Aging eyes and using scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Aging eyes and using scope

Post by sproulman »

As you get older your eyes cannot focus well as they did when we were young.At 62 boy I am seeing it..
With my scope I can go out after using the computer and its blurry for hrs you would think,hey its dang scope on bow..
then next day scope is clear..
then you try your glasses and its like you just cannot get it perfect in scope go in house put in your contacts come out and scope is clear ...

I found out if you buy .50 reading glasses you can see your open sights on your pistols and your muzzleloaders and still see target or your deer....

Testing my .50 reading glasses on my scope in morning to see if it improves the crosshairs just playing around...
agingcrossbower

Re: Aging eyes and using scope

Post by agingcrossbower »

Wait till you get to Bi-focal glass. Now that is a treat. Oh, if you ever plan on going on a roof with Bi's then make sure you take them off or prepare for a fall. :shock:
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

In dead, I have bifocals, but refuse to were them. I can pass the drivers test without glasses so I can get by in daily life with a little fuzz at any distance, but reading I can't see crap, and if I have to read half of the smaller print they're using more and more,,,, (gotta get all the exclusions in all languages :roll:) I need readers over readers and 100 watt lights.

I use no glasses hunting, I can still pinpoint any movement and my scope is set to my eyes not glasses. I tried hunting with glasses and to many reflections and like Sproulman said they always seem to change the scope focus. without glasses I don't see that as much.

Yes there are a few tricks we learn to keep doing what we love besides smarter not harder!! I agree with the cheap readers, and with bifocals being a pain in the ars,,, about the only thing I cannot compensate for, is if could still use my vertical bow, peep sights would be out. I went to a 5/16 peep the last year I could draw it, and still had trouble with good bright fiber optic pins and my target. A bright white bag target with contrasting black bulls was not that bad, but in the woods under shaded light and earthy background and targets, it was crapola!

But for year I have been an avid handgunner, and hated scopes on revolvers and pistols,,,, even made fun of em and thought them as handicaps fer the folks using them. Well my favorite hunting .45 now comes scope ready, a .45 Colt Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter. I too found the +1.00 magnification readers to work pretty good for seeing them open sights and a distant target on my handguns using them.

But I am sure it only get's better,,,, I say that sarcastically, and say it now with experience,,,, :wink:
Last edited by wildcatter on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

agingcrossbower wrote:Wait till you get to Bi-focal glass. Now that is a treat. Oh, if you ever plan on going on a roof with Bi's then make sure you take them off or prepare for a fall. :shock:
You are right..BI-FOCAL companies only make them down to 1.00 dopler..I wanted the stick on ones for my shooting glasses ..They do not make them..

I cannot use my 2.50 dopler in my glasses for my pistol or flintlock...

So I invented way to see your rifle sights, pistol and now working on my crossbow..I had .50 dopler amber reading glasses made ..you can use them just like no glasses at all but you can see your open sights well..targetis just hair fuzzy no problem and deer not noticable...

IT WORKS GREAT but i have to use my contacts ..do not know if you can get prescription glasses with .50 looking into that as wal mart has spare pairs of glasses for 99 dollars and only use for hunting or target shooting..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

wildcatter wrote:In dead, I have bifocals, but refuse to were them. I can pass the drivers test without glasses so I can get by in daily life with a little fuzz at any distance, but reading I can't see crap, and if I have to read half of the smaller print they using more and more,,,, (gotta get all the exclusions in all languages :roll:) I need readers over readers and 100 watt lights.

I use no glasses hunting, I can still pinpoint any movement and my scope is set to my eyes not glasses. I tried hunting with glasses and to many reflections and like Sproulman said they always seem to change the scope focus. without glasses I don't see that as much.

Yes there are a few tricks we learn to keep doing what we love besides smarter not harder!! I agree with the cheap readers, and with bifocal pain in the ars,,, about the only thing I cannot compensate for is if could still use my vertical bow sights would be out. I went to a 5/16 peep the last year I could draw it, and still had trouble with good bright fiber optics pins and my target. A bright whit bag target with contrasting black bulls was not that bad, but in the woods under shaded light and earthy background and targets it was crapola!

But for year I have been an avid handgunner, and hated scopes on revolvers and pistols,,,, even made fun of em and thought them as handicaps fer the folks using them. Well my favorite hunting .45 now comes scope ready, a .45 Colt Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter. I to found the +1.00 magnification readers to work pretty good for seeing them sights and a distant target on my open sighted guns.

But I am sure it inly get's better,,,, I say that sarcastically, and say it now with experience,,,, :wink:

I tested my idea of .50 reading glasses and it worked great..I can now see my sights on my Flintlocks and my Pistols .. I am into Flintlocks like you folks are into Crossbows been at it for 52 years also.....I ordered them in Amber for foggy days and near dark ...Trying them today on my tact zone scope to see if it makes a difference good or bad ,i can see my lines fine without them just seeing if it makes difference etc..
agingcrossbower

If I could get away without them I surely would. I am equally blind near and far. Have stigmatism bad also. It is either wear them or not hunt at all and have a seeing eye dog with me. But I do like dogs. :D
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

agingcrossbower wrote:If I could get away without them I surely would. I am equally blind near and far. Have stigmatism bad also. It is either wear them or not hunt at all and have a seeing eye dog with me. But I do like dogs. :D
I took my Flintlock to eye doctor he made appt for me at quiting time so i did not scare folks with gun.

he tried my idea of .50 reading glasses and it worked..i could see my muzz sights for first time in long time and yet see letters on screen clear enough i could shoot..
i may get pair of amber prescription glasses made just for target/hunting with .50 dopler...You want the .50 to be upper bifocal not lower one as you would just lower your eye to see the sights...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

GeTting a LOT of pm from members here on this .50 reading ..Does it work..YES..Here is what to do ask your eye doctor if he has doplers down to .50...

Take your pistol to him ask if its alright maybe he can schedule you as last appt ..this way he can try the powers under .75 i found .50 was best for me..yes i am now shooting my pistol at 25 yards and seeing sights again and i now can see my flintlock sights also.....I hunt deer with flintlock wearing them or as Buck comes out i reach down on my shirt i have eye glass holders landyard thing ,put them on and i can see my open sights to kill a buck......
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The remedy to improve your scope sight.

Use quality optics... :)

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

The +.50 worked years ago,, soon you will surender to perscroption eye wear, and eventually you'll need the +1.0 to do the same thing! It gets worse, it don't just stop once it starts going south.

Time does that, I remember when an aperature sight worked 20 years ago, soon that don't, what happened to me was ot got where there wasn't enough light anymore to keep using it, but if you learn to shoot as I did 50 years ago with both eyes open, the aperture works for a while,,,, then +.50 will,,,,, fer a while,,,, then +.75,,,,,, for a while,,,,etc etc,,,,, trust me been their done that,, no one power works for ever, or for everyone,,,,,, as Bob Dillon wrote,,,,,, The Times They Are A Changin!!!! :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

wildcatter wrote:The +.50 worked years ago,, soon you will surender to perscroption eye wear, and eventually you'll need the +1.0 to do the same thing! It gets worse, it don't just stop once it starts going south.

Time does that, I remember when an aperature sight worked 20 years ago, soon that don't, what happened to me was ot got where there wasn't enough light anymore to keep using it, but if you learn to shoot as I did 50 years ago with both eyes open, the aperture works for a while,,,, then +.50 will,,,,, fer a while,,,, then +.75,,,,,, for a while,,,,etc etc,,,,, trust me been their done that,, no one power works for ever, or for everyone,,,,,, as Bob Dillon wrote,,,,,, The Times They Are A Changin!!!! :wink:
You are right...We cut the top of the peep sights open on our flintlocks so light can come in then .50 glasses no more or it will not work..
frisky

Post by frisky »

When I started wearing glasses I had bifocals. I could not get used to the line. I started using Varalux lenses. They are a no line, multi focal lens. I can use them with open sights, scopes or red dots. I find a small problem using them with my binoculars. Other than that all is good. Best advise I can give is don't get old. :(
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
janesy

Post by janesy »

Be thankful you made it to 50 before the old eye checked out gents. Some of us haven't had that luck :D
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
G. Scott H.

Post by G. Scott H. »

janesy wrote:Be thankful you made it to 50 before the old eye checked out gents. Some of us haven't had that luck :D
Yep. I started noticing street signs and the aisle signs in grocery stores being a bit fuzzy at about 28. By 31 I got my first pair of glasses. I'm now 46 and on my 4th prescription (due for another soon). My close up vision (like a couple feet away) is fine, so when I don't wear my glasses I can see my sights but not the target, and when I wear them I can see the target but not my rear sight. :roll: :mrgreen: I do find that peep sights work well, though, as the rear aperture doesn't need to be sharply in focus. I'm still messing around with an iron sight setup on my Vixen. I have the front sight for an Apex on it, and I tried a flat top AR rifle sight on the rear, on top of the Guardian rail I bought for it, but it was too high (as I suspected it would be). Now I have a UTG Sub-Compact peep sight on the way that looks like it should work. The scope that came with the bow is still nestled in its box. I may have to resort to it in a few years, but I'd like to use irons as long as I can.
-Scott
agingcrossbower

Oh mercy, I was born with glasses. Needless to say it was a hard birth. :lol: