Latest vane testing.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Latest vane testing.

Post by SEW »

This evening I did just what I didn't want to do! I wanted to fish as the fish in my pond were extremely active. However, there was just no wind. Dead calm.
No choice, I had to shoot the M405 / various vanes with FOCs. The FOCs were indexed 6/12. The 300s were appx 1" lower than the Blazers/SK200s which had the same impact points.
Multiple groups were shot with each of the 3 vanes: SK200, SK300, Blazers. Every time the groups were virtually identical, w/i 0.2" with each vane configuration.
Here are the results: all at 80 yds off a Hart adj rest/#13 rear bag, no flags---
SK 200 - 1 1/4"
Blazers - 1"
SK300 - 1/2" time after time

I've NEVER obtained this level of accuracy ever before. Group after group. I just kept shooting the 300s 3 shots after 3 shots (only have 3 practice FOC broadheads.

This is the 3rd group. Others were all the same.
SEW

Re: Latest vane testing.

Post by SEW »

This is a picture of my pond levy which is one my ranges. My card table, "benchrest table" is just in front of the Jon boat 80 yds back down the levy.
1" and less 80 yd groups , with arrows, are just incredible to me. The arrow is there in just over 1/2 second!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Wow thats a real surprise Steve. I figured as good as the 300's shoot the 200's would shoot as good or better than the blazers. Thanks for the results, I will be watching fer your results when you try these in some wind, the drift from POA to POI will be interesting from your wind test for each. good stuff,,,,,AGAIN!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

That's tremendous Steve. Awesome shooting! I know how much attention to detail it takes to shoot those groups. It seems those larger vanes do exactly what they're made to do, stabilize that arrow quickly. Looks great! :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Getting any gun, bow, xbow exactly sighted in and getting projectiles that are optimized is the first step. All variables possible are removed: shooter skill, wind, visibility, etc. So benchrest set up, no wind, best shooting conditions possible(almost used a no recoil for of shooting like with a 6PPC in benchrest competition).
Then, as Wildcatter has suggested, shoot the same broadheads/arrow configuration in various wind conditions and see how crosswinds affect each. From extensive past testing, the following reduce xwind effect: smaller vanes, very low profile expandibles(FOC, Shwackers), helical, SPEED. Of course, larger vanes, less spin(less offset or helical), larger broadheads - fixed, expandibles with a steering of their own from twisted leading edges - Spitfires(however I love Spitfires, just not this aspect), and lack of speed.
Next testing will be with Xbow Tricks(175g) with my 26g inserts. And both these and FOCs in steady wind.

One of the great lessons from benchrest shooting is learning to dope the wind, ie, learning to correct for wind drift.
Super accurate xbow setups, fast xbows , low drag arrows, low profile arrows, practice doping the wind, all combined increase max "ethical" range - maybe even beyond 35 yds :D . Well beyond!!
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to seeing more, especially with windy conditions. I am interested in how well the SK300s buck the wind.