Old NAP Spitfire weight inconsistancies

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Possum

Old NAP Spitfire weight inconsistancies

Post by Possum »

Just opened two packs of Spitfire 100 gr broadheads that I bought at BPS back in 08. Upon weighing them I found that out of the six, the lightest weighs 107gr and the heaviest was 112gr. Has anyone here actually weighed the newer production Spitfires and if so, what do the 100gr actually weigh?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
xcaliber

Re: Old NAP Spitfire weight inconsistancies

Post by xcaliber »

Last time I did was about a year or so ago, and I got 4 grains difference, it will not affect your accuracy inside 50 yards though.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have mine run from 99.4gr up to 104. 7gr that were to be the 100gr models
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Possum

Post by Possum »

xcaliber wrote:Last time I did was about a year or so ago, and I got 4 grains difference, it will not affect your accuracy inside 50 yards though.
I've heard from many that a small weight varience won't have noticeable differences out to forty yards and I limit my shots on deer and turkey to about 30 yards anyway but, I've spent a lot of my time and $$$ to get 2 dozen SSA Tapps to weigh exactly the same with field points and I want to get the same results with my broadheads. I have some 100gr Muzzys and all of them weigh exactly 100gr and spin out very true, and they are hitting consitantly inside a
1 1/2 circle out to forty yards out of my Matrix 350. It looks like I will be using the old tried and true fixed blade 100gr Muzzys this year.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Possum wrote:
xcaliber wrote:Last time I did was about a year or so ago, and I got 4 grains difference, it will not affect your accuracy inside 50 yards though.
I've heard from many that a small weight varience won't have noticeable differences out to forty yards and I limit my shots on deer and turkey to about 30 yards anyway but, I've spent a lot of my time and $$$ to get 2 dozen SSA Tapps to weigh exactly the same with field points and I want to get the same results with my broadheads. I have some 100gr Muzzys and all of them weigh exactly 100gr and spin out very true, and they are hitting consitantly inside a
1 1/2 circle out to forty yards out of my Matrix 350. It looks like I will be using the old tried and true fixed blade 100gr Muzzys this year.
By gosh you gotta go wid what works n yer happy wid it.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bubba

Post by bubba »

I shot N.A.P. Spit fires years ago, in my old longbow, and compound bow day's. And love em, yes there always seemed to be a 3-4 grain variance in their weight,but it never made a noticeable difference in impact out to 30 yards. And turn the page to today with my crossbow, lo and behold... After shooting and spending many a dollar testing broad heads, it's the new N.A.P. Spitfire XXX with the 2" cutting heads that tip my arrows! And they have been devastating on thinned skinned deer. Anyhow for me they are my go to broad head for deer, and the new ones are like the old still there seem to be a slight variance in weight. But they work. There is a lot of great broad heads out there and it really come's down to what work's best for you..Now on thick skinned game like hogs and bear's i prefer a fixed blade, but that's another story, my two nickels.. Hope it helps..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

All years 1996 with Spitfire 100 gr did I ever weight them..Today I did and all 3 were 106 grs I just bought them 1 month ago.....
now my practice points from1996 weight 103 grs..

my points from 1996 weight weight 103 grs.Same as practice points from then...

They made the new points tougher or thicker blades from 1996 on the 3 gr difference.The 1996 blades are loose and were made for compound bows now they make them for crossbows..
As long as speed is under 350 you can still use the old spitfires ..New spitfires the blades are in grooves tight not loose....

I can tell you this if you call NAP and say that points are all different weights I would bet they will send you 3 that are same weight they are that good of company to deal with...
Last edited by sproulman on Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Possum wrote:
I understand how you feel..I take spitfires i am using for Buck.I only use 2 arrows while hunting ..out of 6 I chose the 2 that group robin hood thing and use them for hunting.i sight in bow with those 2 only ..

i take the practice inserts out and put them in each hunting point ,2 best that hit same hole i use ..
you may think i am funny in way I NEVER shoot my hunting points with razor blades in them just do not think its necessary and to ruin blades ....

I used SPITFIRES on my cedar arrows but my shots were not over 25 yards ..I had a friend drill hole into end of my arrows and we glued in the Spitfires ,spun arrows like top until they spun good and then glued them in ..

They went right thru side of buck with 50 pd recurve .....I was deadly with them when others were missing Bucks..I kept this secret for longtime did not want folks wounding deer or installing the points wrong way etc so I kept it to myself...I used heaviest arrows I could get with them....
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

sproulman wrote:
Possum wrote:
I understand how you feel..I take spitfires i am using for Buck.I only use 2 arrows while hunting ..out of 6 I chose the 2 that group robin hood thing and use them for hunting.i sight in bow with those 2 only ..

i take the practice inserts out and put them in each hunting point ,2 best that hit same hole i use ..
you may think i am funny in way I NEVER shoot my hunting points with razor blades in them just do not think its necessary and to ruin blades ....

I used SPITFIRES on my cedar arrows but my shots were not over 25 yards ..I had a friend drill hole into end of my arrows and we glued in the Spitfires ,spun arrows like top until they spun good and then glued them in ..

They went right thru side of buck with 50 pd recurve .....I was deadly with them when others were missing Bucks..I kept this secret for longtime did not want folks wounding deer or installing the points wrong way etc so I kept it to myself...I used heaviest arrows I could get with them....
Sproul, when I shot the old cedar arrows, about thirty years ago, I just used hot melt and Zwickeys'. :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Sproul, when I shot the old cedar arrows, about thirty years ago, I just used hot melt and Zwickeys'. :mrgreen:

Paul[/quote]

Paul up until around 1997 i use ZEWICKYS green points and fred bear .For somereason I had to make those Spitfires work on wood arrow..But you had to go to heavy wood arrow so blades would open .Zewickys boy they held sharp edge I couldshave with them..