18 inch diablo arrows weight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ashley42

18 inch diablo arrows weight

Post by ashley42 »

i want to use 100 grain broadheads for my diablo arrows. it says i need 150 grain.i already bought 100 grain not knowing when i ordered my crossbow. is there a way to add 50 grains to the tip of these arrows,if so how.thanks.
BigGuy
janesy

Re: 18 inch diablo arrows weight

Post by janesy »

You can remove the insert and replace it with a brass, heavier insert. Not sure a 50 exists, but I have some 80's that I have installed into Diablo before. There are many ways to remove the old insert, usually involving heat in some way
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome to the forum, you have a couple choices to choose from.
1) shoot the 100 grain broadheads that you purchased to check the flight characteristics. Excalibur calls for a 350 grain minimum arrow weight and the Diablos weigh exactly 250 grains. You will reach the 350 grain minimum required.
More FOC known as "front of center" can give you better overall flight characteristics. If you find flight acceptable with your broadhead and are on a budget you can just leave it alone.
2) purchase new 125 or 150 grain broadheads.
3) Carefully follow insert removal techniques and add a 25-50 grain 8/32" set screw and add/glue it into the rear of a new aluminum insert to increase FOC.
You may be required to remove any remaining residual old glue carefully from the shaft interior end in order to re glue a new one. Sandpaper on a round wood dowel will work.
If you are able to remove the old glue from the removed insert you may be able to re use it.
Some inserts may not have a 8/32" threaded rear hole so you may have to drill and tap the insert.
4) Purchase brass inserts that will fit the Diablos but most brass inserts start at 80 grains.
5) Lastly, if you search you may find and add some 15-20 grain lead washers between the broadhead and insert to add some FOC.
Good luck Ashley42
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ashley42

Post by ashley42 »

great info,thanks.fast response.
BigGuy
ashley42

Post by ashley42 »

janesy wrote:You can remove the insert and replace it with a brass, heavier insert. Not sure a 50 exists, but I have some 80's that I have installed into Diablo before. There are many ways to remove the old insert, usually involving heat in some way

do u know what size inserts ide need for diablo.
BigGuy
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL] Jerry at south shore archery can get you 50 grain alluminum inserts they are .300 they will work great you will not get optimum performance with that shaft without at least 170 grain up front ( insert and point) the 50 grain insert with a 100 or even better a 125 grain point will fly great.personally i would move to a 82 grain insert with a 100 grain head . I use a 82 grain insert with a 125 grain head on a firebolt for my vixen it shoots very good .
Last edited by longbow joe on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ashley42

Post by ashley42 »

where is that located.is there a website
BigGuy
janesy

Post by janesy »

I have these ones I got off Amazon. They are a bit loose by 1/1000" but they set nice and are square. Made by goldtip. The stock insert measures .300 exactly where these measure .2985 or something right at the top, but ,300 at the base.

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
bigrak

Post by bigrak »

Normous wrote:Welcome to the forum, you have a couple choices to choose from.
1) shoot the 100 grain broadheads that you purchased to check the flight characteristics. Excalibur calls for a 350 grain minimum arrow weight and the Diablos weigh exactly 250 grains. You will reach the 350 grain minimum required.
More FOC known as "front of center" can give you better overall flight characteristics. If you find flight acceptable with your broadhead and are on a budget you can just leave it alone.
2) purchase new 125 or 150 grain broadheads.
3) Carefully follow insert removal techniques and add a 25-50 grain 8/32" set screw and add/glue it into the rear of a new aluminum insert to increase FOC.
You may be required to remove any remaining residual old glue carefully from the shaft interior end in order to re glue a new one. Sandpaper on a round wood dowel will work.
If you are able to remove the old glue from the removed insert you may be able to re use it.
Some inserts may not have a 8/32" threaded rear hole so you may have to drill and tap the insert.
4) Purchase brass inserts that will fit the Diablos but most brass inserts start at 80 grains.
5) Lastly, if you search you may find and add some 15-20 grain lead washers between the broadhead and insert to add some FOC.
Good luck Ashley42
Very helpful read and info.!!!
Matrix 405 Mega, Hawke XB30 SR Pro
trigger tech, Dr Stirrup ' Tac Pac
BEE 20" 429gr. NAP spitfires 100gr. Ignitors
BD400 XB30 SR PRO DR. Stirrup.
New 420TD Assassin
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

You could just use Excalibur boltcutter broadheads, they are 150 grain.
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
Normous

Post by Normous »

janesy wrote:I have these ones I got off Amazon. They are a bit loose by 1/1000" but they set nice and are square. Made by goldtip. The stock insert measures .300 exactly where these measure .2985 or something right at the top, but ,300 at the base.

I might add that one can easily cut 1/4" +/- off of these brass inserts to lower the weight. Using a grain scale and a file or grinder one can uniform or match the weight of each brass insert.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ashley42

Post by ashley42 »

does the diablo arrows have thread the whole way through.
BigGuy
janesy

Post by janesy »

no, they are hollow tubes . There are front inserts, and rear Nocks glued or pressed into the tube to make up the arrow. Changing those components are a common way of customizing the characteristics of the arrows.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme

Post by newbie »

Normous wrote:
janesy wrote:I have these ones I got off Amazon. They are a bit loose by 1/1000" but they set nice and are square. Made by goldtip. The stock insert measures .300 exactly where these measure .2985 or something right at the top, but ,300 at the base.

I might add that one can easily cut 1/4" +/- off of these brass inserts to lower the weight. Using a grain scale and a file or grinder one can uniform or match the weight of each brass insert.
great tip... i used a file and have now switched to using a self centering hss countersink bit chucked in my cordless drill. much easier and faster.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!