Need Expertise on Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Clueless

Need Expertise on Crossbows

Post by Clueless »

Hello,

I've lived in a hunting family my whole life, but I don't personally hunt. My husband hurt his shoulder many moons ago playing football. He hunts a lot and he has tried to bow hunt many times but always ends up having to lay it down because drawing the bow eventually starts causing him shoulder problems. I was thinking about buying him a crossbow for Christmas. Is the draw any easier, or would it be a moot point? Thanks in advance for any input.
CalhounWV

Re: Need Expertise on Crossbows

Post by CalhounWV »

Crossbow shooting may be for him. There are different options to consider like a cocking aid, crank and the different poundage draw weights. It is difficult to choose a bow for someone else, some good advice would be take him to a bow shop, let him pick the right combination that fits his particular physical and hunting needs.
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Ok, thanks.
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

The same issue is what caused me to convert from a vertical bow to the crossbow. Great move.....he will thank you for it.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

CalhounWV wrote:Crossbow shooting may be for him. There are different options to consider like a cocking aid, crank and the different poundage draw weights. It is difficult to choose a bow for someone else, some good advice would be take him to a bow shop, let him pick the right combination that fits his particular physical and hunting needs.

...."spot on" and agreed to completely...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Gregoire1960

Post by Gregoire1960 »

Just in case you haven't already..... I'd check to make sure that crossbow hunting for his game of choice (deer?) is legal in your state or province, as there are a few that aren't as enlightened. Some will allow it only during rifle or shotgun season. A quick check with a local gun or archery shop should answer that.

My daughter could easily cock her Excalibur Vixen at the age of 12 with a cocking rope. I'm sure that it would be the answer to his shoulder injury & a cocking rope will allow him to cock or uncock the crossbow with one hand if need be.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Before putting out the $ make sure crossbow hunting is legal in your state...

Some only allow crossbow hunting during archery season to those with verified non-operable conditions which prevents use with a vertically held traditional style bow or compound of legal hunting draw weight. Your paperwork has to have to been verified and signed off by a doctor and application will require approval by State game dept. before they will issue you a "special permit".

That was the case for me here in WA state.
Just this year they have opened croossbow hunting "to all" , but only during modern rifle season..... However, only handicapped with the "specail permit" can use them in archery season.

Other states such as Oregon have no crossbow use allowed to any hunter regardsless of dissaability.

In addition, many states have a minimum draw weight requirement for crossbows, make sure he can draw it with some type of cocking aid before buying.
{ Some like NY even have a Maximum draw weight which you don't want to exceed for legal reasons.}
Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

Thanks so much for the info. Checked it out and yes, legal in our state. Thanks so much, I appreciate it.
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

If you need to surprise him get a gift certificate from your local bow shop or cabelas/basspro
That's what my girl does half the time. :D
Merry Xmas
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

We are throwing out words like cocking aid and crank .
Cocking aid is a rope with two handles and two hooks mounted in the centre section of the rope . It helps cut the cocking weight in half but also makes the travel to cock double .
The crank is a device that mounts temporarily to the back of the bow and works much like a boat winch . It has a cog system that locks at regular intervals to allow a rest if needed .
There is many other accessories he will undoubtedly need . But baby steps . :)
My personal recommendation is to let your husband pick the bow that fits him best . Then have him come on here and ask any questions before purchase .
Sales people are looking for a sale . We are looking for a happy crossbow owner for life . :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
artifact

Post by artifact »

I'm certainly no expert, but here's my experience.
I used to archery hunt, and kind of gave it up because of shoulder discomfort.
This year I bought a Excalibur Matrix 380 and have absolutely no discomfort when either cocking it, or de-cocking it. If you do it right, you just bend over, place the hooks on the string, grab the handles on the cocking rope, and stand up. My arms are straight when I cock it, so there's really no pressure on my shoulders. When de-cocking it I also experience no discomfort, and I use my right hand, which has the not so great shoulder.
That's just my experience, and now am back to archery hunting. I'm also 68 yrs. old and can easily cock that bow, if done right.
As others are saying, maybe a lighter draw weight bow would also help. Seems like the 355 and 330 are popular and will do the job.
You're also getting excellent advice from the members on here, don't deviate from it.
Good luck, and hope he can get back to archery hunting.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

I have a brother-in-law who eats, sleeps, and dreams bow hunting. I contacted him yesterday as well. One thing he did tell me is to make sure the brand is Excalibur. I appreciate the advice about taking him to buy it, but therein lies the problem, he won't. I've been with him for 27 years; I know him. He's one of those no frills kind of guys who just wants the basics of everything, with no bells and whistles. He will look at the cost and rationalize himself out of buying it. He plans on getting the bow back that he gave to my nephew. My nephew doesnt shoot it because some part on the bottom is bent, so my husband is going to try and use it. He's one of those guys who just "make do." It's not a question of having the money, he's just very self-deprecating. If I leave it to him, it will never happen, and he works hard and I would like to surprise him with something nice because he always "makes do" and he deserves something nice. A gift certificate may be the way to go. Thank you so much for all your help and have a blessed and Merry Christmas!
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

And I will certainly steer him to this forum! :)
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have MS and can not draw a bow back I went to Crossbow and have no problems . Check your state Fish and game Department Laws to see if he needs a Handicapped /disabled crossbow permit if so have him apply most that do need a permit need their Doctor to write that he can not draw a bow back and hold it at the legal hunting wt for the state . My state I need that permit . I found Excalibur crossbows fit the bill .
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

You want to surprise him with the present . Then my go to bows to do most anything and be a pleasure to shoot would be the 355 .
Lots of speed , easy on the back and easier on the wallet . :)
Speed is great but is not the only thing .
I am assuming you`re state side . So for to get the best advice on what he needs and does not need .
Talk to Dr. Crossbow ie Dan Miller 740-483-2312
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus