Suggestions for custom wooden matrix stock?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Karl

Suggestions for custom wooden matrix stock?

Post by Karl »

Hi guys I am getting Mike Riesterer to do a custom stock for my first crossbow, a matrix 380 blackout. Though its early to jump into customisations I prefer more traditional looks to thumbholes/skeletonisation and when Mike said he could make more of a ''rifle type'' stock I became interested.

I just wanted to get feedback on pros or cons for this type of stock on a crossbow? Are there are any specifics I should request regards shape/function/styling to make it work well? I don't mind if the weight increases I am not a ultralight type of guy.

I am also in a tropical area. While I understand wood is less stable than synthetic in heat and rain, I am assuming its no different than rifle stocks? ( which work fine here for decades with appropriate care)
paulaboutform

Re: Suggestions for custom wooden matrix stock?

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Karl, it all comes down to personal preference. Aging Mike makes beautiful stocks and he really puts a lot of love and pride into his work. This really is a labor of love because if you start looking at the man hours involved the price doesn't make sense. I have a laminate stock and a Y25 stock. They are excellent for fit and balance and quiet a bow down tremendously! The wood stocks are also gorgeous and I think I would almost lean in that direction. Look up some pics of Excalibur's Y25 stock and see if Mike can customize something to fit and feel like it. A flatter bottom on the forestock and amazingly balanced in the hands. The one thing I would definitely do, and it may be overkill, have Mike leave a LOT of extra wood where your cocking rope groove will be. My custom laminate stock has almost an inch of meat there and I'm glad for it.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks Paul, sounds like its quite doable and a regular idea then. I'll check out those examples. Is it considered a technical enterprise to remove and replace an Excalibur stock with one of these? Do folks normally send their bow in to have it done by the stockmaker for example or can it be done at home? Obviously I won't be able to send the bow, so hoping I can receive and fit the stock ready to go.
Normous

Post by Normous »

If your order one of Mikes Custom stocks you will find it very simple to swap stocks. Just remove your 2 factory stock to mainframe screws to remove your factory stock and reverse the process to install Mikes custom stock..

Here is my Matrix 380 in a Excalibur Y25 stock. I had to drill and tap one hole in my mainframe to achieve this.
Time needed to perform this was under 5 minutes:

My Matrix 405 in a Custom Henegar Stock:

EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thankyou normous that is good news, and great pics as well.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I am thinking now of going all the way back to a basic rifle look, as in on this vintage Barnett wildcat.
https://au.pinterest.com/pin/305752262174998209/
Obviously with the matrix riser taken into account.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Really Traditional rifle style stock.....Check out an older Excalibur Wolverine . They have a rifle style stock, and really fit and feel pretty dern good. I am sure Mike can duplicate that look if it is what you prefer.
kamont

Post by kamont »

Heres what the Wolverine stock looks like
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Karl and I are going ahead with the project. Thanks for everyone's input. :D
Karl

Post by Karl »

hey thanks Mike, I did not realise you posted here, though of course it makes sense :D
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

If Mike is making you a stock, your all set. The man does nice work! I had him make me a laminate that is bad-ax!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Boo

Post by Boo »

The one in my avatar is from Mike. It's too nice to hunt with! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Karl

Post by Karl »

Regrettably I pulled out for now, the AUD/USD exchange rate a bit brutal at the moment :( I need to build up arrows and targets and so forth . Not a reflection on Mikes work btw which is obviously incredibly well priced. Apologies to Mike and the forum for the hassle.