One more coyote

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fratri

One more coyote

Post by fratri »

Normally golf and fishing mode kick in by now, but with this weather/snow coyote hunting keeps creeping in. After being stuck in the house most of the weekend because of the weather, I decided to get out and go for a walk/hunt after dinner. Not the best weather for golf but good weather for hunting. 

I got to the farm and setup by 7:15 pm…. I placed my ecaller/decoy about 30 yds away. I started off with a few howls and then went to dying rabbit sounds. Called with some hands calls on and off for 15 minutes or so before I think I notice something on the edge of the bush about 150-160 yds out….My gun is sitting on the shooting sticks already pointing in that direction, so I slowly put my head down on the scope and sure enough something is there.

It was a good couple of yards into the tree line so I wasn’t sure if it was a cat, coyote or fox. I had my ecaller playing on a low dying rabbit sound. I increased the volume and the critter stepped out confirming it’s a coyote. The small male sat there on the edge for a good 2 minutes looking head on toward me. I dare not move. I was not sure if he saw me move as I was calling (hand calls) or not so I kept still. After two minutes he turned and began to walk along the edge of the bushline.

I was following him through my scope, I cranked it up to 9 and watched him. He made it to the bottom of the hill and stood there broadside. Not knowing what he was going to do, I decided to shoot. I pull the trigger, opps, nothing happens…..safety still on…silly me, I scramble to take safety off, aim right at his front shoulder, squeeze that trigger and hear the bullet hit. He spins once and runs into the bush. Foxbang kicks in and I wait 5 minutes nothing shows so I pack up my gear.

I walk over to impact, no blood, WTF, did I miss? I second guess myself (even though I heard impact). I follow up on his tracks and find blood spraying 10yds in…. 30 yds later I find him piled up. The shot was behind the shoulder but a little low creating a big exit hole on the other side.

How I found him
Not a big coyote, most likely this last spring’s pup.
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
drkeenan

Re: One more coyote

Post by drkeenan »

Nice. I kill at least one dog every deer season and keep promising I'm going to do some coyote hunting but never seem to get out there.
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Wow these ecallers really do work! Where I live theres a lot of coyotes around and no one hunts them, may I ask what does one do with them after killing them?

Thanks for posting some pics. :D
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Great story Frank! Congrats on yet another successful hunt.

I got out yesterday morning but the wind was relentless. It was blowing around 35mph with gusts up to 60mph. I must say that on top of the mountain I think that the sustained wind WAS 60mph. Needless to say after the first set I packed it up and just drove around looking at new spots and setting up the set in my head for the next trip.

I'm looking forward to being able to tell my story at some point.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on another one
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Well done Frank! Love your coyote hunting threads. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

ihunt wrote:Wow these ecallers really do work! Where I live theres a lot of coyotes around and no one hunts them, may I ask what does one do with them after killing them?

Them's some mighty fine vittles!!!!! :lol:

Yotes are the fruit of the woods. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it. Dey’s uh, yote-kababs, yote creole, yote gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There’s pineapple yote, lemon yote, coconut yote, pepper yote, yote soup, yote stew, yote salad, yote and potatoes, yote burger, yote sandwich. That- that’s about it.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

TheBig1 wrote:
ihunt wrote:Wow these ecallers really do work! Where I live theres a lot of coyotes around and no one hunts them, may I ask what does one do with them after killing them?

Yotes are the fruit of the woods. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it. Dey’s uh, yote-kababs, yote creole, yote gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There’s pineapple yote, lemon yote, coconut yote, pepper yote, yote soup, yote stew, yote salad, yote and potatoes, yote burger, yote sandwich. That- that’s about it.
Not to HI-JACK this thread I didn't know you can eat them :o
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

ihunt wrote:
TheBig1 wrote:

Not to HI-JACK this thread I didn't know you can eat them :o

YouTube :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Darned good hunting, and darned good shooting, too.

I sure hope you aren't going to let it go to waste, now.

Boo, (Don), is looking to get together a supply of skinned, gutted, and fresh frozen coyote carcasses. He's saving them up for his get together in July (Boofest). He's going to serve them up as a special treat for ALL visitors to his gathering.

Boofest is always well attended, so he needs to put up a pretty big supply.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.