Bolt help!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Goober

Bolt help!!!

Post by Goober »

Hey guys and gals. I'm getting my grizzly set up and need some help. I have the 18" diablo bolts and feild heads that came with the bow. It says they are 350g.
My wife got me a set of 18" diablo bolts for valentine's day with luminocks. I'm wondering what grain broad heads to purchase so they are the same weight as the target bolts?
REMINGTON 870 EXP
2013 REMINGTON 700 BDL .270 WIN CDLUX W/NIKON PROSTAFF 3X9X40
1978 REMINGTON 700 BDL .300 WIN MAG CDLX W/LEUPOLD VXII 3X9X40
2014 SAVAGE AXIS .223 REM
2014 RUGER 10/22 GREEN/GREY ANNIVERSARY EDITION
AND A FEW OTHER LIL CLOSET PLINKERS
j.krug

Re: Bolt help!!!

Post by j.krug »

Weigh both the new and the old arrows with no field point in them. The difference between the two will be what you need to add or subtract from the broadhead to match weight. Most likely it is going to be an oddball number that you will not be able to match.

If that's the case you may need to adjust the weight of the nocks in your original arrows. File a little off to reduce or use short lengths of threaded rod or other material to add weight. Doing this would also keep your FOC the same for both sets of arrows. Matching the weight of the nocks would also simply keeping the weight of field points and broadheads the same in case you ever wanted to interchange them between sets of arrows.

Hope this helps. :)

Truth be told I shoot regular nocks in my practice arrows and Luminoks in my hunting arrows. I use the same weight field point/broadhead and don't worry about the small difference in the nock weight. I don't notice any difference in accuracy and neither do all the dead deer. :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

When deer season comes just Tweak your hunting arrows if you like that is what I do ...
Goober

Post by Goober »

j.krug wrote:Weigh both the new and the old arrows with no field point in them. The difference between the two will be what you need to add or subtract from the broadhead to match weight. Most likely it is going to be an oddball number that you will not be able to match.

If that's the case you may need to adjust the weight of the nocks in your original arrows. File a little off to reduce or use short lengths of threaded rod or other material to add weight. Doing this would also keep your FOC the same for both sets of arrows. Matching the weight of the nocks would also simply keeping the weight of field points and broadheads the same in case you ever wanted to interchange them between sets of arrows.

Hope this helps. :)

Truth be told I shoot regular nocks in my practice arrows and Luminoks in my hunting arrows. I use the same weight field point/broadhead and don't worry about the small difference in the nock weight. I don't notice any difference in accuracy and neither do all the dead deer. :lol:
What if you don't use nocks? Just the bolt ends like it days in the manual?
REMINGTON 870 EXP
2013 REMINGTON 700 BDL .270 WIN CDLUX W/NIKON PROSTAFF 3X9X40
1978 REMINGTON 700 BDL .300 WIN MAG CDLX W/LEUPOLD VXII 3X9X40
2014 SAVAGE AXIS .223 REM
2014 RUGER 10/22 GREEN/GREY ANNIVERSARY EDITION
AND A FEW OTHER LIL CLOSET PLINKERS
Boo

Post by Boo »

Your total weight should be pretty close between arrows with Lumenoks and arrows with aluminum rear nocks. I would use the 150 gr field tips that your kit should have come with. Total weight with field tips should be 400 gr. Expect better accuracy using the 150 gr broadheads out to 30/40 yards because of a better FOC.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

What if you don't use nocks? Just the bolt ends like it days in the manual?[/quote]

Just to be certain, you aren't planning to shoot with a completely raw bolt end are you? Open, hollow tube, facing the string?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hi5 wrote:What if you don't use nocks? Just the bolt ends like it days in the manual?

Just to be certain, you aren't planning to shoot with a completely raw bolt end are you? Open, hollow tube, facing the string?[/quote]
Well that would be exciting! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes