Serving Wax and Accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

va3cgt

Serving Wax and Accuracy

Post by va3cgt »

So I got my new Micro last week and had a chance today to try her out. I drive up to the property and walk 3 miles though 2 feet of snow....just kidding. Short walk through the snow, set up the Block, get the arrows out, hook up the rope cocker only to realize I forgot to wax the serving. Bone dry. So I took about ten shots and put a little snow on the serving. I noticed at 20 yards my shots were either to the right or to the left. Just couldn't get it dialed in just right. Double checked that the limbs weren't broken, everything looked fine. I'm guessing a dry server would affect accuracy??

Re: Serving Wax and Accuracy

Post by newbie »

Freehand? What arrows? Did you check exk to make sure all bolts and fasteners were tight?
Last edited by newbie on Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

Were you shooting free hand or from a shooting rest?
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Shooting from a rest with stock Quill arrows and 100gn field points.

Post by newbie »

Shoot one arrow only to sight in.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

I had this issue last year with my M355, then I noticed 2 screws that mount the scope rail were loose, I simply removed them, added loctite and problem solved. I doubt it was your serving that was the issue. Did you recently oil the trigger mechanism? I ask because today was cold up in mount Albert, and that will affect the pull of your trigger if it's gummy with thick trigger oil.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

va3cgt wrote:Shooting from a rest with stock Quill arrows and 100gn field points.
Don't the stock quills come with 150gr points.....or 125gr points? I'm assuming they do. Here's the thing, you've got a shorter projectile as it is which I believe loses in flight stability more quickly than a longer projectile with equivalent spine. If you're using 100gr points that may be your issue. I think that especially with the micro you need to maintain the higher FOC you achieve with the heavier points out front or heavier brass inserts inside the front end. That's my first assumption anyway. BTW., recheck all your fasteners, especially your scope mount screws. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Wouldn't think wax was causing your accuracy problems . Doesn't sound like very good conditions to shoot in . I would check ALL screws and try it again under better conditions .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Horizontal shots that hit a touch left or right of the dot would be couple of things. Stretchin string n arrows that need to find the best tune on the vanes as you choot you turn cock vane til its hittin same each time. I put a dot on one vane n turn & choot
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

all good advice. first check ALL the screws that hold the scope mount. use only one arrow to sight in, mark each vane with a dot 1 2 3 shoot each dot until you get a good group. you should not have to oil your trigger. it is lubed at the factory when assembled. use little wax on your serving . to much will gather dirt and clog up your trigger. as you shoot you will learn the in's and outs . keep your brace height set and you should be golden. good luck with your new bow.
W.M.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I can't say that I ever produced my best groups when shivering.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Make sure the rollers in your rope cocker roll freely and make a concerted effort to cock evenly. Waxing your serving helps to prevent cocking the bow crooked by allowing the string to slide in the hooks in a minor way.
Check your serving for separation.
Do a nut and bolt check on every fastener including your stock and scope.
Check your brace height.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna check everything over and head out in the cold again today.....with a waxed serving this time. I did notice when I put snow on the rail (because the serving was dry) and serving, then cocked and fired, the arrow was bang on center. Once the water dried up she was pulling shots a wee bit to the left or a wee bit to the right. Anyway I'll check it out again today.

Post by newbie »

There are lots of folks that do not wax their serving at all. Have no issues with accuracy.
Im betting its one or a combination of the arrows not grouping the same, loose fasteners, or shooter error. (no offence)
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

newbie wrote:There are lots of folks that do not wax their serving at all. Have no issues with accuracy.
Im betting its one or a combination of the arrows not grouping the same, loose fasteners, or shooter error. (no offence)
I just checked all the screws and found the scope rings were 'snug'. So I tightened them up. Off to the bush now to give it a shot and we'll see what happens.