OT: A Star Re-Born

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

OT: A Star Re-Born

Post by IronNoggin »

Some of you may recall my purchase of a rather infamous fellow hunter's rifle some time ago...

Took a little to convince my Good Buddy to part with it, but eventually I won out. This is a 1960 German Weatherby Mark V in 270 Weatherby Magnum. Interestingly, it is dated precisely by both serial number and the words "Patent Pending" stamped under the Mark V logo:

For a spell I toyed with the thought of simply leaving it in the condition I got it in...
But as time passed, I began to wonder what she might be capable of with a modern scope and a little tweaking.
Of course if you're going to go that far...

Thus after some more serious thought, and many conversations with several gunsmiths, I decided to take the plunge as it were.

A couple pictures yesterday just before packing her up for her journey to the Smith:

And now she has wandered off - into a Great Gunsmith's capable hands for a complete restoration job which will include:
- Complete re-bluing
- Replace scope with a Leupold VX III 4.5 - 14 x 50mm and proper mounts / rings
- Complete refinish of the stock
- Pillar bed the action
- Free float the barrel full length & glass bed the stock channel underneath
- Tweak the original recoil pad if at all possible to match (I really like the logo: Tomorrow's Rifle Today)

Given what this one shot like, I was a little hesitant to do this.:

But then I simply decided that my Main Go To should look as Great as She Shoots!
Here's hoping she doesn't lose anything in that capacity with her new facelift!!

Be a couple weeks or so and I'll be able to share the new look.
And right shortly after that, just how she shoots... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Re: OT: A Star Re-Born

Post by IronNoggin »

Just a little hint of the "History" this one carries:

Some might Big Boots to fill it would seem! Certainly up to the Challenge, and quite like the notion of dragging this particular Buddy along with me when I head out there! :D

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Which smith are you taking it to ?
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Dang buddy, you almost wrecked my phone. Luckily my case is waterproof or all my drooling over that sheep would've surely fried the motherboard! :lol:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Matt, It gives me goose bumps to see your German made 270 Weatherby , she is very nice and shoots very good!

I'm sure that your gunsmith has a bore scope to examine the current condition of the barrel lands and groves. I would be interested in a barrel condition report and compare that to your buddy's cleaning history. Was he a lazy barrel cleaner of a meticulous one. :lol:

I might add that I'm helping dad replace his old mid 60's Redfield 3-9 scope that has held it position on his 1966 - 270 German made Weatherby. It cradled in a beautiful sharp looking blond stock with the distinct classic Weatherby styling.

He chose a Zeiss 3.5 - 10 to handle the viewing chores.
Dad will be 80 in December. The 270 Weatherby was a gift from his father who brought it from Germany to Canada during a visit in 1966.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Doe Master wrote:Which smith are you taking it to ?
Gary Flach in Langley, BC

Seen a bit of his work, and was right impressed. Chatted with him numerous times now, and he is rather keen on this project. Methinks he will do a marvelous job!

Cheers,
Nog

PS: A rather Fine Sheep eh Paul! Waaay Book! :wink:
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Norm: This fellow was and is meticulous in every thing he does. With around 300 rounds through the tube, the barrel looks to be brand new! :D

Awesome gift your Pa got from his father! Just something about those classic older rifles that really do something for me. Combined with the 270 Wby caliber, it's a Win Win Scenario!

Interestingly, the scope I am replacing is an 60's era 2 x 7 Redfield. Guess they were the preference back then...

Cheers,
Nog
Normous

Post by Normous »

It pleases me to hear that your friend was meticulous and that the chamber, throat, lands and groves pass the bore inspection with flying colors.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

IronNoggin wrote:

Seen a bit of his work, and was right impressed. Chatted with him numerous times now, and he is rather keen on this project. Methinks he will do a marvelous job!

Cheers,
Nog

Hmmm, Matt, if you were to pick up your rifle in person you'd drive right past my house in Coquitlam on the way to Langley....which we would pass on the way to the range in Abbotsford and some lunch! :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

That's a jewel you acquired, and to think that it is such a good shooter.

I have to admit, though, that I'm scared for you. If the grouping you show in your photo is typical of that rifle's accuracy, a THREE shot group, and at 250 yards (or even a mere :D 100 yards), I'd NEVER pull that action out of the stock. Ever. Not even to refinish the stock.

I'd be doing whatever I could to keep that rifle EXACTLY the way it is. Changes won't improve it ANY.

But that's me, and it's YOUR gun. I hope it turns out to your complete satisfaction, my friend.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

paulaboutform wrote:
IronNoggin wrote:

Cheers,
Nog

Hmmm, Matt, if you were to pick up your rifle in person you'd drive right past my house in Coquitlam on the way to Langley....which we would pass on the way to the range in Abbotsford and some lunch! :mrgreen:

Paul
Paul if he stops for lunch i would kidnap him, and bring him to BooFest!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Hi5 wrote:... I have to admit, though, that I'm scared for you. If the grouping you show in your photo is typical of that rifle's accuracy, a THREE shot group, and at 250 yards (or even a mere :D 100 yards), I'd NEVER pull that action out of the stock. Ever. ...
Yeah, that's a 3 round group. Best I ever got from it, but it will do nearly the same all day long. Thus my dilemma! Certainly was a lot of what you say wandering through my thoughts. In the end, I decided to take the risk and so am hoping it shoots close to that when she comes back home... Fingers & toes crossed... :shock:
mr meat wrote: Paul if he stops for lunch i would kidnap him, and bring him to BooFest!!
That's likely the Last thing most of those who will be shooting at the 100 yard event would ever like to see... :twisted:
Kidding aside, I'd love to wander over that way and just perhaps one of these years I just might...

Paul, doubtful I'll make a mainland run at this point. Far too much else on the go. But if things change, you'll be the first to know...

Cheers,
Nog

PS: On other fronts, Alberta F & W called this morning. Crossbow Permit available for pick up (again)! Starting the day with a smile :D
Normous

Post by Normous »

Matt, don't delay your visit, Paul is one of the nicest guys that you will ever meet.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Normous wrote:Matt, don't delay your visit, Paul is one of the nicest guys that you will ever meet.
I'm well aware of that Norm. We've spent hours chatting & BS'ing on the phone and more.
But... with a new house undergoing reno's, a visit to Saskatchewan impending, our next fishery opening looming followed immediately after by a fly-in far north hunt, getting any time is damn near impossible at this point... :shock:

It will happen eventually I am Certain! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

Absolutely beautiful gun. Congrats on the purchase and restoration