, dependable, and accurate beyond my capabilities.

Check my signature below and you'll see how I have them set up. Both bows have ADF and great up-graded scopes. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
hunlee
Location: Hunlee live on north side of river butt not far from big water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by hunlee »

Hunlee pulled this up to top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hunlee
Ironcat4

Post by Ironcat4 »

Well it's been a while since I received my 380. Have to admit I love it.
Changed the trigger to a trigger tech 2.5 hunter, changed the scope out for the Zeiss XB75, custom bolts executioners 20" lengths, added air brakes.

Have two Flemish strings coming from boo custom strings.

My set up without the new string is running 371 feet per second and is as you all well know an amazing tack driving weapon. You have to be careful shooting groups. No groups allowed at my house anymore. Too many messed up bolts. Now it's one bolt per bullseye on the target.

I just can't imagine what Excalibur can come up with next. Maybe the mega 405 will get the bugs worked out of the units that are experiencing trouble. Sure hope they resolve those issues, some report no issues at all so even better.

Just a supplier recommendation too if you will allow me. David over at Wyvern Creations has done an excellent job for all my requests. Takes his time, very helpful and the fastest shipping I have seen. I'll continue to do business with him.

Give him a look over at his website. Www.wyverncreations.com

Thanks for this forum and folks that contribute some very good stuff, photos and tips. Just a great place to come and see the posts and learn. Be safe and enjoy the beautiful outdoors the good Lord provides.

Ironcat4
Ironcat4

Mike Davis
[email protected]

Excalibur Matrix 380
Air Brakes
Trigger Tech 2.5 Hunter
Zeiss XB75
Executioner bolts