Arrow length

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dzohio

Arrow length

Post by Dzohio »

Just bought Excalibur Grizzly and cannot wait to shoot it. My Horton Legend limbs splintered so wanted to go recurve on new. I have my Carbon Express 20" bolts that are like new and I absolutely love. My question is can I have them cut them down to 18" to the recommended length or would it be fine to shoot them at 20"?I have always used 20" bolts so it is new to me to use bolts smaller than 20". Thanks for the advice.
xcaliber

Re: Arrow length

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on the new bow. The length depends on many things, but the 20" will work. The issue is that they would hang over the end of the stirrup which makes it hard to hang the bow in the stand, and you might drag the tip of the broadhead against brush. i would cut them down to where the broadheads you like fit inside the stirrup, but not short enough to get your foot under it. When you go to uncock the bow at the end of a hunt, you don't want to put an arrow through the top of your foot!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Another issue may be the nocks? I'm not sure what style nocks are used on Hortons?

Excalibur reccommends flat nocks, either plastic or alluminum.

I have heard "half moon" nocks work, but have no personal experience with them. With that stye nock you would have to pay attention to get the cock vane into the groove so the string runs the same direction and fits into the nock correctly. Otherwise it would be very easy to end up with serving dammage or in the worst case, a cut thru your string from the sharp outer edges of the nock.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Dzohio

Post by Dzohio »

Thanks for the info guys. I will def shoot the Diablos that came with it but I will get my carbon express to the bow shop and cut em down. The carbons do come with flat nocks also.
Kožak

Post by Kožak »

Hi :) .. I shoot 18 "and 20" "arrows and one half of them are flat nock and the second half moon nock. Both work fine, just need to watch over the proper application of the arrow.
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

I have a grizzly cub and shooting 2219's at 17.25 in and they fly great. Also have the diablos and even cut some down to 16 in.