100 yard love with the Matrix 380....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: 100 yard love with the Matrix 380....

Post by Boo »

You should be proud of your shooting abilities and your equipment!
Funny how we all doubted the potential of shorter arrows, yet a bullet of less than an inch can consistently print groups that are just over their diameter at 100 yards.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

That aint showing off GK,,, that's tell'n it like it is,,, GREAT SHOOT'N

Them basackwards bows may shoot good, but I bet it requires more work, and they will find a bigger difference if they try to shoot different arrows than we will the curves!! They just shoot about anything good, them scarpeedos need finely tuned to compete,,, I can easily shoot under 3/4 groups with the 380 at 50 yards which my math tells me is as good as any bow made has ever been able to prove!! Then see what the wheel bows do w2ith the majority of fixed blade broadheads,, compared to how our curves shoot most fixed blades!!

These curves don't have ta take back seat to any bow, but there are a lot of things them wheel bows can't do as well,, and one thing is be as simple,, I call that practical!!! I just hope the new Darton will keep up,, but like you just proved, we know it won't take the place of the curves, my Mad Max will remain my number 1 hunting rig!
Last edited by wildcatter on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Well put Wildcatter. I do agree. I've just put my HHA Optimizer back on my M380 and topped it with my Vortex Viper XB-R 1 MOA for the sole purpose of extending my range while maintaining higher magnification to actually see what I'm shooting at. It'll be interesting. Hopefully I can pull it off here but if not there's always Boofest. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

GrassyKnoll I did not know that kind of accuracy at that distance was even possible. I shot a PSE Reaper for 5 or 6 years but I'd never chance a shot beyond 40 yards with that thing. Killed a shitload of deer at 20 and 30 yards with it until the limbs cracked last year. It supposedly has a lifetime warranty but PSE's customer service is pretty much non-existent. I wanted an Excalibur for years, so a month ago I finally came of the money and bought a Matrix 380 with a Tact-Zone scope and a dozen Diablo arrows. I have shot and shot from a solid bench rest, and I can't get better that a 4 inch group at 30 yards. I contacted customer service and followed their suggestions: I made sure all screws were tight, made sure the string was adjusted correctly, made sure the cocking rope hooks were against the rail every time I cocked it, I've changed the string several times, I even took it apart and put it back together to double check that everything was tight. It still will not shoot consistent. It hits high, low, left, right, or any combination. I bought new arrows. I've shot the same arrow over and over. This thing still hits all over the place. Right now they have suggested I send the Tact-Zone scope in for a replacement. I've been beyond frustrated and downright depressed that I unloaded a grand on a crossbow that I can't hit crap with. So far Excalibur's customer service has been great and I hope we get my problem resolved. It is refreshing to see that you have the same crossbow I have and yours performs that well.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

BigSteve,
Welcome to the Excalibur forum.... A great place to come to for information as well as to share your experiences too..

The Excalibur platform is probably the most accurate out there... and the most simple to maintain... A "stringer" is your best friend with these bows... All you need to do is keep your brace height set...

Positives on a recurve:
1. a single string
2. no wheels or cams to be kept in time
3. no cables to adjust..
4. no bow press needed.. AKA: the stringer and it fits in your pocket with your extra broken in string...

As far as long range shooting goes, there are a few things that come into play.

1. Having the proper arrows, though the stock supplied arrows are perfectly fine, they might not be ideal for longer range targets...
2. an understanding of breath control while going through the shot process
3. a solid or stable bench rest to shoot from
4. a decent trigger and control over the trigger.

erratic arrow placement down range can be partly due to user error in a sense such as poor head to scope alignment and proper eye relief, peeking at the shot, slamming the trigger. Or the arrows are not spine indexed and since they are not and you are probably loading them onto the rail randomly with disregard to which cock vane is down when you have a flyer.. So I would if I were you is take and shoot one arrow over and over to see which vane down produces the best shot for you then mark that vane and repeat that process over and over with all of your arrows until you can group them because the Excalibur can put arrows into the same hole it just shot in the bale, they are that accurate without a lot of special love...

Then if you decide to go the custom arrow route, then you have your choice of spine indexed shafts that can be spline matched, grain matched, insert weights matched to the grain and the same for the nocks and vanes too..

But for now practice your fundamentals of firing, and keep an eye on your brace height and maintain that brace height at all times..

Let us know how you make out..

Good luck,
Ed
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome Big Steve. :D Sorry for your frustration, I've been there. My first assumption is to retighten all fasteners starting with the scope to trigger housing screws. I'd also like to ask if you're shooting the stock arrows with the stock points or if you've gone to 100gr points with the stock arrows?

Paul
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

GrassyKnoll, I don't know much about crossbows. I have been indexing my arrows the same when I load them. By that I mean I was putting the vane down that would leave the word "Diablo" on the right rail. I thought that may make a difference. I have not tried shooting each arrow indexed differently to see which way it shoots best. It never crossed my mind but I will try it. As far as spine indexed arrows, I don't know what that is but it sure sounds cool!

Paulaboutform, I have been shooting stock Diablo arrows right out of the box with 100 gr field points. I use 100 gr field points because my broadheads are 100 gr.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Dang , these bows are so accurate and consistent.
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
fergie

Post by fergie »

BigSteve
how is the trigger on your bow. when I first picked up my m380 blackout I noticed the trigger was heavy, super heavy and couldn't group arrows at all with it. I was going to send it out to boo to get a trigger job done on it or if he didn't have time I was going to send it in for warranty then I read about triggertech and decided to try them out. put a single stage trigger on my m380 and what a difference. I usually target practice at 60yards and have no problem keeping a 2" group now. I do have zombie slayers now but even with the diablo arrows I could get a consistent group that wasn't possible with the stock trigger the way it was. I've owned several excals over the years from a carved tip vixen to a vixen II, excocet 200, exo mag, exo max to my m380 and it had a terrible trigger and never had a problem with any of my other excel crossbow trigger until this one.
don't know if this is your problem but figured I'd give you my experience as a potential problem to look for.
steve
p.s; I should really send in the original trigger for warranty so I have a good spare............. LOL
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
Boo

Post by Boo »

BigSteve wrote:GrassyKnoll, I don't know much about crossbows. I have been indexing my arrows the same when I load them. By that I mean I was putting the vane down that would leave the word "Diablo" on the right rail. I thought that may make a difference. I have not tried shooting each arrow indexed differently to see which way it shoots best. It never crossed my mind but I will try it. As far as spine indexed arrows, I don't know what that is but it sure sounds cool!

Paulaboutform, I have been shooting stock Diablo arrows right out of the box with 100 gr field points. I use 100 gr field points because my broadheads are 100 gr.
You'll get large grouping with stock arrows and 100 gr field tips. You need to increase your Forward Weight of Center (FOC) by using 150 gr field tips or with to a better arrow set up (better shafts and heavier front inserts).
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Buck

Post by Buck »

Great shooting! 14 more days on targets. Then straight into the boiler room....
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

BigSteve wrote:GrassyKnoll, I don't know much about crossbows. I have been indexing my arrows the same when I load them. By that I mean I was putting the vane down that would leave the word "Diablo" on the right rail. I thought that may make a difference. I have not tried shooting each arrow indexed differently to see which way it shoots best. It never crossed my mind but I will try it. As far as spine indexed arrows, I don't know what that is but it sure sounds cool!

This was my suspicion. Try using the 150gr points, as Boo also mentioned, and I'm certain you'll see tightened groups. When you are ready to replace your stock arrows you have the option of heavier brass inserts that will allow you to use 100gr points and maintain great accuracy.

Paul
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

fergie, the trigger is pretty darn good. It's got a little more travel than I prefer but it's smooth and it isn't heavy. Sounds like my biggest problem is the 100 gr points. I sent the scope back as requested by Excalibur. When I get a scope back, I will try 150 gr points. The only reason I was using 100 gr is because all my broadheads are 100 gr. If I have to buy 150 gr broadheads I will, I guess I was just being cheap about it and wanting to use what I already have. I bought the Diablo arrows because that seemed to be what Excalibur recommended. What does everybody recommend as a better arrow, and where do I get them?

And I just want to say that all of you on here are awesome! I'm learning a lot thanks to everyone's support. There for a while I was wondering if I had made a mistake by buying an Excalibur, but this forum has restored my faith. I kind of feel like I have joined a family, the Excalibur family.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I think the suggestion of trying 150grs is to see if you needed a little more FOC (front of center) weight.

If the 150s fly good, then brass inserts in the front of your arrow will allow you to continue uing your 100gr heads

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Most here use the Black Eagle Zombie Slayer arrows. I recommend the 92gr or 110gr brass inserts. If you finish filling in your profile so we know where you're from it'll make it easier to help you. If you're in Canada you can contact Boo on this forum. You'll find him in the trading post section. If you're in the U.S. you can try Jerry at South Shore Archery or Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery for B.E. Exocutioners.

Paul