Impression on the Bulldog at Boo's place

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Impression on the Bulldog at Boo's place

Post by Boo »

Thanks to Excalibur for sending the Boofest raffle Bulldog to me early! It was sent to me so to entertain you guys that came to my house for arrow building lessons. Pretty cool of Excalibur!
I know that many are sitting on the fence over the Bulldog, so here are my impressions on the bow.
1) It is lighter, noticeably so
2) It is way better balanced than any other bow that Excalibur has ever made. It is not nose heavy like the 405.
3) While this is still a bit of a beast for guys my height, compared to the 405, it is easier to cock.
4) The trigger is really nice. Excalibur is doing better with their triggers. Yeah!
5) If you sit with the bow on your lap, it fits just right.
6) For those who are shooting long range targets with the bow they hunt with, you can use a 20" arrow. Maybe an 22" even.
C
Your comments?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
foofoo

Re: Impression on the Bulldog at Boo's place

Post by foofoo »

question? does the riser have the new black roll spacers in between the recoil plates like i received on my Matrix 405 replacement. was wondering if those spacers are on all the Matrix models now. also noticed on my 405 that the recoil plates rubber dont touch the limbs. there is a gap now because the spacers dont allow the plates with the rubber wassher to sit against the limbs like on all my other Excaliburs. just wondering if there is a design change?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Yes, they are using spacers rather than shoulder bolts for the recoil plates. It's about time!
You should talk to Peter if you have an air gap between the recoil plate rubbers and the limbs. The purpose of the plates is to push against the limbs to snub movement which reduces noise and vibration. They don't have to push hard to work.
There is no design change per se. It would be fair to call the Bulldog a different bow. There are way too many changes in physical appearance (riser, trigger linkage, stock etc), ergonomics (balance, cocking effort, noise level etc) and performance (noise, cocking effort, lowered preload etc). They designed and built an overall better bow.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Ugh Don, can a custom stock be fitted being that it is a bullpup trigger? Wait, I can answer that. Yes, Yes it can! Thanks for the quick informative response Don. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

I am not sure about 14 inch draw at 280 lbs.
I think my limit was the Matrix 380, and now that my back is starting to give me a problem , I am going to have to get a C2 crank.
Again I am not tall 5' 6" and 68 years old and not getting any younger.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

my 405 has the usual shoulder bolts and they go through the spacer. the newest style 405 riser looks to have some angle relief at the edge where the limbs leave the riser. the gapin the recoil plates is present cocked or not. thanks for the info! owning a Mega 405 has been a roller coaster. :roll:
Normous

Post by Normous »

I shot the Bulldog indoors shot last night and found the ergonomics very fitting except for my long reach, an added inch or so in the stock would be preferable to make my fit better.

Like everyone else has mentioned, I find the trigger very acceptable out of the box compared to a couple older Excaliburs that I have owned in the past.

Lastly, the overall weight and balance did raise the corners of my lips.

Will I buy one right now? Well, I would love to have one but my current 405 and Custom Micro 355 still has me smiling bigtime and I'm not sure that the Bulldog could replace that at the moment.
Last edited by Normous on Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

So I have been teetering back and forth since the SHOT show regarding the decision to buy a Bulldog. Do I really need it NO. Do I think it would be nice to have, YES.
When I saw Don’s post this morning regarding the bolt length it pushed me over the hump and I went to Cabela’s today and spent all my points and ordered the Bulldog. Will have it in my hands in about 10 days. For me the ability to load an 18 inch bolt and have it recessed below the stirrup and not have to worry about it tinking on the hanger is a great benefit.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Spike Country

Post by Spike Country »

Boo when you have a chance could you post measurements of the bulldogs width cocked and uncocked. Maybe even the weight with the xb30 pro you have mounted in the other thread.

Thanks
MICHIGAN MEAT HUNTER "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
Proud member of the Michigan Crossbow Federation!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Spike Country wrote:Boo when you have a chance could you post measurements of the bulldogs width cocked and uncocked. Maybe even the weight with the xb30 pro you have mounted in the other thread.

Thanks
I haven't mounted a Hawke scope on this Bulldog.
Measurements are 30 and 23.25".
ROGER THAT

Post by ROGER THAT »

weight is 9.5lbs
>>====>
Work Hard Hunt Harder
Matrix 380 Xtra (Serenity)
Matrix 405 (cwn annwn)
Matrix Bulldog 400 (Acwellen)
Matrix Grizzly (Armel)
Micro 355 (Siofra)
Boo

Post by Boo »

zombie wrote:Love the camo on the B/D! :wink:
Have you seen it in person Gus? If you haven't you're going to love it even more. It looks like Excalibur is doing a better job at applying the camo than their vendor was. Although they may show up later, the one that I have at my house has no air void lines in the limbs. The texture is pretty "grippy" as well.
Boo

Post by Boo »

zombie wrote:Just pics, Don! I like what I've been seeing. Just waitin' on Cabela's & Bass Pro to get some stock... :wink:
You're going to love it! I thought I wanted one after checking it out at the ATA, but now that I shot and fondled it a bit more, I need one!

Post by newbie »

Just let her shoot it Gus :wink:
I decided this will be my next bow after shooting it again at Dons.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Boo wrote:... They designed and built an overall better bow.

For those who are shooting long range targets with the bow they hunt with, you can use a 20" arrow.
Damn. Just... Damn!! :shock:

AAAAAARGH!!! :lol:

Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."