Shooting high and windage off at distance....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mike in indiana

Shooting high and windage off at distance....

Post by mike in indiana »

So I got out and shot the Matrix 380 today, its dead on at 20 yards...but as you go out to 30, 40, and 50 yards it increasingly shoots higher and farther to the right. Impact at 50 yards is 4" high and 2" right.
When I mounted the scope I used a level to level the reticle with the limbs, Im going to double check that here in a few. The only thing I can think of that would cause this is the reticle being out of plumb...any thoughts as to something I may be missing?

Re: Shooting high and windage off at distance....

Post by newbie »

level it with your riser. I will agree sounds like your scope is out of plumb.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

Did this just start? Was everything ok prior to this shooting session,or is this the first time shooting this set up? If everything was ok prior to this,then I would think scope may be the problem. If this is the first shooting session,then could have some thing to do with your arrows. Are you shooting with broadheads or field points. If shooting broadheads(fixed blade),that could be the problem. If shooting field points,might be problems with fletching on arrows or the scope itself.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

2" at 50 yards on windage, adjust the scope. That is after making sure the scope is level. The vertical adjustment is the speed ring. Stack two targets and put a dot near the top. Use your 20 yard reticle on that top dot at 50 yards knowing the arrow will be hitting about 30" low. Set the speed ring so the 20 yard reticle is on that dot, and the 50 yard Chevron is on the arrow. Your set.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

One other thing you might want to try is , use only one arrow to sight in . use a marking pen and put a dot on one vane and two on the other and three on the last one .now take three shot with each dot and you may see the difference in the flight of you arrow . this may seem like a lot of foolen around but you will see the results. if you sight in with field points use only them if you sight in with broadheads use only them. but get your scope set up first.
W.M.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Rather than use a level on the scope....put the level on the riser as stated and use a plumb line hanging some distance away and line up the vertical line in your scope reticle with that, while the bow is sitting perfectly level.

I use 1/2" nylon rope with a weight hanging from something easily accessible.

Then make sure you are not canting the bow while shooting.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
mike in indiana

Post by mike in indiana »

Been really busy soIm sorry for the delay in replying, gonna try to redo the scope today.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Come on Hoosier, gitrdone! :lol:
Good luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SEW

Post by SEW »

Ideal windage setting is made with no/low wind and at max range. If a dedicated Xbow scope, the 20 and maximum range marks are critical for vertical. Set the 20 perfectly, then the 50 or 60 or 75 (if XB75) or maybe 80 if SR Pro, etc . Get that farthest range mark (but not over 75-80 yet), set by adjusting the speed ring. The longer distance will allow a finer tuning of left/right.
SEW

Post by SEW »

SEW wrote:Ideal windage setting is made with no/low wind and at max range. If a dedicated Xbow scope, the 20 and maximum range marks are critical for vertical. Set the 20 perfectly, then the 50 or 60 or 75 (if XB75) or maybe 80 if SR Pro, etc . Get that farthest range mark (but not over 75-80 yet), set by adjusting the speed ring. The longer distance will allow a finer tuning of left/right.
Also, a scope level (a simple device that is held onto a scope base, etc that can be used to level the xhairs) has made scope orientation simple for me.