One of those hunting seasons

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

davesonic444

Re: One of those hunting seasons

Post by davesonic444 »

I have been lucky to never had a sidelock misfire. I have had a inline do that. The firing pin was hanging up and not striking the primer. My sidelock i always pump cleaner through the nipple and then dry with alcohol. I use Ballistol to store it and hunt with Goex FF. I also wipe it out with alcohol and pop at least three caps on it before a hunt. Pointing the barrel at a leaf or something so i can see that the fire is making through.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

rein1 wrote:I've had my share of bad luck this hunting season not seeing many deer and other problems .. so today was Michigan firearm season opener so after church I heading to the woods hunting with my smoking pole ...Going on to a 5 hr set and right before dark here comes a nice 10- or 12 point buck walking 40 yds from me broadside... So I thought alright another mount for the wall, I squeezed the trigger and got a loud pop and no boom.. My cap went off but my powder didn't do anything ,, The buck looked at me and happily ran off ,, I think the buck said dum as// when he looked at me ... Lol That's what hunting about ..
What are you using for powder? All of the subs have a higher ignition temperature than real black powder.

Using real BP and a piece of Saran Wrap between the cap and nipple I have hunted all day in the rain and had it go boom at the end of the day.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Sometimes things happen, that's what makes it so good when you get one.
Had a hang fire once with my muzzle loader several years ago. Could have thrown the 200 grain SST farther. In retrospect it was funny, at the time not so much.

Regarding the responder with a flier with the crossbow - please always make sure that your bolt is seated all the way back. Sounds like you may have had a partial dry fire as a bolt not seated properly will cause this type of bolt flight. I know this from experience.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Some days you're the dog....some days you're the fire hydrant!! :lol: :lol:

Hope you get him next time. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads