Bolt Building Advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

drkeenan

Bolt Building Advice

Post by drkeenan »

My wife asked me for my Christmas list so I've decided to take a shot at arrow building. I've asked for a saw, squaring tool and Fletching tool.

My plan is to learn on the cheap so my first arrows will be 15.5 - 16.5 Easton XX75 Aluminum. I plan on using luminocks and 2" blazer veins and 100 grain heads. That said, should I use 2216 or 2219? Also is their a insert weight I should be looking for?? And finally what adhesive should I use??

Have I missed anything??

Thanks, John
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
Boo

Re: Bolt Building Advice

Post by Boo »

drkeenan wrote:My wife asked me for my Christmas list so I've decided to take a shot at arrow building. I've asked for a saw, squaring tool and Fletching tool.

My plan is to learn on the cheap so my first arrows will be 15.5 - 16.5 Easton XX75 Aluminum. I plan on using luminocks and 2" blazer veins and 100 grain heads. That said, should I use 2216 or 2219? Also is their a insert weight I should be looking for?? And finally what adhesive should I use??

Have I missed anything??

Thanks, John
The fletching tool is going to be an Arizona EZ Bolt right?
You'll need;
Acetone
Gorilla glue (blue top) or G5's glue for inserts or flethchings. You could also use Ferr-L-Tite or an industrial hot glue for inserts.
A 30 caliber bronze bore brush
Extra saw blades
Brass inserts for aluminum is going to require some phone calls to see what works. I think the BEAs brass inserts will fit the 2219 but I'm not 100% on that. I don't think Easton makes brass inerts for their aluminum so you'll have to get someone who has done some swapping/experimenting.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

+1 for the AZ Bolt
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

What Don said.

I have been using the gorilla blue top on my inserts as well and so far no issues....

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I use a little different aluminum arrow formula but there is no wrong or right combination except what works for you.
What works for me and my 380 matrix and previously my Exomax is this.
19 or 20 inch Easton 2216 aluminum shafts that I cut myself.
I use only 100 gr points/ broadheads/Spitfires or Wasp Jac-Hammer.
Easton plastic nocks for 2216 shafts, 2 inch Blazer vanes with as much helical as I can get,... attached using Gorilla blue top super glue.
Standard aluminum front insert.
With this combination and using 100 gr head the 19 inch shafts weigh 388 grs total weight.
The 20 inch shafts using 100 gr head total 400 gr.
My 380 is getting 378 fps with the 19 inch 388 gr combination.
Accuracy is as good as it gets in my opinion so I also have no need for inserts.
Yes I love the aluminum shafts and personally I have no desire to go to Graphite.
Good luck.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

For you that use the Blue top Gorilla. Is there any positives over the Green top other than the green is gel? I have been using the professional loctite super glue and the green top gorilla gel. I haven't had any problems and it seems to go on pretty smooth being a gel. If you are not super fast, though, the green top will catch you in the middle of something (inserts)
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

i highly recommend the vanetech HP 2" vanes over blazers, they are stiffer and stick soooo much better than blazers, not even in the same category. i use the gorilla glue with the blue cap as well (impact tough). it has rubber mixed in the glue so it is impact resistant and does not get brittle like regular super glue, this is after years of trial and error. i got it perfect now.
Last edited by kawaboy-zx11 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Pickwick wrote:For you that use the Blue top Gorilla. Is there any positives over the Green top other than the green is gel? I have been using the professional loctite super glue and the green top gorilla gel. I haven't had any problems and it seems to go on pretty smooth being a gel. If you are not super fast, though, the green top will catch you in the middle of something (inserts)
The blue top is a little slower setting so you don't have to rush.
Hank
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

Thanks to all for the advice. Looking forward to my first build!!
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera

Post by newbie »

All good advice. Biggest thing is prep, dont shortcut on prep amd attention to detail. Rest will fall in line.
Don't be discouraged if things dont work out at first. Me i had issues with vanes staying adhered, turns out old glue and not preparing shaft was the issue.
I also prefer slow setting two part epoxy for inserts. I find it holds better gives me time to play around and i havent glued myself to the arrow yet. :mrgreen:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!