Baiting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BrotherRon

Re: Baiting

Post by BrotherRon »

The last batch I had mixed up at the feed mill I used 60# corn, 60# oats, 60# soybeans, and 20# alfalfa. It needs to be kept dry though because of the alfalfa.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:

Post by newbie »

racking up points wrote:In Ontario, I have quit baiting entirely because I found it never really worked for me. I think a feeder or a bait pile is a dead give away to big bucks, I have never seen one on a feed pile. I have had equal success using it and no using it, so I err on the cheap side :D I do use a bait pile to get pre season pics every year and 90% of the pics are at night.
I don't usually expect results other then as you for seeing whats around. I hate going into the area too much at one stand anyway. Other stands have people around all the time, workers actually.
Ive actually seen quite a few antlers in the light the less and less im there, even at the piles, if even to grab a few mouth fulls and carry on. Mostly though they are in the dark.

I was mainly wondering how many people actually shoot deer over them (piles).
I drop some apples or corn hoping to get them grazing through.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
wsisk

Post by wsisk »

Im going to throw mu 2 cents worth in.Where I live hunting over bait is a no no.Now my daughters boyfriend paid for me to hunt on a lease where it is legal.I found a saddle ridge with rubs and scrapes 2 weeks afrter the opening.

We put up a ladder stand baited with corn and put up trail cams on bait and on scrapes.Deer found it the first evening a few does and a small 6 point.

I have hunted the stand 5 times not in a row.I have seen plenty of squirells and bears no deer.Trail cam pictures show the same excypt deer do show up way past shooting light.No new rubs and scrapes have not been cleaned out since baiting.

Now this is just my opnion but placing bait should be outlawed unless next I hunt this stand I kill oneor even see 1 :roll: Thoughts :?:and then Ill give my honest opinion
MIcro 335 GEN 2
Widow Maker/ Undertaker
Nchunterkw Strings
Vixenmaster Slave Stringer
Cabelas Laser Stricker 11 Broadheads
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I don't necessarily agree with baiting DEER either, Its the standard in some locations. I use it for entertainment value mostly with added nutrition for them. I NEVER use corn other than the pieces embeded in the blocks. My goal is to ween them off the blocks, and onto me carrying a chunk in my backpack because they recognize the smell. If you leave it out, most times they rather feed on it in the dark hours and can be counter productive for killing a deer. I hunt different states so I play with it everywhere.

I'd be lying if I said I never took the occassional over bait, even a green patch or farm crops is bait. I have a thing for first and second year doe meat, and the "bait" is awesome for that!

Most times I just become invisible, no crazy scents, lures, or attractants. I favor fair chase.

I don't preach any standard of ethics or begrudge a man for putting meat in the freezer.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

My thoughts are if it is legal , have at it . Then somebody should never tell another person what they should do .
That would be like me saying driving deer with dogs should be banned . Just because I have no desire to do it . Does not make it wrong .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
galamb

Post by galamb »

I bait - it's legal where I hunt and I consider it ethical personally.

My theory about baiting has to do with the area you are hunting. I don't have the good fortune to be hunting deer anywhere near Ag fields. So I can't "cut them off" or sit on a trail used by them to get to dinner etc.

I hunt mixed hardwoods with a spatter of ever greens, lot's of rocks, swamps, low hills, gullies and any small clearings (that are dry) are pretty well covered by low junipers.

If I DON'T have a feed pile they really have no reason to come to my stand - there is no "attraction" that would encourage them to go anywhere on the (almost) 1000 acres that we have access to - and again, no farms within "miles".

That also restricts what they will feed on. My "first hand" trials have shown that the either don't know or don't like carrots, pumpkins and beets (used by many as the preferred feed). So "my deer" get corn and apples (they prefer the apples over anything). They will also eat acorns (as a third choice) and they do come in for minerals.

If I mix up a batch of "deer cane" and selectively spray the leaves of small trees, they will strip the leaves on the sprayed trees leaving the un-sprayed leaves untouched. If I bury minerals (brand doesn't seem to be important) they will "excavate" to get at them - often leaving what looks like an impact crater. They also come into curiosity scents (the incense sticks advertised as "all year").

Years back when we hunted the edge of a berry farm there was nothing we could "put out" that would alter their movement - they went for the berries every day 30 minutes before dark like "clock work".

So "I believe" that there is no one answer to fit all situations. If you have a nearby natural or agricultural food source, they will "go there" - no need to feed. If you are really in the "boonies" you need to give them a reason to get them to come where you are...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

No baiting is illegal here in pa.in wmu2g .We are turning in ones doing it with big fines ..I blame wal-mart for it ALSO THEY LOAD THEIR SHELVES DURING DEER SEASON WITH deer cocaine FEED ETC .....The hunters that were never good at deer hunting are ones we usually catch hunting over bait ..They are always looking for EASY way to get deer.....
884savage

Post by 884savage »

As far as getting the best trail camera photos, I've found nothing beats mock scrapes. They simply work all year. I don't do anything too fancy. I scrape away leaves, spray the licking branch with dominant buck urine (yes I know bucks don't pee on the licking branch), and then 50/50 whether I put a scrape dripper over the scrape. Most photos are at night, but they are great for patterns and showing when daylight activity picks up.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

884savage wrote:As far as getting the best trail camera photos, I've found nothing beats mock scrapes. They simply work all year. I don't do anything too fancy. I scrape away leaves, spray the licking branch with dominant buck urine (yes I know bucks don't pee on the licking branch), and then 50/50 whether I put a scrape dripper over the scrape. Most photos are at night, but they are great for patterns and showing when daylight activity picks up.
You are correct almost all our pics in archery at scrape at from 9pm to 11;30pm never in shooting hrs..
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

What kinda vegetation do y'all northern folk find common as a licking or chewing branch?

I've found all over the south, the Bucks love to use Yaupon Holly, I've come to firmly believe because it contains caffeine. I think its the only north american plant that does.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

sproulman wrote:No baiting is illegal here in pa.in wmu2g .We are turning in ones doing it with big fines ..I blame wal-mart for it ALSO THEY LOAD THEIR SHELVES DURING DEER SEASON WITH deer cocaine FEED ETC .....The hunters that were never good at deer hunting are ones we usually catch hunting over bait ..They are always looking for EASY way to get deer.....
The liquor store and bars by me also sell way too much booze to the people driving there! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

xcaliber wrote:
sproulman wrote:No baiting is illegal here in pa.in wmu2g .We are turning in ones doing it with big fines ..I blame wal-mart for it ALSO THEY LOAD THEIR SHELVES DURING DEER SEASON WITH deer cocaine FEED ETC .....The hunters that were never good at deer hunting are ones we usually catch hunting over bait ..They are always looking for EASY way to get deer.....
The liquor store and bars by me also sell way too much booze to the people driving there! :lol: :lol:
YOU ARE RIGHT...The hunter that tried to run over me and whiskers was drunk with 2 kids in front seat.i was going to shoot radiator of truck he had those dark tinted windows i could not see in...

in court he said,I WAS DRINKING AND THOUGHT SPROUL SHOT A DOE AND MY KIDS SAW NO DEER AT 1PM ....I was ruff grouse hunting and never road hunt shooting out window..Kids said he had case of beer behind seat ..unreal...I said to judge ,YOU KNOW HOW TO TELL A ALCOHALIC?Their cowlick on head sticks up :lol: Judge said Sproul you are out of order... :roll: :roll: :roll:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Just messing with you, here in Indiana it is illegal to bait. Hunting over a corn or bean field is OK though. :?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!

Post by newbie »

xcaliber wrote:Just messing with you, here in Indiana it is illegal to bait. Hunting over a corn or bean field is OK though. :?
It's funny eh.
some people think you bait its like shooting fish in a barrel. Ive found the years i didnt bait vs baiting it made no difference ither then filling up my SD cards faster at night, making coons fat and keeping the squirrels busy. It definitely doesn't help fill the freezer faster.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

newbie wrote:
xcaliber wrote:Just messing with you, here in Indiana it is illegal to bait. Hunting over a corn or bean field is OK though. :?
It's funny eh.
some people think you bait its like shooting fish in a barrel. Ive found the years i didnt bait vs baiting it made no difference ither then filling up my SD cards faster at night, making coons fat and keeping the squirrels busy. It definitely doesn't help fill the freezer faster.
x100
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-