servings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

coolhl

servings

Post by coolhl »

I have tried wax on my servings, nothing on my servings, and now scorpion venom cam lube which definitely seems the best but ridiculously expensive for such a small amount. I was wondering: why not just plain "baby oil"?
norm
8ptbuk

Re: servings

Post by 8ptbuk »

How many shots are you getting on your serving ? Which Xbow ?
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

Baby oil does not have a high lubricity factor. If you want to try an oil, try olive oil. One thing I want to try is silicone "grease". It's a highly viscous (thick) lubricant used on O rings for scuba equipment, cameras, flashlights etc.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

8ptbuk wrote:How many shots are you getting on your serving ? Which Xbow ?
my Micro with TT trigger was chewing them up by 150 shots...
but the trigger was so good and it cost so little to reserve I wasn't really upset.
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Boo wrote:Baby oil does not have a high lubricity factor. If you want to try an oil, try olive oil. One thing I want to try is silicone "grease". It's a highly viscous (thick) lubricant used on O rings for scuba equipment, cameras, flashlights etc.
I was hoping you would respond...what I like about the scorpion serving lube is it penetrates well...the olive oil should do the same...the silicone grease looks like it may not penetrate as well...is that a concern?
norm
Boo

Post by Boo »

It will penetrate. It is not as thick as the word "grease" indicates. Aside from the viscosity, the capillary action will suck any light grease into the string and serving. Think about how butter gets sucked into paper.
Have you seen the second page of my website? It describes how to polish your latches.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

Boo wrote:Baby oil does not have a high lubricity factor. If you want to try an oil, try olive oil. One thing I want to try is silicone "grease". It's a highly viscous (thick) lubricant used on O rings for scuba equipment, cameras, flashlights etc.
That sounds like a good thing to try. I have used the stuff for years with my HPA rifles and pumps. Never even thought of using it on any of my archery strings. A little of that stuff goes along ways. (Silicone grease)
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Not meaning to hijack this thread; but when I first got started with my Matrix 380, I read all of Boo's web sight. If he'd write a book on the care, feeding and modification of Excalibur xbows , string care, arrow construction, arrow design, etc, I'd buy it!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Boo wrote:It will penetrate. It is not as thick as the word "grease" indicates. Aside from the viscosity, the capillary action will suck any light grease into the string and serving. Think about how butter gets sucked into paper.
Have you seen the second page of my website? It describes how to polish your latches.
I think I would follow Don's advice and polish my latches , Sounds like you might have a small imperfection on your latches .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Of course I read Don's pages at least three times! :)
just never got down to polishing the latch...I was thinking that actually
shooting the bow may polish it down a bit. plus Mike (Vixenmaster) reserved a
couple of strings really tight and that seemed to help.
also, I really believe the brace height line catches the string as it slides forward because of the downward pressure on the rail..and yes, I have read the threads on how to resolve that also :wink:
norm
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

coolhl wrote:
but the trigger was so good and it cost so little to reserve I wasn't really upset.
One of my TT triggers was doing the same. I called them on it and they will gladly fix it for me when I send it in. I feel they should fix it instead of me. I put in my factory trigger that I had personally taken apart and polished up and am liking it a whole lot better now than the TT with its problem of tearing up servings. And that tt upon pulling the trigger sends a shock ( energy )out to my finger that the factory triggers don't.? It's a unpleasant feel to the finger.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Heyu wrote:
coolhl wrote:
One of my TT triggers was doing the same. I called them on it and they will gladly fix it for me when I send it in. I feel they should fix it instead of me. I put in my factory trigger that I had personally taken apart and polished up and am liking it a whole lot better now than the TT with its problem of tearing up servings. And that tt upon pulling the trigger sends a shock ( energy )out to my finger that the factory triggers don't.? It's a unpleasant feel to the finger.
I had that stinging feeling in my finger before...it was a loose trigger block screw. Once I snugged it up, it went away.

I have two TT units and a factory Micro unit. The serving life on one of the TT units was demonstrably worse, so when the pre-travel got gritty I sent it in for replacement and asked that the latches on the new unit get an extra round of polishing and I am getting improved serving life. Out of that bow, I was lucky to get 50-100 shots before, I'm now getting closer to 500 before wear is evident.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
cedo1974

Post by cedo1974 »

Hey, I'm new to the world of crossbows. I have a Micro, which I love by the way, and it eats servings. I had to get my original string reserved after a couple hundred shots. I used the recommended wax, but what I've done differently with my back up string is I melt the serving wax by rubbing it in with a piece of leather. I have well over 400 shots in on the new string and although the serving is soft and needs to be pushed over once-in-a-while, it has stayed intact.