Vane to nock distance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carey

Vane to nock distance

Post by Carey »

New to fletching bolts. Diablo bolts (18 inch) from Excalibur came with 7/8 inch distance from nock to vane and I am trying to match that. Have read that further back than the normal 1 1/4 inch gives better steering. I bought new Arizona Bolt arms to replace the existing arms on my old Arizona EZ fletcher and now the bolts sets down inside, which results in a distance of 1 1/4 inch from nock to vane.Not what I wanted. Huumm. Anyway, I discovered that if I set the bolt over an empty 380 cal. cartridge and then fletch it with the Arizona EZ (remodeled fletcher) the distance from nock to vane is exactly 7/8 inch (just like the Diablo) and it works with the fletcher perfectly. Thought others might want to know.
SouthShoreRat

Re: Vane to nock distance

Post by SouthShoreRat »

Typically there are 3 setbacks that work for most bows, 1 1/8th setback is average, Mission bows require 1 3/8ths and you will find some Excalibur arrows have 1 1/4 setback. I have found 1 1/8th is the most common across the industry.

The fact

The farther back toward the nock you can place the vanes the better. Dynamic arrow length can be longer then your arrows or shorter depending on the setup and FOC

Example
Here is a crude drawing showing the difference in an arrow with 15% foc compared to an arrow with 30% foc

It is more critical to place vanes further back on shorter arrows so if your bow will accept 1in or slightly a shorter distance I would go with it.
The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!
www.southshorearcherysupply.com
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I shortened some blunt tips to screw in the back of the bolts that gives me 7/8" and they shoot very well on a micro with 15" bolts I also use them on my 355 with 17" bolts.
Drew

Post by Drew »

A lumenok will give you a nice 7/8" offset with the Arizona Bolt fletcher, which is about the minimum you can go on an Excal without getting major vane deformation from the scope mount.
Last edited by Drew on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Carey

Post by Carey »

My vanes bend a little by touching the scope mount even with 1 1/4 distance from nock to vanes. I just assumed that was normal??? If not normal, what am I doing wrong? Scope mount was already attached to rail/stock when received from Excalibur. Suggestions?? I'm using 2 in blazers.
Drew

Post by Drew »

You are fine Carey, you will get minimal vane deflection with 7/8" offset. Not enough to affect accuracy as far as I can tell anyway.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

I cut off a short piece of pencil and drop in to my Arizona Bolt so that my Blazers and set back 3/4"
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family