Dead Ringer Rampage 2 Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Dead Ringer Rampage 2 Broadheads

Post by 8ptbuk »

Anybody shooting these ? Had them recommend to me by a very experienced Excalibur shooter we all know . Thanks
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
fergie

Re: Dead Ringer Rampage 2 Broadheads

Post by fergie »

i ended up picking up some dead ringer freak extreme 2.5" to try out this year. I've read some good reviews on the dead ringer lineup so I figured I would give them a try. I'm down to two rage heads left after last season and needed some new blades for the used ones and have been using them for the last few years without a problem but wanted to give something new a try. hope I don't regret the choice but we'll see in a few months.
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
galamb

Post by galamb »

We just started carrying the Dead Ringer line at work (I sell guns/ammo/hunting/archery stuff) "this year".

I ordered up the whole line back in December so have no "on game" experience with these yet. The only thing that we are not carrying is their Turkey head (Kill Switch) which I was going to order and rep said not to bother - failed experiment on their part and he didn't feel right selling them.

Anyhow, he gave me a few samples (Stiletto for lighter poundage bows, Crossbow Trauma and Super Freak - all two blade versions). Those I have shot the crap out of in my back yard range and have to say they are initially impressive.

Very tough (haven't broken one yet - have a box of various mechanical's that haven't survived), they penetrate as well or better than most of the other "national/popular brands". They are priced right in there with the average mechanical.

I like them enough that I am going to swap my current head (Battle Axe's) for the Stiletto's this deer season. While the Stiletto is the smaller head of the bunch, I shoot a Vixen and they just plain open up better with less speed/KE at impact. In fact, I would shoot them with my traditional recurve - one of the few options for mechanicals with arrows that "you" can outrun to the target :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Thanks Graham, I appreciate your feedback ! I usually buy a new to me mechanical every year and test it out of my 380 Excal . Think I'll try the Rampage 2" cut this year and see how they perform. My two big concerns are opening upon release and hitting same as field points . How sharp are the DR heads out of the pack compared to other brands of mechanical heads you've used ? Thanks
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I killed 3 deer with these heads, I like the 3 1/8" 2 blade, the 3 blade 2" cut heads are great too!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
fergie

Post by fergie »

I know you're not quite looking at these but the 2.5" freak extremes I picked up shot the same as field points out of my 380 and didn't open on release that I noticed. I'm assuming if I had anything open on release I would notice a big slice in the broadhead cover on my dr.stirrup setup. have never noticed any marks from the rage broadheads either for that matter. i'll let you know how they work on dead deer running in a couple of months...... LOL :o
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
galamb

Post by galamb »

I found the three (models) that I have been playing around with to be plenty sharp right out of the package - certainly as sharp as anything else from Rage or G5.

As far as "deployment" upon firing goes, I can't really help you there since I shoot a Vix II - not exactly a "sledgehammer" upon release like some of the bows pulling 260 pounds.

Having said that, I do kinda/sorta check the "pounds to deploy" on all the heads I check out. My method is to stretch a piece of fake leather (car seat material) over an empty vegetable can - I place that on a (persistence) scale and then chuck the broadhead in my drill press - I lower the press until the head deploys and read the poundage - most broadheads fall into the 7-11 pounds range.

Without digging through my notes I do remember that all of the Dead Ringer stuff came in at about 8'ish pounds. In comparison a G5 T3 was the (heaviest) I ever measured at 11 pounds. And on the light end at barely 7 pounds you will find the various Rage heads (2 blade models), however, the Rage also penetrate the "least" of the ones mentioned here (shot into foam block) - that may or may not have anything to do with the "speed of deployment" upon contact which would cause more drag a split second earlier then the heavier to deploy heads (????).

The Dead Ringer stuff does seem to be fairly well fixed when closed. Their deployment method relies mostly on the (hook) on the folded blades to grab upon contact and are a kind hybrid in terms of deployment, falling somewhere in between a front and rear deploying heads which leads me to believe they will stay "closed" until they actually start penetrating.

Like I said, no "on game" testing yet, but I'm fairly impressed so far.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

I use fixed heads but wanted to try some wide cut mechanicals. I liked the Rampage 2 design so I purchased a pack to practice with.Into a foam target I found the blades bent easily and back of blades made indents into ferrules.IN comparison I have found the similarly designed WASP Jak Knife to be somewhat more sturdy.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

galamb wrote:I found the three (models) that I have been playing around with to be plenty sharp right out of the package - certainly as sharp as anything else from Rage or G5.

As far as "deployment" upon firing goes, I can't really help you there since I shoot a Vix II - not exactly a "sledgehammer" upon release like some of the bows pulling 260 pounds.

Having said that, I do kinda/sorta check the "pounds to deploy" on all the heads I check out. My method is to stretch a piece of fake leather (car seat material) over an empty vegetable can - I place that on a (persistence) scale and then chuck the broadhead in my drill press - I lower the press until the head deploys and read the poundage - most broadheads fall into the 7-11 pounds range.

Without digging through my notes I do remember that all of the Dead Ringer stuff came in at about 8'ish pounds. In comparison a G5 T3 was the (heaviest) I ever measured at 11 pounds. And on the light end at barely 7 pounds you will find the various Rage heads (2 blade models), however, the Rage also penetrate the "least" of the ones mentioned here (shot into foam block) - that may or may not have anything to do with the "speed of deployment" upon contact which would cause more drag a split second earlier then the heavier to deploy heads (????).

The Dead Ringer stuff does seem to be fairly well fixed when closed. Their deployment method relies mostly on the (hook) on the folded blades to grab upon contact and are a kind hybrid in terms of deployment, falling somewhere in between a front and rear deploying heads which leads me to believe they will stay "closed" until they actually start penetrating.

Like I said, no "on game" testing yet, but I'm fairly impressed so far.
Thanks for the information ! Think order some and test them out .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

After shooting a doe w the two blade I was able to resharpened the blades.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline