M405

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

M405

Post by SEW »

Is it confirmed that the M405 is going out of production? It is my favorite Xbow . Second place is my M380. If I owned a Sol 390, it'd be virtually tied with the M380. Just can't have everything I want.
vixenmaster

Re: M405

Post by vixenmaster »

I have no hard facts yet on this out of production of the 405. Of Course Excal is a private Company & doesn't have to disclose their models bein deleted. I spect all of this has to do wid the Marketin n the new models, limb troubles n ATA show next week. We will know soon enuff i reckon
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I think everyone shoulda seen this come'n,,,, you can only ignore the facts for so long!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
SEW

Post by SEW »

I've been shooting 398.3g arrows, and none lighter, thru my 405 for at least 700 trouble free shots. However, I'll be going to 430-450g for penetration reasons, and the fact that I want lighted nocks. Though many of the reported 405 failures seem to be arrow weight irrespective, the heavier arrows can't hurt. My limbs are so attenuated (Air Brakes, Dr Stirrup silencers & string stops, heavy string/silencers) that maybe this has been a factor in my trouble free experience. Also, I wonder just what the failure percentage rate really is with properly treated 405s. I'm sure Mike Hall's 405 was well treated.
Rusty Gate

Post by Rusty Gate »

Also curious what the future holds. I've been shooting 20" 410 gr arrows from the get go out of my 405. This is my first crossbow. And thanks to all the good folks on this board received a lot of good schooling along the way...brace height in particular. This shortened my learning curve for sure! I did switch over to a nice 8ptbuck Flemish string this year, and like it a lot! :D But basically the bow is stock, other then the arrow and string upgrade. I went through the trigger recall w/o a hitch. The limbs are the original pair...even pulled the rookie bonehead move of a dry fire, thank you ADF! I wish I had kept a closer count of actual shots, but honestly it just never crossed my mind to do so...I've shot it a lot though. I have no doubt Excal will be there for me should the need arise. But like other's I'm curious to see how the future replacement limbs evolve for us 405 guys going forward...time will tell I guess. Love my 405!!!

RG
wapster

Post by wapster »

I have seen 2 barn burner "clean out" models for sale from Canadian businesses. Both were 380's, havent seen any word yet on clearing shelves of the 405. Maybe the 380 will get the chopping block first?
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

wapster wrote:I have seen 2 barn burner "clean out" models for sale from Canadian businesses. Both were 380's, havent seen any word yet on clearing shelves of the 405. Maybe the 380 will get the chopping block first?
Could this be the beginning of the end of the "speed wars". Wouldn't it be ironic if the Exo-series models were to be resurrected.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

dont see the light arrow thing as the issue. there arent many arrows that come stock at 350 grains. even the ones supplied with a 150 grain tip.many are shooting black eagle executioners or zombies that are well into the 400grs. its the limbs i say not abuse. :mrgreen:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

ComfyBear wrote:
wapster wrote:I have seen 2 barn burner "clean out" models for sale from Canadian businesses. Both were 380's, havent seen any word yet on clearing shelves of the 405. Maybe the 380 will get the chopping block first?
Could this be the beginning of the end of the "speed wars". Wouldn't it be ironic if the Exo-series models were to be resurrected.
Lou, I still have two of the Exo series bows. Every time I shoot them they become my "new favorite bow" ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I personally sold the Micro, 330, Exomax, and Vixen II, along with the Phoenix which I am still running around on a sprain knee from kicking myself in the ass over!! The Phoenix I wish I woulda kept, my favorite in the EXO line. But the 330 Matrix was one I may have again,,, but now I have the Lynx & Mad Max both 380's and both my favorite hunting bows! I finally bought the 405 and now this,,, aint had a chance to shoot it much as I aint changing hunting gear with 6 weeks of season left,,, but with over 100 hours at full draw, and I just checked only 32 shots its drilling arrows right where I aim,,,, but more than ever I am now crossing my fingers every time I cock it,,,, and that's a bummer!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
SEW

Post by SEW »

I don't know much about limb construction . I've heard of Barnsdale limbs, but that's it. Are there custom limb makers? Is it possible/practical to make a more reliable limb? I wish we knew the %age of actual 405,380,Micro failures. I've owned The 380 & 405 for 3 & 2 seasons respectively with no problems. I hunt and shoot a lot. 398.3g arrows. Not that heavy though I plan on putting Firenocks and heavier inserts on my arrows to bring the weight to 430-450g/
Thoughts, ideas?
Last edited by SEW on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i dont have but about 50 shots on 405 had a sliver pop up glued it down so far still good really not going to worry about limbs they should have this limb thing under control soon never shot arrows less than 400 gr got air brakes on it .my 380 is my go to bow i do like lighted nocks also the 405 may be priceless pretty soon if everybody keeps cutting them down hehehe
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

I think if you have a 380-405 with a lot of shots on it your all set and have a nice set of limbs..my black 380 had a ton of shots never a limb problem (sold)..limbs just were mixed with over heated ones and the failures were low compared to the large amount of bows sold..theres most likely a ton ppl with 380-405 bows that don't get on the net and never have a problem we just here about the few here..i did talk with peter and that is what it seamed to be..my 355 cocks nice and even through the draw cycle like the exomag that's the bow peter sent..so maybe just better control over limbs and the speed bows will work fine..i miss the 405 which ruined targets even practicing @40-50 yrds..the new magnum yes I can wait I be shooting that and the 355 will be back up..HAPPY NEW YEAR !!................( wanted 405 rail )
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

otisbrazwell wrote:I think if you have a 380-405 with a lot of shots on it your all set and have a nice set of limbs..my black 380 had a ton of shots never a limb problem (sold)..limbs just were mixed with over heated ones and the failures were low compared to the large amount of bows sold..theres most likely a ton ppl with 380-405 bows that don't get on the net and never have a problem we just here about the few here..i did talk with peter and that is what it seamed to be..my 355 cocks nice and even through the draw cycle like the exomag that's the bow peter sent..so maybe just better control over limbs and the speed bows will work fine..i miss the 405 which ruined targets even practicing @40-50 yrds..the new magnum yes I can wait I be shooting that and the 355 will be back up..HAPPY NEW YEAR !!................( wanted 405 rail )
Happy New Year All!!! The overheated limbs is this the case of the limbs failures? First I've seen on this! If possible who or where did this info come from?? Thanks...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

peter (marketing dude) customer service