What is your favorite Xcal target block?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cmarcum

What is your favorite Xcal target block?

Post by cmarcum »

I have several shooting targets. Its time to replace them and get new ones because I keep shooting thru them into my backup targets and its a pain to remove bolts and messes up fletchings. What brand has good stopping power for a Matrix 405 and is relatively easy to remove bolts plus can shoot broadheads into?
GrassyKnoll

Re: What is your favorite Xcal target block?

Post by GrassyKnoll »

The Blob target works best for me. I've had mine for over three years now and still no pass through.. Also it stays outside all year long and there is no sign of wear from the elements.. There are probably close to if not over a 1000 shots in it with broadheads and it is still in great shape... Do Not shoot a field point into it though as you might be seeing your local chiropractor afterwards..

Link: http://www.blobtargets.net/

These are a physically heavy target and are not really designed to be moved around a lot.. One could mount one on a small wagon and roll it back and forth for varying distances....

I swear my these targets over what is out there commercially.. You will get years of solid use from one....
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You will be very hard pressed to find a target thats great fer both field pts n BHeads.
I use the biggest SpiderWeb target fer field pts n the Rineheart 18-1 fer BHeads
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

vixenmaster wrote:You will be very hard pressed to find a target thats great fer both field pts n BHeads.
I use the biggest SpiderWeb target fer field pts n the Rineheart 18-1 fer BHeads
How easy is it to remove the arrows from the SpiderWeb target?
I currently use the cheap BuckMaster rag targets from walmart.
I can remove my arrows from them with with 2 fingers.
I have one at home and one at the cabin and will need to replace the one I have here at home next spring. The RamCat BH's I use fly the same as my target tips so I don't really need a target for them. When I do shoot BH's I use my brother in-laws block target and almost need a winch to remove the arrows. lol
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Opey

Post by Opey »

I'm in the market for a target for my bolt cutters. The one piece of advice that I was given was to spray or wipe your bolts with PAM or something like it. It is suppose to make bolt removal a lot easier. I'll test it as soon as I get my matrix back.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I can remove my arrows usin 2 fingers also :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You can also use the CRC silicone spray on arrow shafts. Makin them much easier to pull out on foam targets
Half Bubble Off BD360

flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

vixenmaster wrote:You can also use the CRC silicone spray on arrow shafts. Makin them much easier to pull out on foam targets
Scorpion Venom makes an arrow lube that works well also. But Beware, lube up an arrow and shoot a bag target instead of your block and you may loose an arrow !
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hands down the Rhinehart rhinoblock. It's the same material as the 18 in 1 but with a larger shooting surface and a replaceable center. It's more expensive than the 18 in 1 but with the less expensive replacement center it's the better deal in the long run.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....Third Hand Target proved to be great and an easy arra removal with FT's...18 n 1 or any Reinhardt for BH's

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

Morrell for field points & 18-1 for BHs.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
cmarcum

Post by cmarcum »

paulaboutform wrote:Hands down the Rhinehart rhinoblock. It's the same material as the 18 in 1 but with a larger shooting surface and a replaceable center. It's more expensive than the 18 in 1 but with the less expensive replacement center it's the better deal in the long run.

Paul

I ended up buying the Rhinoblock. Couldn't be happier. Using scorpion venon on the practice swhackers the arrows removed fairly easily. Thanks to all who shared their experience.
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

I have an old delta speed bag. It is just filled with old rags. It works very well at stopping arrows from the 380. I have shot a several targets and can say that the rag bags are hard to beat. Arrows just side out with no effort and I bought a bunch of Morrel target faces to match any quarry.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Morrell- ... lsrc=aw.ds

The rags work so well I made my own for broadheads out of a corn feed bag stuffed with old clothes. You can't pull broadhead out but you can push them out the top real easy.....not a problem since I don't shoot hundreds of broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

For field points I have had great luck with the BullDog targets. Stopped 380fps from 15 yards. Consistently stops 360 fps as well at 15 yards. 200 shots, not pass through yet and a life time warranty.

I also just got the Cabela's target made by Rinehart for broadheads. The ugly brown one with green spots. It's a little tough to remove the bolts but , with a swift pull they do come out. At 20 and 30 they come out now problem. At 15 yards the 15" arrow has about 5" before the vanes to grab a hold of.
Last edited by janesy on Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Spyderweb 18XL for field points. Pull out with one hand easy.

(Morrell 400 FPS is OK at longer ranges, but at 15 yds I buried the first arrow I ever shot into it in the nylon/plastic backer in the center & was a bear to get out)

Rhinehart 18-1 or Block for broadheads.

Be careful using arrow lube as other have said, in my experience it makes them go in just as easy as it's supposed to make them come out. (using arrow lube I totally buried an arrow in my block, although it did come out easy enough)
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64