New crossbow owner, having issues HELLPPP!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SGRAW

New crossbow owner, having issues HELLPPP!!!

Post by SGRAW »

I am new to crossbows and recently decided to buy the new Bulldog 400. I swallowed my pride and came on this forum looking for advice. I am having problems and wasn't sure if someone at home can give some advide since Excalibur is closed. I cannot get the bow to fire. I use the cocking aid around the top of the stock and pull back as shown. The bow is on safe and the string does cock back but the trigger is limp. Not sure what I am doing wrong but below is a picture of where I am at. The bow is cocked and I cant get it to release. Open to any help or constructive criticism. Take a look at the picture below. It does look as though I need to pull back farther and I can but if that's the case then something is not engadging.
SGRAW

Re: New crossbow owner, having issues HELLPPP!!!

Post by SGRAW »

Wont let me add the picture, the quota has been reached
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Cock it with safety off then put it in safety after it's cocked.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Is the string in the ADF latches? Can you pull the string back about an inch more? I'm guessing on the length there, i don't have an ADF handy. This iswhat your issue sounds like to me. The trigger won't load up until the string is under the latches. Try to pull the latches back with an allen wrench, the ones closest to the butt of the stock. If they load up, pulle the trigger to release them, then pull the string all the way home to cock it. The trigger might be partially loaded right now.
Good Luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Fred T wrote:Cock it with safety off then put it in safety after it's cocked.
Yes, always with the safety OFF!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Fred T wrote:Cock it with safety off then put it in safety after it's cocked.

X3
Yes, you need to have the safety off to cock it.
Then put the safety on before you remove your cocking rope ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Yes, what xcaliber said.

It sounds like you're not reaching the actual trigger latch. You have to first pull back until you hit the ADF latch and then another inch or two until you reach the actual trigger latch.

If you are reaching the trigger latch, and it won't fire after you remove the safety then it's a defective unit.
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

BrotherRon wrote:
Then put the safety on before you remove your cocking rope ;)
Yep its a good habit to get into right from the get go so it becomes second nature.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.

Post by newbie »

read the manual about saftey cocking procedures
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
SGRAW

Post by SGRAW »

Thanks everybody I knew it was operator error. I watched the CD and read the book but guess I overlooked the part about having the safety off to cock. (It was probably in bold too). Since I have shot firearms my entire life, it is only in my nature to have the safety engaged until I am ready to pull the trigger no matter what. Sorry about the false alarm, everybody gets to do something stupid every now and then I guess.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Keep those fingers out of the triangle of pain :!: :!: :!:
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Be sure and get a stringing aid and keep up with your brace height
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
SGRAW

Post by SGRAW »

Just got her sighted in. My first impression of the bow is wow. Its amazing how much pressure is on all those little components. I was also surprised how smooth the trigger is on this bow. Looks like I'll be in the market for new arrows as I lost a few down the hill, should have bought a bigger target. There's a lot to learn, glad I jumped on this forum so I can educate myself.
Arrowflinger wrote:Keep those fingers out of the triangle of pain :!: :!: :!:
Luckily the bulldog has a guard or I could easily see a newbie accidentally getting a finger or two in that triangle
Arrowflinger wrote:Be sure and get a stringing aid and keep up with your brace height
Not to sound stupid but what's brace height?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

It is the relaxed position of the string. If you have bumpers, you want to keep the string off of it about 1/8" to 1/4" this achieved by twisting the string CCW. You will need a stringing tool to do that. As mentioned by Newbie, watch ALL of the tutorial videos here to gain all of the understanding of the bow. Although the videos may not represent your exact model, ALL of the physical remain the same! I would ask that you spend one full day learning before shooting so you don't spend weeks waiting for your damaged bow to return. Ask the members here, they will give you learned advice! :wink:
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Very important issue here. Brace height is the distance your string sits (while the bow is uncocked)measured from the joint where the riser meets the rail.or if you have bumpers installed you can usually use that as a reference point. Get this resolved quickly as so the longevity of your limbs depend on it :D