Thermal Cameras For Tracking ?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fazan

Re: Thermal Cameras For Tracking ?????

Post by Fazan »

How about the

"Seek Thermal XR Extended Range Thermal Imager, "

Had the same idea about tracking and bought one of these (Costco.ca) just before season. Installed App for it on my phone and played with it for about a week. It worked (never tried it while hunting). Then upgraded software on my phone. Camera worked no more. Promptly returned it.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

rein1 wrote:I doubt there will be enough residual heat left from the deer to follow it for tracking after being shot.
Happened to watch an Alberta Fish & Wildlife Technician zero in on a deer with a Thermal Imaging device. That deer had been dead for a couple hours at least. He got out of his truck, scanned the area, and walked immediately right to that deer. Over 500 yards off the road. Damned Impressive!

Methinks they would work well for what you have in mind Paul. But likely only the super high end versions...

Cheers,
Nog - He who tracks with a Wolf Hybrid :wink:
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

paulaboutform wrote:
one shot scott wrote:my thoughts a well. range could be an issue. Would the device only work from a few feet away and only be possibly useful for a warm blood trail, or could it be used for distance. Now you have me interested in them again!
Rein1 pointed me towards the Seek Reveal hand held unit. Roughly $350 USD. Hmmmm.

Paul

That seems to be a nice little unit. And prices are better than I imagined. Even if it may not work for tracking I could still find 1000 uses for this!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I'm just gonna use my Star Trek Phasers! :shock: :shock: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Best thing I've found for tracking a deer is a 10 year old kid ! I see great (Not even glasses ) but my Son found EVERY drop of blood on the last deer we tracked together .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Yo 8ptbuk.....you need to start renting the kid out.....LOL!!!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Reinyrooster wrote:Yo 8ptbuk.....you need to start renting the kid out.....LOL!!!
LOL !!! I swear it was embarrassing !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

You could mount one of those on a drone, and search for your deer while you were whipping up some gourmet goodies on the grill for all your buddies. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anthony, tell me if I am wrong or missed something, but did Paul read way too many sci-fi books as a youth? :D :lol: :lol:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

flightattendant100 wrote:You could mount one of those on a drone, and search for your deer while you were whipping up some gourmet goodies on the grill for all your buddies. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anthony, tell me if I am wrong or missed something, but did Paul read way too many sci-fi books as a youth? :D :lol: :lol:
Paul, are you sure you're not Italian? :lol:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Jray

Post by Jray »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... cular.html
Didn't buy it for finding deer after they have been shot but I don't go in the woods without it. Do use it for that purpose though. It is expensive but it opens up a whole new world for me. Nothing (with a warm body)can hide. Ever hear that stuff moving around you in the woods before it gets light enough to see? It's never too dark if you have one of these!
Don't use it to track deer as it were but rather to find them. Shot a doe in early season right at dark and couldn't believe it was able to run far enough so as to be out of sight. Got down out of the tree, got all my gear together and loaded the 4 wheeler. Got my pulsar and started following a very sparse blood trail. That ran out after about 50 yards. turned the pulsar on and started scanning in the general direction that I thought the deer went. saw the doe about 50 to 60 yards further on into the woods. I could see she was holding her head up so I went back to where I had the 4 wheeler and loaded it up and drove around the field to where I thought it would be easiest to drag her to-through 2 creeks! Used the pulsar to find her again just as she expired. All this in total darkness. Not sure I would have found her without it. Or even if I had I may have jumped here before she expired and drove her even further into the woods.
Again, not sure I would buy it just to find deer that don't fall in sight but I find myself going to my stand an hour or 2 before I need to just to "see" what goes on under the cover of darkness
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Some experience tracking, Thats all I needed to hear! So it seems that a range of 60 yards is at least obtainable, and if I understand correctly it can be used on a blood trail. Sweet
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Jray

Post by Jray »

Don't want to mislead you-I don't use it to see blood on the ground. Flashlight works well for that. But when the blood trail runs out-or forget the blood trail altogether-the pulsar will reveal a warm body much farther than 60 yds- watched a bear cut through the edge of the field at about 150 yards last week-pitch dark, no moon. Plainly visible and identifiable.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Jray, that's exactly what I was thinking about....Not drones and phasers Paul and Anthony...and Mike! :mrgreen: .......thanks Jray.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Get the one Jray uses for finding a downed animal, and here's the one to mount on your bow for downing the animal!

You can skip over the technical description and see the sight in action at about the 13 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijugwiYpzEw
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
coop

Post by coop »

Jray wrote:Don't want to mislead you-I don't use it to see blood on the ground. Flashlight works well for that. But when the blood trail runs out-or forget the blood trail altogether-the pulsar will reveal a warm body much farther than 60 yds- watched a bear cut through the edge of the field at about 150 yards last week-pitch dark, no moon. Plainly visible and identifiable.
So does it not show the blood on the ground? If its does why not use it for that? That's what I think would work best, track blood with it until your close enough to see downed animal with it?
M405+Swhacker=Awesome