Which Slick Trick to use?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GRUNDY

Re: Which Slick Trick to use?

Post by GRUNDY »

vixenmaster wrote:I reckon the key to good blood trails is to hit them low n have entry n exit. You hit'em high it takes jus abit fer the chest cavity to fill up wid blood. By then they are usually on the ground n the blood be spillin out!
This is very true.

I've smacked a few high lung type with big expandables, and had mediocre blood trails, or very sparse until near where they went down.

One of the more gruesome blood trails I've seen was from a fixed blade montec... Yup it was a low exit
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
Carey

Post by Carey »

Seems that the answer is, "Hit em low and pass thru." Which head is not that important, as long as it is accurate and pass thru? Is the consensus that low is 1/3 up from the bottom of the chest cavity?
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Carey wrote:Seems that the answer is, "Hit em low and pass thru." Which head is not that important, as long as it is accurate and pass thru? Is the consensus that low is 1/3 up from the bottom of the chest cavity?
I don't buy this theory at all. The circulatory system is under pressure. The last several deer I have shot have had blood right at the spot where I hit them or within 1 yard. When on the ground I aim 1/2 way up the body and right behind the leg. That should pretty much center punch the lungs. That's when you get a good blood trail. Blood from both the entry and exit holes as well as the nose/mouth. Hit the heart and you won't hit much lung and you might not get much blood. But generally the deer won't go far (less than 100yds, and typically 50).
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

8ptbuk wrote:
Hester0305 wrote:I currently use the Grizztrick 2 it shoots great out to 40 yards and cuts a hugh hole, I've shot the Slick trick mag for years and it shot well also. The Slick Trick Standard will probably fly the best next to your field points because it has less wind deflection because of the smaller cutting diameter. My Grizztricks don't fly exactly with my field points but I zero my scope to my broadheads a couple of before season starts. Good luck with your choice theres a lot of great choices out there.
Great Thread ! Hester, In your opinion does the Grizzltrick leave a better blood trail than the the standard Slicks ? Was not too impressed with the standard slick last year, Shot great but the Blood trail was non existent . Thanks
They seem to do for me because of the big hole it punches in them. it punches a big hole in turkeys also. I've had deer spray blood everywhere even at the exit of the arrow.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Hester0305 wrote:
8ptbuk wrote:
Hester0305 wrote:I currently use the Grizztrick 2 it shoots great out to 40 yards and cuts a hugh hole, I've shot the Slick trick mag for years and it shot well also. The Slick Trick Standard will probably fly the best next to your field points because it has less wind deflection because of the smaller cutting diameter. My Grizztricks don't fly exactly with my field points but I zero my scope to my broadheads a couple of before season starts. Good luck with your choice theres a lot of great choices out there.
Great Thread ! Hester, In your opinion does the Grizzltrick leave a better blood trail than the the standard Slicks ? Was not too impressed with the standard slick last year, Shot great but the Blood trail was non existent . Thanks
They seem to do for me because of the big hole it punches in them. it punches a big hole in turkeys also. I've had deer spray blood everywhere even at the exit of the arrow.
Thanks for the reply ! Mike
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]