New member looking for input

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

The Little Count

New member looking for input

Post by The Little Count »

Greetings and salutations to all!

An introduction seems to be in order to start things off. I am one of those who been sniffing around the boards but never joined, up until now.
From Sweden I am and may not have the best English in the World but hope most will understand what I am saying. Not a hunter as such (not legal to hunt with crossbows or bows) here in Sweden. I do however like to target shooting and might go abroad for huntingtrips with a crossbow in the future.
Not my priority for the "Daily use" of a crossbow, that is competing in the gengre Sporting (am a member of Gothenburg crossbow club (GAK in Swedish). Comps are both indoors (18 meters) and outdoors (20, up to 55meters)Recently started for real, although I've been a member of the club for 1 year now.
Been talking to members about different crossbows etc etc and finally decided on a recurve and not compound, now my question is exactly what XB, been thinking of a Matrix 330 for a long time but now more and more lean towards a Vixen 2. Why, well I have back problems (hernia and disks just wont sit still). Fine for the most part but in Sporting you shoot a lot, between 60 and 90 shots depending on the comp (in or out). This of course is a concern for me.
My dilemma is that here in Sweden you need liscense to own a crossbow and that makes it very hard to decide what bow to go for since there arent any shops here like you have in Can or US for example. All testing have to be with other members Xb's and nobody here or at all in Sweden have a matrix 330 so I can compare the drawweight or feel for the xb.

Do anybody here own or have shot both of these (330 and Vixen 2) and can give me some of their thoughts experiences with those ? I know there are a lot of difference between hunting and copms but just some kind of input and thoughts would be much abliged on this matter for me.

For 3D comps I obviously need a stronger xb but that will be in the future. For now its Sporting Indoors and outdoors that is my focus. Know you get advantage with the 330 compared to Vixen on 50-55 meters but is it really that big, all things beeing equal?

Regards/TLC
xcaliber

Re: New member looking for input

Post by xcaliber »

I have the Matrix 330, and it is a sweet crossbow. I have owned several models, but not the Vixen, every one of them was a gem, so if the Vixen fits the bill, buy one with confidence. If the 330 is affordable, and you want the extra speed it provides, again, a sound decision. Good luck, and welcome aboard!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hello and welcome to the forum. :D All Excalibur crossbows are extremely accurate. If your primary goal is target shooting and you're shooting known distances, I would go with the lighter bow, the Vixen. The only advantage you get from the more powerful bows is a flatter trajectory. When it comes to 3D shooting, the faster the bow, the greater margin of error you can get away with. However, as you practice ranging estimation and become more proficient the Vixen will still serve you well and you can still be very competitive. With the injuries you have my suggestion is to go with the Vixen....and if you do decide to hunt one day the Vixen will still get the job done. Just ask Vixenmaster or Vixchix. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
cb175

Post by cb175 »

Hi and welcome.

I shoot World Archery Field in Australia which covers targets from 10m to 60m all marked distances (kind of analogous to golf). Shooting lanes are through trees and over grass and undulations with different elevations.

24 targets and three arrows at each = 72 arrows.

I shoot an Ibex (175lb) and a Grizzly (200lb but shorter draw) and can shoot them all day with no problem. You don't need any more bow to shoot those target distances. The Vixen would be fine. Save your back! It would also work fine for 3D (lucky you!) as the distances are shorter, but unmarked. People shooting target crossbows can only shoot up to 95lb and they manage just fine.

Good luck with your choice and I feel for your problems with regulations as Australia is a right pain when it comes to importing crossbows!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Another good choice besides the Vixen is the Matrix cub n a optional string
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

I have matrix 330, never shot a vixen but by all means install a trigger tech trigger for target shooting IMO. As for cocking, I use a C2 crank because of my 74 yr old bad back, I can cock it 3 or 4 times no problem without it. The past 2 yrs I bought 5 different compound xbows before the Excalibur, I will never have anything else but Excalibur! :D
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
The Little Count

Thank you all for your input, knowledge and thoughts! Really apreciate it. Also agree that health and the sheer joy of shooting goes before speed and Power. Must say I am a bit surprised about Vixen beeing competetive in 3D, everybody i spoken too have all said something like "dont go under 345-355 fps if you want to be able to really compete with the best. Maybe they just want to justify their own purchases high end bows :D Joking aside, cb 175, I am curious to know what you (or anybody else) have to say about the draw weight and leangth of older style Excalibur compared to the newer matrix (in your case old 175 vs new shorter but 200Ibs style). Is it noticable from start or would you say one dont really notice the difference the first say 20-50 shots ?

Another thing, how is the "wiggle"/balance from the older broader/longer limbs compared to the newer smaller/compact ones in general ? Is it noticable?
Thats one of the things I mean when I say the "feel" of the bow or balance. A very important thing I really would like to hear more about.

Again much apreciated and valued.

TLC
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

I have had a older metal rail Axiom (175 lb draw and 305 FPS) and I have shot it at ranges from 10-50 yards and cannot say enough about the accuracy. I have damaged 6 arrows from hitting them with the next shot. when my accuracy went out side very tight groups I started looking for problems and it turned out the scope was damaged. they are front heavy (all cross bows are) but I can shoot accurately offhand and have no problem shooting out to 50 yards. I regularly have a bad back and bad shoulder and I have no problems drawing the bow (I not very strong). I am 6'-4" (205 lbs) and had to put the longest stock extender on to make it long enough to comfortably shoot. I prefer the metal rail bows as I think the are stronger and not as susceptible to damage or thermal deformation in hot weather.

Your height and arm length will determine whether you will be comfortable with the shorter stock bows like the vixen II or matrix cub or the longer stock and power stroke especially cocking one. The first time I shouldered my axiom I knew I needed the stock extender as my face was too near the "receiver" of the CB. I also have to use extra thick slip-on recoil pads on all of my hunting firearms (I used the longest stock FN-C1 when I was in the military reserves) for that reason.

I used to shoot small bore rifles competitively and if you are worried about the balance of the CB you might want to add some weight to the rear of the standard stock (I used lead tape for that) or get a heavier after market wooden stock. Since you will not have to carry the bow around much total weight is not an issue. It will also reduce felt recoil.
Last edited by cadmaster on Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

As for wiggling (canting) I would think that the longer limbs would be an advantage as the weight is farther out from the neutral axis. Tightrope walkers use long poles with weights for balance so I would say it is not an issue. If you are worried about that for range shooting get a scope level, but I doubt that at 60 yards or less range it would be an issue. For offhand shooting (3D shooting) I don't think a level would be of much use.
The Little Count

Thanks a lot Cadmaster and all others!
Although I havent found anybody with a matrix serie I found 1 Vixen and a Vortex that I can test during the weekend at the club :D
That will certainly help a long way. However I am not Writing off the matrix series yet, might find somebody that have one (cross my fingers) so I can compare. Tested a M380 a few shots but that is way more poundage than I want for whole Days of shooting. How about the canting issue ? Is the longer (older style) easier to notice that with generally or?

Sorry for all my questions but since I cant compare a Grizzly, 330 or similar to a Vixen or Vortex I am in the dark here and just want your experiences and thoughts about it.

PS

Paul: Good luck with your hog hunt (read your thread).

deerman 41: Happy to hear you're not giving up on your hunts. We have a few oldtimers in the club that shoots every week and the prize goes to a 85 year old that shoots every day. He really should have a pice in the newspapers about him, still a great shooter (he beat me in a comp a few weeks ago) he he.

TLC
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Hi there Little Count
I'm in UK and we shoot 3ds in our society.
Range from 1- 70m with most shots being in the 18-35m distance,unmarked.
Our society has a speed limit of 300fps .
Rules dictate recurve bows only so we are restricted to very few bows that we can use
Favourite is the vixen which gets the job done nicely an represents excellent value for money.you may find a butt hook a useful addition to counter the forward imbalance.
Being an avid tinkerer I shortened a matrix to give a 220mm draw which gives a similar performance to a vixen but on a much more compact bow.
Just a thought for you
galamb

Post by galamb »

There was a couple of comments about the "fit" of a Vix II.

I shoot one and can comment on that a little.

I'm not a small guy. I go 6' 1" tall, tip the scales at 200 lbs and have a long reach.

My draw on vertical bows is 31" and my length of pull on a rifle is 14 1/2".

I have no problem at all with the reduced stock length of the Vix II. I would suggest that "stock fit", when you are not worried about recoil giving you a black eye from the scope or smacking the snot out of your cheek really negates the impact of the shorter LOP on the Vix II.

Just like some Traditional black powder guns where you hook the butt into your bicep and kinda cock your elbow out sideways (to account for the reduced LOP), I shoot the Vix the same way (still anchor in the shoulder, but point the elbow out perpendicular). Once used to the slightly altered "shooting posture" I now find it second nature when I pick up my bow.

Before I went to the Vix II I was shooting a Horton 175 Legacy. And have to say when I'm "shooting paper" and have cocked the bow for the hundredth time in an afternoon, the muscles in my lower arm really notice that 25 pound lighter pull with the Vix. The 220 lb draw weight of 330 or the 270 pound pull of the 335 Micro causes knots in my arm muscles just thinking about it.

I was initially intrigued by the matrix 330 which I saw as a possible upgrade/replacement to my Vix, but ultimately saw "not enough advantage" over the Vix II to justify the cost to "replace" a perfectly functioning bow which has destroyed many bolts, putting them on top of each other at ranges between 25 and 35 yards.

One final thought. The Vix II by it's design is the model that puts the least amount of stress on the limbs of all the "hunting class bows". After more "thousands" of shots than I can count, including more than a couple of partial dry fires, the limbs on my bow are in no worse shape than the day they came off the production line.

Some of these short limbed, high poundage bows are showing the results of "gobs of stress" on the limbs. I'm sure this will eventually get worked out, and yes, lot's have not "yet" experienced a problem - but maybe "yet" is the keyword.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If a 175# Long Limb model suits you, get an aluminum rail Ibex, Phoenix, or Axiom. The longer limb models are very accurate, easy to draw, and very easy on strings. The 200# Vortex is really easy to draw as well, and bargains are out there too. Post Back when you decide, it would be great to hear what you decided on, and hear how you like it.
Good Luck! :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi again. In regards to canting the bow, I can tell you you're on the right track in considering this. It IS absolutely noticeable at even 20yards and becomes exponentially greater the further you shoot. A level bubble is available from Excalibur or you can get one on line from Cir-Cut Archery. These are small stick on level bubbles that you stick on your riser after cleaning the riser with isopropyl alcohol. They work great! You'll be amazed if you shoot off a bench rest and put your crosshairs on the bullseye, then check your level, correct it and watch your crosshairs move way off the bullseye. Anyway, I do recommend getting a stick on level, great idea. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Bubble is absolutely invaluable for shooting 3ds across slopes I just had no idea how much I'd canted the bow till I checked the bubble.