Thermal imaging scope for crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sagedoc

Thermal imaging scope for crossbow

Post by sagedoc »

Anyone try one of these? I've seen a few posts around about night vision scopes. Just wondering, and if so, which ones? I would think they would be helpful finding a hog shot at dusk as well.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Thermal imaging scope for crossbow

Post by Hunt it »

I've hunted hogs for many years. 99.9% at night (all night) and I've yet to see a night so black you cannot see a hog approaching or moving about. It would be much cheaper to get an good quality scope and a red or green flashlight to aid you if needed. Most of time scope with lit crosshairs/reticle does the trick. Night vision is best used on long range rifles where you are trying to pick off hogs in open fields at 100+ yards. If you are wanting to use it for finding game then stalking it, you'll find one of the night vision monocular's the cheapest option. This is one area where - you get what you pay for to be the case. Good stuff starts about $2,500.00 and goes way up from there.
sagedoc

Post by sagedoc »

I was thinking a thermal scope would also help you find a hog that is down after the shot. Looking for a thermal of a hog laying down 40 yards away may be easier than following a blood trail with a flashlight.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Thermal detection devices are cheaper than good thermal vision. Check out law enforcement thermal detection.