Crossbow vs.Compound Bow.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

j.krug

Re: Crossbow vs.Compound Bow.

Post by j.krug »

For years I owned both a compound bow and a crossbow and have taken many deer with each. Over the past few years my eyesight is such that it is difficult to see both the target and sight when shooting a compound so I stopped using it and used only crossbow. The scope allows me to shoot problem free with no vision issues.

Another issue that I have, and this is a personal choice, is that I now live in town and don't have a place to practice to stay proficient with a compound bow. It takes regular shooting to stay sharp with a compound and I would not hunt if I did not feel confident shooting with one. The crossbow requires much less practice to stay sharp with in my opinion. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

It could be a touchy question I suspect... :shock:

But, I have often wondered how many bow hunters regardless of the type of bow used, are hunting that way due to a conviction that prevents them from hunting with or owning firearms ?

Just a thought and hope it's taken as so. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

W.Miguire wrote:I just like to hunt . I like hunting with my Excal. the best if someone wants to use a long bow or compound or recurve let them . if we as hunters don't stick together. some day we will have no hunting . that is my opinion .
W.M.
I think we are very close to that now. If you don't own your own land there will be no where to hunt.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

L. E. Carroll wrote:It could be a touchy question I suspect... :shock:

But, I have often wondered how many bow hunters regardless of the type of bow used, are hunting that way due to a conviction that prevents them from hunting with or owning firearms ?

Just a thought and hope it's taken as so. :wink:

Gene
In Ontario Canada they include crossbows in a weapons ban because it has a trigger. Extreme cases they will include bows also but it is not normal practise.

CHEERS!
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

I own 2 Mathews, and my latest purchase was a Hoyt Carbon spyder. I bought a matrix 380 strictly out of curiosity, never shot a crossbow nor hunted with one. My Hoyt, and Mathews have not seen outside since my excal purchase. I can't even recall the amount of times I've had deer look up at me coming to full draw on a vertical bow. Crossbow cocked= problem solved. Love my crossbow in a ground blind! IMHO X bow is far superior when it comes to stealth before the shot, and accuracy after

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I get an email about stuff on Archery Talk every so often and saw a post on this over there through that email. The first reply was essentially "crossbows are not archery" blah, blah, blah. "Only handicapped people should be allowed to use them", blah, blah, blah...I just don't understand the mentality. I started using a crossbow when I lived in OH and wanted to bowhunt but did not have enough time in the day to practice enough. My kids were young and involved in sport, and I coached and volunteered both there and at my church...all good things.......and they took priority over everyday practice with my bow so I would be confident enough to fire an arrow at an animal. Sure, I was probably OK enough to hit a deer, but that's just not good enough for me. So a crossbow allowed me to be accurate enough with much less practice time. It allowed me to bow hunt and feed my family and also be able to spend time with them doing things they wanted to do. When I hear all the "it's not archery BS, I simply ask the person if they instinctively shoot a recurve vert bow. And if they say no, which most do, then I simply turn the tables on them. Front and rear sights (possibly lighted), drop away rests, 75% let off, a release aid with a trigger on it, stabilizers........I'm just sayin.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Retired CPO

Post by Retired CPO »

I wonder if the folks turning their noses up at crossbows would believe for a second that Native Americans would not have jumped all over hunting crossbows if they had been available. How many more babies would have survived with a more reliable source of meat in the lodges?... And I have no doubt that that goes as well for hunting in the present age.
But I have to admit, it might not have been good news for the US Army.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I started with the old fiberglass Fred Bear recurve bow as a kid/spam ager,Worked my way up to the Bear Compound Bow.Shot compound bows up until 3 years ago(59 years old),and finally had to switch to a crossbow due to left shoulder being dislocated twice and having a torn left rotator cuff/cup,which I still haven't had operated on.Hopefully I can hold out and still use my rope cocker.If not,then time for a crank or CO2 cocker.
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

I got so sick of something always needing tweaking or adjusting on my vertical bow. I was not willing to accept the 10yard limitation my abilities with a recurve provide me, so I bought the best recurve crossbow I could.

I'm perfectly capable of drawing a vert bow. I see very little difference between a compound V bow and crossbow. Now if you want to compare a Vert recurve to a crossbow, then you have a legit argument on your hands.

But I digress. A crossbow just works better for me now.

Regards,

B
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

I love my crossbow!! I don't have the time to practice with a vertical bow. It's just a fact. It would be irresponsible for me to hunt with one but I still want to be in the field. I don't care who hunts with what, but that's just my philosophy! :wink:
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings