String Builders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pickwick

String Builders

Post by Pickwick »

Ive only made strings for my longbows and recurves but the "draw" to make a string for my 330 is pulling on me. My recurve strings have held up for years but it is only 50lbs, not 200!! I have B50 for my recurve but don't think that would work out to good. I just don't know. Is B55 a good choice or should I go with something else? I see 60X has some BCY Xbow and Force10. I will try both twist and Endless loop styles. I have some Angel .036 and .030 BCY crossbow serving as well. What size serving for the loops. I want to make a string for my daughters Horton Summit HD 150 as well. I really enjoy this part of it all!
Boo

Re: String Builders

Post by Boo »

Do not use BCY's Dacron. It is rough/hairy and kinky. You can use Dacron on your 330 and really, you should be able to use just about any string material. The only exception that comes to mind is Angel Majesty. Which string material you choose depends on what you want to achieve.
For your Horton, I would use 452X or Excel for the cables and Dynaflight or D75 for the string. The cable material will give you brace height stability and the string will give you speed, plus be easier on your limbs.
Use 1D or 3D for your loops. For your 330 you can use anything upto 0.026" on everything with the exception of when using Dacron in which case, back to 1D. You want the center of the string to be lower than the outer surface of the string groove. This holds true for mag tips, cable anchors as well.
Angel Majesty should not be used to close a loop for any mag tips because while it grips better and resists separation, it does not have to strength to hold a loop closed.
String loops for any mag tip should be small enough that it just goes on when first made.
Good luck and keep in mind that crossbows are far more exciting :mrgreen: when something is done wrong.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Thanks Boo! When you say don't use the BCY dacron, do you mean for cosmetics only? The reason that I ask is that I found some in the shop that a buddy gave me. I was thinking that it can at least give me some practice. If they turn out good, will I be able to try them on my bow? I appreciate your advice for sure!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Pickwick wrote:Thanks Boo! When you say don't use the BCY dacron, do you mean for cosmetics only? The reason that I ask is that I found some in the shop that a buddy gave me. I was thinking that it can at least give me some practice. If they turn out good, will I be able to try them on my bow? I appreciate your advice for sure!!
It's just not nearly as nice to use as Brownell's B50. Nothing to do with how it looks, it's more to do with twisting a Flemish string.
No harm in trying them on your bow. If you don't have a string stopper, keep a close eye on your brace height. You don't want your string slapping the riser.
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Oh, ok. Thanks for the help!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Boo wrote:Do not use BCY's Dacron. It is rough/hairy and kinky. You can use Dacron on your 330 and really, you should be able to use just about any string material. The only exception that comes to mind is Angel Majesty. Which string material you choose depends on what you want to achieve.
For your Horton, I would use 452X or Excel for the cables and Dynaflight or D75 for the string. The cable material will give you brace height stability and the string will give you speed, plus be easier on your limbs.
Use 1D or 3D for your loops. For your 330 you can use anything upto 0.026" on everything with the exception of when using Dacron in which case, back to 1D. You want the center of the string to be lower than the outer surface of the string groove. This holds true for mag tips, cable anchors as well.
Angel Majesty should not be used to close a loop for any mag tips because while it grips better and resists separation, it does not have to strength to hold a loop closed.
String loops for any mag tip should be small enough that it just goes on when first made.
Good luck and keep in mind that crossbows are far more exciting :mrgreen: when something is done wrong.

that sounds more like a certain string builder than a string material. :mrgreen:

(I tried Don, really! I did try to ignore this for a few hours but I cant help it. You know you deserve something to be said about this. You cant set it up like that and not expect a return!)
& Good luck pickwick! you've got the response of a very knowledgeable string maker on your side.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Boo

Post by Boo »

one shot scott wrote:
Boo wrote:Do not use BCY's Dacron. It is rough/hairy and kinky. You can use Dacron on your 330 and really, you should be able to use just about any string material. The only exception that comes to mind is Angel Majesty. Which string material you choose depends on what you want to achieve.

that sounds more like a certain string builder than a string material. :mrgreen:

(I tried Don, really! I did try to ignore this for a few hours but I cant help it. You know you deserve something to be said about this. You cant set it up like that and not expect a return!)
& Good luck pickwick! you've got the response of a very knowledgeable string maker on your side.
LOL! I was expecting a shot from Paul or Dennis :mrgreen:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

yeah, they let me have this one. My response time has been a bit slow lately.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Which Paul? I'm waiting for your reply. ..... What are friends for.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

flightattendant100 wrote:Which Paul? I'm waiting for your reply. ..... What are friends for.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Do not use BCY's Dacron. It is rough/hairy and kinky.

....I am taking a small breather from posting and look I was given a slam dunk to jump all over and I missed it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings