OT: Open Carry

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: OT: Open Carry

Post by Boo »

Coon Gravy wrote:
Boo wrote:I think it sucks to live in a country where social issues make decent people carry a gun. I've never wished I carried and I thankful for that.
I agree it does suck, and I think things would be better if we all took the Big Lebowski approach to life but that's a pipe dream. Also I always forget that Excalibur is out of Canada and most of the good people on the forum are from the North. So just to clarify from my original post...

These are flip-flops.

Not to be confused with your version...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Coon, now that's funny! :lol:

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Possum

Post by Possum »

Kentucky is an open carry state. I live in a rural area and see many people open carry and no one in my part of the state seems bothered by those who carry openly. I prefer to carry my weapon hidden from view but the are times when I will carry in plain view for all to see. Such was the case a few years back in the mountains of Harlan County. Most of the people there are good people but there are those who have hidden crops that ain't so good and by my group being well heeled they.knew we wasn't Goin to get killed for lack of shooting back.
I believe that there are appropriate and inappropriate situations for both.
It sucks to live in a WORLD where people put no value on life. We can't rely on the police to be there to protect us all the time.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I've had my Texas CHL for almost 20 years and carry everywhere, but I have absolutely no plan to ever open carry.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Coon Gravy wrote:
Boo wrote:I think it sucks to live in a country where social issues make decent people carry a gun. I've never wished I carried and I thankful for that.
I agree it does suck, and I think things would be better if we all took the Big Lebowski approach to life but that's a pipe dream. Also I always forget that Excalibur is out of Canada and most of the good people on the forum are from the North. So just to clarify from my original post...

These are flip-flops.

Not to be confused with your version...
:lol: well said indeed! ....coming from the people's republic of Canada, I can tell you that if I had a choice I would want to carry concealed. Heck, I pay to have my phone number unpublished and unlisted, I don't want anyone knowing my business. If I was carrying it would be to preserve life. We bring up all the scenarios, but remember that they play in both directions. What about the guy that tries mugging you at knifepoint walking back to your car with your wife after having dinner downtown? When used responsibly, open or concealed, I'm not offended. Jmo.
...btw, the situation I described actually happened to a Texan I'm friends with in Dallas.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
rayman

Post by rayman »

I used to open carry while working in the woods sometimes. A buddy that was working with me wore his pistol into a breakfast joint once and they called the sheriff. I use to have trouble sometimes when I got pulled over for speeding and they saw the pistol. Made me get out and put my hands across the tailgate once while they unloaded the pistol and searched my truck. Just keep a 22 mag long gun behind truck seat and keep pistol in underwear drawer.

It would make me very uncomfortable to see guys just walking around with a pistol belt or shoulder holster. A lot of crazy people around. How do you know if a dude sporting a pistol is good guy or bad. if I pulled into gas station and saw a guy with a pistol walking around, I would keep going.
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

If you don't have a gun when you need one, you may never need one again. I carry. Have for years. In Texas, before open carry was passed, if your concealed carry could be imprinted (if you could see the outline of the gun in your pocket) you could be fined. With open carry, imprinting doesn't matter. I favor open carry for that reason only because there were times when I feared my carry could be seen by outline in my pocket. I never intend to let anyone know I am armed and have no intentions of hanging a pistol on my hip. This is Texas, but it ain't the old West. Unfortunately it is modern day. A friend went to get gas in his pickup one night. While he stood with the nozzle in his hand two young men got out of a car and looked all around before they approached him.One had a knife in hand. This was late at night. My friend reached his hand in his back pocket and said, "I don't think you want to enter a gunfight with a knife son. You don't want to do this." The two looked at each other, got back in their car and drove away. Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I wouldn't get outa bed without carrying,,,, but I can asure you no one will ever know that. Like OP said, to display it is the most irresponsible thing anyone could do,
1) it makes you the first target to any criminal
2) it upsets those we have to to fight for the right to carry to begin with
3) I hope I never need it,,, but I don't want to ever end up like some we see on TV weeping over losing our loved one because I never thought it could happen here!! If it does your only chance of stopping such chaos is being incognito,,,

Yes I can carry open in public here and it's been that way for a long time, but the only ones I ever seen do such a disrespectful thing to those who don't like it remind me of exactly what I don't want to be like!!

I will try and respect others while responsibly exercising my rights, and pray daily to God I never have to make a decision to use it!!!! Hopefully others will realize how useless it is to advertise to the ones you may ever need such a source of protection from, as those advertising just make sure they will be the first eliminated when criminal decide to attack,,,,, only an idiot would want to be a target,,,,,Image
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

you have to use common sense, I've carried concealed with permit for 50 years. I have been in situations where it was very comforting to have protection. If I ever have to pull it I will use it immediately, because my family or my life is in danger, only then. I do not like open carry because you become the first target.
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

You said it very well wildcatter
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
Richieg150

Post by Richieg150 »

TheBig1 wrote:I understand exactly what you're speaking of and completely agree with you. Personally, I'd never open carry. It only puts a bullseye on your back for when things do go wrong. A bad guy knows who the first person is that they have to take out.

Chad
Care to name any stats. that show that those who do open carry, are and have been the first person shot when someone has to be taken out, or the first one to be a target,or the only ones I ever seen do such a disrespectful thing to those who don't like it remind me of exactly what I don't want to be, or dont respect others while responsibly exercising their right to open carry, or don't pray to God daily hoping that they will never have to use it, but are prepared if that need arises. You forgot to point out that those who open carry are going to have some one come up and take their firearm away, or that the only ones who OC are guys with big ego's who feel the need to prove something, or that those who OC are irresponsible and just shouldn't do it, that those who OC make ALL those who CCW look bad.... Sounds like a group of anti gun, anti second amendment liberals. Who are arguing that THEIR way is the only right way, and why would anyone ever do it any other way, that the way THEY think is the right way. How about this thought, I know it may be hard for some out there, that those who OC do it because they don't want the element of surprise??? They want to be left alone..... That they believe that OC IS a crime deterrent, that criminals don't want to be shot, that criminals are looking for easy victims and don't want a gunfight? That they want to be left alone, then when they leave the bad guys who saw the OCer leave, will then become a bad guy and all those who are CCW, can use the element of surprise, get the drop on the bad guys,save the day, be the hero, and get on TV. CCWers always want that element of surprise.... I say good for you, myself... I say, Yes I'm OCing, leave me alone, let me go about my business, then when I leave.... do whatever you want to those that are still here. You know a rattle snake doesn't hide in the shadows then jump out and attack, it rattles his tail to let you know he is there, that he doesn't want and problem, here I am don't step on me. MAYBE a OCer is doing the same thing,yes I am here, I am not looking for trouble, don't step on me....but if you choose to step on me, you will get bit.
Psalm 144:1-1 Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.
2 He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I rest my case,,,,, Richieg150 I work with law enforcement officials regularly as the Range officer at our our local range, both those who certify qualifications for both LEO's and private citizens, as well as self defense instructors,, What I stated are from years of research and records, those are facts based on many years of real life incidents!! Not my own ideals, or backed by what I want to believe without facts and try and justify,,,, where did you come up with yours,,, Uncle Ted??? Maybe you could fill us in on how many years of your wisdom you are blessing us with???

Respect is two way street, and common sense is not a right,,, it is a privilege,, some have it,, and some don't,,,, some refuse to accept it.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Actually I have had and excerised a CCW for 37 years now ... ( along with several years of local competition in Combat shooting matches )

During this period I have only felt the need to present it 2 times. This was carried out both times at the suggestion of a 911 operator " If I felt confident to due so " until police could arrive...

On both occasssions arrests were made and prosecuted.
Both occasssions involved theft and or an attempted break in of anothers property.

In neither instance did a CCW come into play. Simply exposing the 6" 357 before making my presence known put a stop to the situation.

Other than in public places where the public may be "put off by a guns known presence", I do actually prefer to carry open. Especially around our rural year round home in a log cabin out here in the woods. I also prefer open carry while riding the quad, or out by myself hunting. I say this due to reaction time and ease of access while my hands may be temporarily full, or a sling has a rifle or crossbow strapped to my back, which may somewhat encumber my movement where clothing may be involved while trying to access a covered handgun.

Where I live, encounters with cougar, bear, bobcat, and now even the occassional wolf is a very real possibility along with the thought of that "2 Legged Varmint" ever present in the back of my mind.

At my age and with some physical problems now, :roll: I certainly can not hope to go hand to hand for long should the need ever arrise ... Either the Glock 19 or Kimber Ultra Carry at my waist is my best form of defense and much easier to access if not under a layer or two of clothing.

Just the thoughts and ramblings of an old guy :roll: who's not into physical confrontations any more. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

I am in Indiana and we can either conceal OR open carry. I conceal carry, with a compact gun in a pancake holster riding tight against me, covered by a shirt or coat :wink: . My b-i-l open carries, with a cheap WalMart clip on holster he wears on his pocket, holding a full size 5" auto :shock: . He does get a few looks when we go out in public. To my knowledge, he has never been confronted about it. I do not feel intimidated by open carry, and ask my wife regularly if she see's when someone has a gun on them, and does she feel threatened or intimidate ever. Never once has she felt nervous she said. So, in my opinion, if someone takes the time to have a proper holster, carries that gun in a proper manner, and acts civil, I am OK with it. Would I do it, no, unless I am hunting or walking thru the woods, or outside at home, where there are no neighbors. I always worried about the target on your back thing, but have never heard of it happening. As stated, it may be a deterrent for someone thinking about starting trouble, and worth getting in a gun battle. Who knows. To each their own.
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I heard on the radio news that there are leftist groups in Texas that are planning to target the open carry people. They are planning on calling the authorities when they see an open carry and actually lie, saying something to the effect that the person was acting in a reckless or threatening manner to try to get them arrested.

Some people have got nothing better to do with their lives than to try to make others miserable. :evil: