How much will this string stretch!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cajuntec

How much will this string stretch!!!

Post by cajuntec »

Man! Before last season, I installed a flemish twist string (Excalibur brand) on my Axiom. Shot it a bunch. Adjusted. Shot some more. Adjusted. Repeated several times. Hunted opening weekend - shot a deer. Awesome! Happy. Right before the next weekend, I look and it needs adjusting again. Adjusted, shot, went hunting - shot a second deer! Next week - needs adjusting again. It just keeps stretching.

At the end of the season, I adjusted it one more time to the max recommended brace height. I just looked at it tonight - it's touching the stoppers!

It's to the point that it's no longer a round string. It's got so many twists in it, it's starting to deform a bit.

Thinking of buying a new string for it, but if it's going to stretch like this, I don't want the original. I've never had a string stretch this much - and I shoot a longbow, a recurve, and a compound.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

All the best,
Glenn
mingle

Re: How much will this string stretch!!!

Post by mingle »

I have the same string and it's about 4yrs old and still stretching..Im with you.It's getting old,ajusting the brace height all the time.I have a endless loop on my matrix same stuff.I think vixenmaster can solve our problem with a force 10 string.I was wondering if the force 10 string is as fast as the ones we are using..
Boo

Post by Boo »

When you store the bow, raise the braceheight an inch or 2 higher than normal. That will preload the string, accelerating the string creep.
The fastest way to get all the creep out is by shooting the bow a whole lot.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Buy a custom string, less stretch or cock it and let it hang for a week when you put new string on.
Opey

Post by Opey »

I just bought a Flemish string from 8ptbuck, he custom makes them and there is a lot of good feedback on his strings. I have also read a lot of positives on a BOO String (flemish). Just do a search for Flemish string and you should find everything you need.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

We all have our favorites, but all the string makers on this sight make good quality strings for the prices offered.
Force 10 or Rhino string have very little stretch at all and settle quickly.
Custom Strings from Boo, 8ptbuk, and nchunterkw offer a smoother shot with a small amount of stretch at first but settle in very quickly.
vixenmaster offers some bargains on his strings.
There are others as well, and whoever you decide to purchase from I am sure you will be very satisfied.
I have purchased strings from almost every string maker here and have never had a bad one.
It mostly comes down to taste... some people prefer a smoother shot and are willing to give up a couple fps, while others prefer speed over feel and will go with a force 10 or rhino string. I prefer a smoother quieter shot and really enjoy some of the custom strings available.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Listen to Boo's suggestion and set the brace height higher than you want it. That will help tremendously. Just be aware that these strings never stop stretching, they do slow down significantly though. Maintaining a proper brace height is just part of the game. Even with my compounds, although they didn't stretch anywhere near as much as a crossbow string, still needed adjustments for cam sync and timing. Don't let anyone tell you this string or that string won't stretch...or won't stretch once settled. It's simply not true. We've all been there and I remember asking the exact question as you. Boo's advice will save you a lot of frustration.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Twist n maintain n perserveer :) gives yer arms a good work out
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
GunsiteScout

Post by GunsiteScout »

Is it possible to twist an endless or Flemish string too much to adjust for brace height? Could it kink or snap at a tight spot? My factory string on my 380 kept stretching like Stretch Armstrong.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

When it starts to kink up, get another one.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!

Post by newbie »

I put any new string on my string stretcher that i use for reserving.... and crank the heck outa it. This is the same idea as setting a high brace and or cocking the bow.
works wonders on settling the string.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

newbie wrote:I put any new string on my string stretcher that i use for reserving.... and crank the heck outa it. This is the same idea as setting a high brace and or cocking the bow.
works wonders on settling the string.
I now do the same :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
xbolt

Post by xbolt »

I had the same thing happen with the factory string on my 355 I got a Flemish and shot it a lot it has settled in nice plus it looks cool! This site has a lot of good string makers on it and as mentioned their prices are good you wont be disappointed.
Matrix 355
Triggertech 2.5
18" Bee's
Nchunter strings