Grimm reaper!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Drew

Re: Grimm reaper!

Post by Drew »

Very similar to my brother in laws experience with Grim Reapers. Shot a small 6pt buck, no exit and the blades broke off. He is finally seeing the light and going to fixed. I gave him some ST mags and he just ordered the Xbow Tricks. He was also a Rage user until our Africa PH told him he only likes ST's or Grim Reapers. So this years deer season was the beta test for the GR's. Epic FAIL!

Mechanicals...an answer to a question that never needed asking. :roll: :lol:

JMHO
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....you never hear of all of these issues with the Spitfires!....just saying!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I'd like to see pics of the first shots on that doe.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Rifleman
Sorry to disappoint you but in my family we don't typically take photos of flat tops. its simple the BH didn't for what ever reason deploy. The boy hasn't said but I'm thinking he will finish the season using his 100gr. thunderheads and in the off season change to something different again..LOL
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

Riflemanz wrote:I'd like to see pics of the first shots on that doe.
Same here because if the cap was aligned properly those blades opened an clearly lets say one didn't open but all 3 he shot didn't open. Also again if in fact all 3 heads didn't open the cap wasn't aligned properly.. So I'm on the fence with this one. Better yet id taken pictures an been on the phone with grim reaper asking for an explanation or a refund. But its a good thing she only walked 5 yards away after first shot then 8 yards after second shot then a lil more to lay down..we could have had a wounded deer out there.
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I'm still going to try the heads given to me! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

xcaliber wrote:I'm still going to try the heads given to me! :wink:
They're great heads you do your job they'll do there's guranteed
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic

Post by newbie »

BryanGrizzlyohio wrote:
xcaliber wrote:I'm still going to try the heads given to me! :wink:
They're great heads you do your job they'll do there's guranteed
X2.
Somthing was amiss if two heads didnt open. I always thought they opened too easy. Guaranteed they were not put together properly. I know its a guy thing that we dont need to read instructions. With my broadheads i always read them so something like this doesn't happen.
Anthony they wont work with in Jersey anyway. :lol:
I have some new springs and rings coming they changed the design this year. I want to see how much tighter they are, just sent them an email they have two sets on the way.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I read the instructions twice, I'm feeling pretty good about these. Thanks Mike!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Renegade23

Post by Renegade23 »

I tried the Grim Reaper Razortip 100 grain expandable broadheads on my Matrix 405. Grim sends you a practice head with every package, but that was deceiving because the blades are fixed. What I found, after missing one and wounding two nice bucks, the blades were opening during flight. When I shot an actual broadhead, I found the accuracy to be a foot in any direction at 35 yards. I went back to the BAT fixed blades from Excalibur. They leave a bit to be desired for blood trails but are killing heads and accurate.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

this deer was Micro-d with a 125 gr Grimm didnt go but 30 yards. when it comes to broadheads confidence in what you use is key. plenty of good gear out there.Image

Post by newbie »

Renegade23 wrote:I tried the Grim Reaper Razortip 100 grain expandable broadheads on my Matrix 405. Grim sends you a practice head with every package, but that was deceiving because the blades are fixed. What I found, after missing one and wounding two nice bucks, the blades were opening during flight. When I shot an actual broadhead, I found the accuracy to be a foot in any direction at 35 yards. I went back to the BAT fixed blades from Excalibur. They leave a bit to be desired for blood trails but are killing heads and accurate.
This is a lesson.
ALWAYS try the real head before going afield. Part of the game you have to sacrifice one head and either touch up blades or replace.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Renegade23

Post by Renegade23 »

Newbie, You are right. Lesson learned the hard way. I should have known. This is not my first rodeo.
NFH

Post by NFH »

newbie wrote:
Renegade23 wrote:I tried the Grim Reaper Razortip 100 grain expandable broadheads on my Matrix 405. Grim sends you a practice head with every package, but that was deceiving because the blades are fixed. What I found, after missing one and wounding two nice bucks, the blades were opening during flight. When I shot an actual broadhead, I found the accuracy to be a foot in any direction at 35 yards. I went back to the BAT fixed blades from Excalibur. They leave a bit to be desired for blood trails but are killing heads and accurate.
This is a lesson.
ALWAYS try the real head before going afield. Part of the game you have to sacrifice one head and either touch up blades or replace.
+1 Always!
I've used Grim Reapers in the past. I feel they are one of the best mechanical BH designs out there but if they are not assembled correctly they will not open. That said I use fixed blade now days.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Renegade23..in the past I have had problems with premature deployment from the actual crossbow heads from my excal matrix 380. I got frustrated and stopped using them. A few months back they altered the internal mechanism that holds the blades in place and it completely fixed the problem. I shot 3 of the actual heads with outstanding accuracy to 60 yards
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead