Contact grunt for bucks .... and "Cooper Calls" .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Contact grunt for bucks .... and "Cooper Calls" .

Post by R.J. »

Been lots of conversation about grunt calls over the last few weeks ....

I'm no expert but they have worked well for me over the years > I use a basic 3-4 call series at pretty well every set up . bahhhhhhh / bahhhhhh / bahhh / bahhh just to let any deer within earshot know that it was a deer making noise during my walk in and set up ( since you can never get in completely quiet ).

During the rut I have had good luck with aggressive bark grunts and rattling .

I have a collection of "Cooper Calls" that forum member " wabi" makes at home . ( here is one I've used for years ) .

Frank V is a believer ... he called in his 1st buck ever with a " Cooper Call " .... he made a few light contact grunts when he got into the stand and this buck showed up right away . Now I'm not saying if you buy a Cooper Call and grunt in the stand a buck will show up every time , but if there is a deer within earshot and your set up is good with the wind , they will most likely come in to check it out . That has been my experience over the years ....

Years ago , I did a set up and as soon as I had gone up with my climber , I did my usual contact grunts and got an immediate response when this young seven point walk up out of the cedars , followed the trail . stopped to pee into a scrape and then walked by my tree ... I was lucky enough to get the whole thing frame by frame ...

Bottom Line ... I wouldn't go into the woods without a grunt call minimum ... been real useful tool over the years .

Anyway > Keep the stories and pictures coming ! .... I got a beauty "Bull Moose Down" picture from Sandman yesterday > I'm sure he will have an awesome photo thread when he gets back from his moose hunt !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
xcaliber

Re: Contact grunt for bucks .... and "Cooper Calls" .

Post by xcaliber »

Nice pics! Very hard to beat a good Wabi call in my opinion too.

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... g.jpg.html]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Thanks for the kind words about the calls.
Unfortunately the plant that manufactured the laminates I used burned last year, and I haven't had a chance to try out any other laminates yet. I may just switch to natural wood for the calls.
Haven't been inspired to turn any so far this year, but I may turn a few if I get some wood I like.
I made some calls (deer grunt & bleat, crow, and predator) for myself out of olive wood last year and liked the way it looks and finishes. I even made myself a pen to fill out the tags, and bought an "Opinel" olivewood knife for the hunting pouch. :lol:
Blackwood is another great wood for calls, but it's almost impossible to find quality blanks anymore. I've tried it from a couple different sources and end up throwing away about half the wood I buy due to bad imperfections (cracks, holes, and splits).

wabi
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

You are one of the craftsman on here .
Nice work . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Yep a craftsman for sure ...

The laminates are cool but I like all the ones you have made to date ... A doe bleat / grunt call / and scent control = all must have in any gearpack .

See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "