Getting Bad Accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Travis1985

Getting Bad Accuracy

Post by Travis1985 »

Hey guys I am new to crossbows. I purchased a used Micro 335 off a friend. I ordered some Spynal Tapps with 100gr Slick Tricks. Comes in right at 400gr. Today I was sighting in and my accuracy at 20yds was pretty erratic. I was on a bench shooting into a target block. I would be 2" right and then the next shot would be 3" left.
Here are some variables that may have a role but I am at a loss: It had just rained and maybe the rail was wet (Not sure if that would effect anything). String may be old? String may need to be tightened to exactly the line on the rail? Scope bad? What do you guys think may be the culprit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am a complete newb.

Re: Getting Bad Accuracy

Post by newbie »

start off doing a scope mount fastener check. If they are tight check all the rest including the two trigger screws.... stock removal is required.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Eck

Post by Eck »

Good advice from Newbie. DAMHIK
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
SEW

Post by SEW »

newbie wrote:start off doing a scope mount fastener check. If they are tight check all the rest including the two trigger screws.... stock removal is required.
My most common problem. Gently try to rock the scope back and forth. That'll help you know if you have that problem.
Travis1985

Post by Travis1985 »

What two screws do I check if the stock has to come off?
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

trigger mount screws =
The 2 screws that hold trigger box in place. once you remove the stock you will see them.
I always take them out one at a time and apply a small drop of blue loctite to them, re-tighten them, and leave it sit for a day ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
kman35ca

Post by kman35ca »

Ya one thing I have learnt, is stick to a good maintenance regime. Listen to these guys and it's probably something small like a couple lose screws. Once I got a more thorough understanding of how these bows work. It's pretty easy to tell where an accuracy problem is coming from. Mine is shooting crazy accurate now after going through a stretch when I lost some accuracy due to not making sure ALL screws are tight. And having banged up arrows that wobbled like a bobble head on my spinner. Plus not knowing how to tighten my trigger up. Getting a TT trigger on payday to really have her shooting nice. Which will be hard, as it can't get much better. But I love nice triggers.
Matrix 380
Pretty stock, for now.....
First crossbow
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

X2 what Newbie has said!! Are you shooting only one arrow and same vane down!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

If you are using a hard rest on your bench your groups may suffer some. Excalibur's do recoil and combined with a hard surface rest may contribute to poor accuracy.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
roly

Post by roly »

Once you check all the screws and the problem is still there, try numbering your arrows and see if there is a pattern. You may have to alternate your cock feather and even eliminate some of your arrows.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Last edited by sproulman on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

mr meat wrote:X2 what Newbie has said!! Are you shooting only one arrow and same vane down!
just what you said with quill arrows.if i use the same arrow over and over and same vane in rail i can hit quarter.turn arrow and it will shoot all over.grab another quill it will shoot all over UNLESS you get right vane in rail and mark it ..

but those spinal arrows should be matched with cock vane ..all my custom gt arrows with cock vane all shoot almost in same hole as other gt arrows but my quills, no way they will shoot all over the place unless you mark vanes..
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

As stated many times, all screws tight with a bit of loctite applied....

I'm guessing it's bad brace height. You will need a string adjustment device ( a piece of very high strength cord which is usually adjustable in length with a plastic device that will fit on each end of the limb holding it in place rather than regular string.

Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery makes a great one at a very good price... If your string is into the stops ( rubber bumpers) you need to secure the limbs back with stringing device and make sure to engage the safety, then take string off on one end...... I use the right side looking down the rail.... once off, turn it counter-clockwise to shorten and get it away from the bumpers, about 1/4" is optimal. Excal has videos available in the side bar here just to the left side of this post showing how to do it safely. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Going right back to what Newbie said. As I see it, there are two possibilities. First, physically retighten and blue loktight the scope mount screws then every other fastener you can see. Second, once everything is confirmed to be tight look at the scope. Shoot one arrow off the bench. If the one arrow doesn't maintain poi, your scope is hooped.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Be careful with the front stock mounting screw. It is 10-32 I believe and there is not a lot of Al rail thickness to hold it. You can over tighten it and strip it quite easily. If so, not to worry...just re-tap the hole to a coarser thread like 12-28 and Loctite in a new screw.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><