Shooting sticks or tripods

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kman35ca

Shooting sticks or tripods

Post by kman35ca »

. One thing I have learned and Peter even suggested is that shooting off a hard surface doesn't bode well for accuracy. Since most shooting sticks and Bipods don't have much padding, usually just a touch of rubber on top of hard plastic. Do any of you have the same problem? Or is it a matter of how you use it,(bracing your hund under the rest). Just a curious noob.
Matrix 380
Pretty stock, for now.....
First crossbow
Boo

Re: Shooting sticks or tripods

Post by Boo »

kman35ca wrote:. One thing I have learned and Peter even suggested is that shooting off a hard surface doesn't bode well for accuracy. Since most shooting sticks and Bipods don't have much padding, usually just a touch of rubber on top of hard plastic. Do any of you have the same problem? Or is it a matter of how you use it,(bracing your hund under the rest). Just a curious noob.
Accuracy of a firearm or crossbow is diminished when a hard rest is used. Use your hand as padding or better yet, practice off-hand shooting. Much practice can be gained by using pellet rifles and rimfires.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Boo wrote: Accuracy of a firearm or crossbow is diminished when a hard rest is used. Use your hand as padding or better yet, practice off-hand shooting. Much practice can be gained by using pellet rifles and rimfires.
So what kind of results do those that use the cross pods get?
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

[URL=http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/hanke ... 2.jpg.html]Image made mine from an old brass camera tripod. A Little camo tape here, a little foam there to rest on and voila. It will extend to fifty inches.
Hank
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Check out Harris bipods. Mount quickly to front sling swivel stud. I use one for bench work/sighting in all the time.
carperdoug

Post by carperdoug »

Hunt it wrote:Check out Harris bipods. Mount quickly to front sling swivel stud. I use one for bench work/sighting in all the time.
I am considering a Harris bipod model HBH. I'm shooting a Matrix 355. Did you have to modify anything to mount it?
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Nothing at all, all you need is a quarter in your pocket to tighten screw that latches on to your sling swivel stud. Comes on and off in 10 seconds and provides great stable platform for sighting in or hunting. Laying down in the golden rod/long grass by field edge with the bi pod mounted is great whitetail strategy. You keep warmer laying on ground and I've had deer walk up within 10-15 ft. If they hear you move they never seem to look down for trouble, they look straight over you. Works great for turkeys as well.
kman35ca

Post by kman35ca »

The Harris bipod idea sounds great. Sounds like you have no accuracy problems. I have a cheap mgm rifle rest I use to sight in my rifles. Works alright for that, I actually prefer the bag and sock though. But I tried using that to site in my 380 and my shots where all over the place. Switched up to a home made camera pod like the one above.(nice job on that btw) it's not attached to the CB, I use it for hunting coyotes. It's padded with foam and I over laid leather. The crossbow was bang on again. Then I remember Peter told me to use something with some give or I'll lose accuracy. Does that bipod have a rubber surface when it comes in contact with the stock? And ya Boo, I'm practicing off hand. I can hit the vitals at 40 to 50 offhand. Well 85% of the time anyway. Lol. But that bi pod has got me thinking. I got some land I'm hunting Mulies on this year. I already have them pretty well patterned. Probably 5 or more 160 plus bucks in their. The Deer are like ants in that spot. Anywaus, it's flat as flat can be. But they cross a small valley between their beds and food. So looks like I'll be trying my Asat 3D suit and hiding at the top of the funnels they use to get up that hill.
Matrix 380
Pretty stock, for now.....
First crossbow
Trentco1

Post by Trentco1 »

hankenhunter wrote:[URL=http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/hanke ... 2.jpg.html]Image made mine from an old brass camera tripod. A Little camo tape here, a little foam there to rest on and voila. It will extend to fifty inches.
Hank
That's perfect
I'm going to work on making one of those
That way my boy can have a little more opportunity to shoot my crossbow!
Micro 355
Hawke xb30 pro scope T&T Triger boo force 10 string Zombie slayers 16.5 arrows c/w right helical blazer vanes aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Micro 315
Tact zone scope force 10 string 16" inch executioner arrows aluminum nocks or lumenoks