Scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

snuffbox

Scopes

Post by snuffbox »

There's been a bit of scopey chat on here recently and I have a couple of queries.
First off does anybody know what the Leupold parallax is set to.
Second ,I'm thinking of changing my crossbones to a scope with a simpler reticle,just cross hairs and posts possibly a Leupold VX1 3-9x40.
I'll be using it on an HHA Optimiser.
Are there any issues with parallax on the rifle scopes used on a crossbow.
Boo

Re: Scopes

Post by Boo »

Paulaboutform recently had a chat with a technician about that very same thing.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Leupold makes a 3-9x Ultralight with AO. Used to call it Compact, also was available with AO. Cheaper than a VXR.just a thought.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

snuffbox wrote:There's been a bit of scopey chat on here recently and I have a couple of queries.
First off does anybody know what the Leupold parallax is set to.
Second ,I'm thinking of changing my crossbones to a scope with a simpler reticle,just cross hairs and posts possibly a Leupold VX1 3-9x40.
I'll be using it on an HHA Optimiser.
Are there any issues with parallax on the rifle scopes used on a crossbow.
Oh great... a better scope so that next time you can beat me by an even wider margin at the prize shoot :( :lol:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Paul. As Don said I recently spoke to one of the techs at Luepold about this very thing. I have a couple of VX-R 3-9X40's and us the HHA Optimizer with all my bows....great choice btw.. :wink: I learned that the paralax setting on my scopes was set at 150yards from the factory. What I discovered because of shooting out to 110yards, is that if I was on a lower power out to say 65yards, if I increased my magnification for extended ranges my poi would change. So, the higher the magnification the more noticeable the paralax would be at closer range, but the closer you get to the 150yard mark, the less noticeable it was. After speaking to him I sent one of my scopes in and had the paralax setting changed to, I believe, 50yards (it's been a while and I haven't shot much or had time for testing). From what the tech explained to me, this should allow me to use higher magnification at the closer ranges on either side of 50yards without a change in poi.. I haven't had time to test it but I believe what he told me. Ideally, I can crank up to higher power from 50yards and further, as far as my Optimizer allows me to reach. On my current setup, without the paralax adjustment, I simply leave my scope set at 3.5× magnification for all ranges and it still yields some pretty good results. Hope this helps.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Thanks Paul
Yes it does help.
I would be shooting at a fixed mag of 7-8x not varying it at all so I was thinking that once zeroed at 20yds,on the optimiser all would be good at all distances
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

paulaboutform wrote:Hi Paul. As Don said I recently spoke to one of the techs at Luepold about this very thing. I have a couple of VX-R 3-9X40's and us the HHA Optimizer with all my bows....great choice btw.. :wink: I learned that the paralax setting on my scopes was set at 150yards from the factory. What I discovered because of shooting out to 110yards, is that if I was on a lower power out to say 65yards, if I increased my magnification for extended ranges my poi would change. So, the higher the magnification the more noticeable the paralax would be at closer range, but the closer you get to the 150yard mark, the less noticeable it was. After speaking to him I sent one of my scopes in and had the paralax setting changed to, I believe, 50yards (it's been a while and I haven't shot much or had time for testing). From what the tech explained to me, this should allow me to use higher magnification at the closer ranges on either side of 50yards without a change in poi.. I haven't had time to test it but I believe what he told me. Ideally, I can crank up to higher power from 50yards and further, as far as my Optimizer allows me to reach. On my current setup, without the paralax adjustment, I simply leave my scope set at 3.5× magnification for all ranges and it still yields some pretty good results. Hope this helps.

Paul
Paul,
I understand why the holdovers change with a second focal plane scope when you change magnifications but I don't understand why the POI would change when using the crosshairs. could you please explain.
norm
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Norm, I wish I could explain better but I'm certainly no pro. This was just my experience. When I was dead nuts perfect from 20yards - 50yards then worked my way out to 110yards I had to readjust my turrets. Then, after zeroing in at 100yards + and going back to 20yards - 50yards my zero was off. I was perplexed as I was able to shoot sub 2" groups at 100yards. Same arrows, perfect brace height and all off the bench with the led sled DFT. That's what prompted my call to Luepold and that's when the technical guy explained that the closer you get to the paralax setting the less noticeable it would be. In turn, the noticeable difference would be amplified and more pronounced shooting higher magnification at closer range. That was my understanding. As I said, I still haven't been able to get out and test my scope with the paralax adjustment. It was actually quite painless contacting Luepold and getting a tech on the phone. Maybe give it a shot, perhaps I missed something or misunderstood something? It's ppossible, it may have happened at some time before. :wink:

Paul
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Paul,
I also am no expert but have been reading a lot. It seems to me that parallax adjustment should have NO effect on POI of either a second focal plane or FFP scope...what effects the POI is one's inability to focus which makes the crosshairs appear to move...it is easier to focus when the parallax is set within ones range...but even if the parallax is set for 150 yds and you are shooting at 30 yds the crosshairs should be dead on providing you can manage to focus appropriately. My dream scope right now, Vortex PST FFP 2.5 -9X32 which has an adjustable parallax side knob....adjusting the parallax will not effect the POI, just one's ability to focus EASILY. so, Paul, I would guess having Leupold adjust your parallax didn't make your crosshairs more accurate, just your ability to focus and use that crosshair more effectively.
I am no expert so if I am off based someone please correct me.
norm
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

I think the parralax on Leupold shotgun scopes is set at 60 or 75 yards.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

You can beat parallax by making sure your eye is always centered with the center of the scope. I have done this over the years by simply drawing my head back till the outer edge of the image begins to blacken, make sure you have the same blacked out distance for the whole circumference of the objective. Doing this you are parallax free, and yes I have much experience with scopes from 60X down to 1.5x, a better scope at 12x wont be as bad as a cheap scope at 2x. But doing this you can take parallax out of the picture, but it's time consuming.

Now for hunting,,, I find it doesn't really matter as you are not talking inches,,, and as long as your centered on that kill zone,,, you will have a dead deer, but farther out where you have less parallax error,,, you definitely have nothing to worry about.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

wildcatter,
I agree . proper consistent cheek weld solves the parallax problem...having a parallax adjustment capability just makes it easier to achieve that....much more important for shooting paper than game.
norm
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

wildcatter wrote:You can beat parallax by making sure your eye is always centered with the center of the scope. I have done this over the years by simply drawing my head back till the outer edge of the image begins to blacken, make sure you have the same blacked out distance for the whole circumference of the objective. Doing this you are parallax free, and yes I have much experience with scopes from 60X down to 1.5x, a better scope at 12x wont be as bad as a cheap scope at 2x. But doing this you can take parallax out of the picture, but it's time consuming.

This is the same principle as centering your sight housing in your peep shooting vertical compounds. That never occurred to me with a scope but I'm certainly going to give it a try.Thanks.

Paul

Now for hunting,,, I find it doesn't really matter as you are not talking inches,,, and as long as your centered on that kill zone,,, you will have a dead deer, but farther out where you have less parallax error,,, you definitely have nothing to worry about.
SEW

Post by SEW »

wildcatter wrote:You can beat parallax by making sure your eye is always centered with the center of the scope. I have done this over the years by simply drawing my head back till the outer edge of the image begins to blacken, make sure you have the same blacked out distance for the whole circumference of the objective. Doing this you are parallax free, and yes I have much experience with scopes from 60X down to 1.5x, a better scope at 12x wont be as bad as a cheap scope at 2x. But doing this you can take parallax out of the picture, but it's time consuming.

This is both my understanding and experience.