Newbie with crossbow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kyturkeyhunter

Newbie with crossbow?

Post by Kyturkeyhunter »

The wife and i have decided to give crossbows a try so we picking up 2 new micro 335 packages a extra 12 bolts 12 boltcutter broadheads will this be a decent setup for deer hunting with out having to do a lot of experimenting with bolts and heads we have zero experience with archery
Mmiller385

Re: Newbie with crossbow?

Post by Mmiller385 »

Congrats on a great x bow. The stock quills and Bolt cutters are defineltly adequate to fill the freezer. Happy hunting
Bowtech tribute
Micro 335
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

You will be just fine, but you will definately have to add a string changing and adjusting ( adjustable nylon rope ) device.

New bows seldom come properly adjusted brace height wise and the strings will stretch for a while when new.... it's imperative you keep the distance between the string and rubber string bumpers spaced at 3/16- 1/4".

Many here will set a new string at 1/2"-5/8" and find it will get down to the correct distance pretty fast with some shooting or if left cocked overnight. After ideal height is set and seems to be pretty steady, keep an eye on it and twist it up ( counter-clockwise on one end ) if needed to keep the correct gap maintained.

You are both in for some frun, :D but watch the Excalibur videos found here in the "grey area" in the sidebar to the left under "DVD catalog" and keep your fingers and thumbs below the rail and out of the triangle of pain at all times :wink: ... Do not forget to engage your safety after cocking your bow and before slipping an arrow onto the rail and fully into the trigger. Only take it "Off Safe" right before taking the shot.

Enjoy your new bows and do not hesitate to ask questions here as they come up.

Welcome to the forum and excalibur family.
Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I second what L.E. said above...a name and number which you should get familiar with is that of Danny Miller...Dr Danny as some of us call him is Mr. Excalibur...He has a business named Horizontal Archery in Sardis OH...Danny makes the strings for Excalibur that you have found on your bow. Danny is an old time business owner...down to earth, simple, tells it how it is....no up selling and just like the business owners of yesteryear doesn't know from the internet...

....in any event Danny will tell you EXACTLY what you need....a stringer being one of them....I might also suggest an extra string for each bow along with some good string wax to keep the string nice and waxed...he will fill you in on anything extra.

....Danny Miller 1.740.483.2312....tell Danny the forum sent you!

....Welcome aboard and part of the Excalibur family....stick around...you will probably have a bunch of queries....a lot of experts more than willing to lend a helping hand!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, what they said. Watch the instructional videos here too, although the models may be different, the principles are the same. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Why give your wife a bow that draws 260lbs? Can she cock it? The Micro looks cute and it's easy for a woman to hold it steady while aiming, but it's a bear to cock and in the woods she might need to reload it. My wife is physically fit and lifts weights regularly, she's small framed, and the only Excaliburs she can cock independently are the Vixen and Matrix 310. Before you buy, make sure she can cock it. There are better bows for women than a Micro 335.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Kyturkeyhunter

Post by Kyturkeyhunter »

Thanks for the info yall . As for the wife she picked them out at the dealer and had no problem with drawing it me on the other hand my needed some help
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Kyturkeyhunter wrote:Thanks for the info yall . As for the wife she picked them out at the dealer and had no problem with drawing it me on the other hand my needed some help

:shock: :shock: :shock: that be one tough woman which would have me memorizing two words, "yes dear!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Kyturkeyhunter wrote:Thanks for the info yall . As for the wife she picked them out at the dealer and had no problem with drawing it me on the other hand my needed some help
Congrats and glad to have you on board.
I'm glad you're wife can cock it mine can't even come close she can barely cock her Matrix 330. I'm usually getting the workout cocking them both when we're shooting. I cocked my Micro 335 about 25-30 times one day shooting with some Boy Scouts and had shoulder issues for about 2 days, I switched back to the Matrix models because they're a lot easier to cock.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

amythntr wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: that be one tough woman which would have me memorizing two words, "yes dear!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that's funny! :lol:
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard, and congrats.
I myself am glad I stayed with the 310 and 330.
I would not be able to cock the micro more than a couple times....
and I enjoy spending a few hours shooting sometimes.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
donpr

Post by donpr »

Hi, I am new to this forum and crossbows, I bought 380 mad max Tuesday brought it home. The wife just did her hunting coarse and loved the 380, but could not cock it. I would like to suprise at christmas with one...vixen ? or some other...sorry if I hijacked thread. Shes 5' 6" thanks
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

amythntr wrote:

Anthony..... You've already got those memorized!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I would get her a Matrix 330 if she can cock it, this way you keep the arrows the same for both bows.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Congratulations!!!! It's great you guys hunt together!!! My wife is also my hunting partner. It doesn't get any better than that!!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.