New member needs lots of advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ihavethetools

New member needs lots of advice

Post by ihavethetools »

Hello everyone. I've decided to sell my wheeled xbow and get a Matrix 330. I like the simplicity that the Excalibur brings. A couple questions to start. Is it wise to buy a bare bow and trick it out as I please ? What scope, quiver, arrows/broad head weight? Using the bow for whitetail only here in Pa.Basically, what do I need on this bow and what don't I need ? Thanks for any advice, suggestions.
350 SE, Boo Custom String, Munch Alum Rope Cocker Hooks
Quake Sling, Hawke SB1 SR
Vixenmaster String,18" Zombie Slayers, Firenocks
DrStirrup dBKiller Limb Silencers & string bumpers.
xcaliber

Re: New member needs lots of advice

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats first off, I suggest you watch all the videos on the right before shooting. Although the models are different all of the principals are basically the same. Get a stringing aid, and I suggest an upgrade scope. Danny Miller makes string bumpers that I feel are the better choice as well. An ADD is good for protection against dry firing the bow as well. Last would be a good Flemish String.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

ADD = Anti Dry fire Device
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
ihavethetools

Post by ihavethetools »

When I looked up Dan Miller, it shows Horizontal Archery. When I click it Wyvern Creations shows up. Same company ?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nope, but David sells Danny Miller Bumpers, just tell him the model. He is a great guy to deal with in my book!
Danny does phone sales, no internet. Phone # (740) 483-2312
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Now, I don't have ADF on my Matrix bows because I got all the dry firing out of my system a few years ago as one of the Presidents of the Dry Fire Club on more than one occasion. It is not a matter of if, but when. For the 330 Matrix it is hard to beat the Nikon Bolt Scope. Although it is not reticle / chevron adjustable for varying speeds, the circles do line up well for the bows speed, and using the Nikon BDC calculator, and a bit of learning / practice it is very nice in the woods! Here is a picture of my "Sister's" The 355 on the left is sporting a Redfield Revenge which is an awesome scope as well in my opinion.

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... u.jpg.html]Image
ihavethetools

Post by ihavethetools »

Thank you. I figured out that Wyvern wasn't Dan. I have dealt with David before and was well pleased. I see SO many accessories for the Excals. I've read that the 330 is noisy. Is that true. If so is the 355 any quieter ? I'd like to quiet down either as much as possible. What the heck are the air brakes I see ? What are their purpose ? I do like the Nikon BDC. I have one on my Savage Model 11. Of course not the xbow one. I'm looking for as much user input as possible to put together a good hunting rig.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My two are pretty equal on noise, but I would not worry about it on either model inside 40 yards for whitetails. Shoot arrows around 400 grains or more, get the string bumpers, and a good heavy Flemish String, and go hunting! Get some Black Eagle Zombie Slayers with 110 grain inserts, 125 grain fixed blade heads, I like several even if you go with 10 grain heads, you'll do well with the heavier inserts in the snout. My 355 uses 442 total grains, and I'm at 390 total grains with my 330. Not loud at all in the woods in my opinion. :wink:
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

I have a matrix 330.I bought the bare bow package from Wyvern's when they first came out. This is what I use on mine . I put the miller bumpers on it,JBK string,Nikon bolt scope and put Med.Height Leupold rifleman scope rings.I have used the diablo arrows and boltcutters to kill several deer with this setup so far.I recently bought some of Wyverns 330 matrix arrows.Never hear no one on here talk anything about them so I bought 6 to try.At 30 yds its the same POI for me with my same setup using field points as the diablo.I am going to try the wac em broadheads in 100 gr next year on deer with em..I ask David about the weight and was told my diablo with 150 gr head and his 330 arrows with 100 gr bout 400gr total.I really do like his 330 arrows and will order another 6 more :) I usually hunt from a tree but bought a nice blind this year.I shot through the mesh and doubled lung a deer this year.I always hear don't shoot thru the mesh.It works great for me and the boltcutters.I think you need a fixed blade.Hope this helps some on your setup.Oh and I use the miller stringing aid also.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

boo boo..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

xcaliber wrote:Now, I don't have ADF on my Matrix bows because I got all the dry firing out of my system a few years ago as one of the Presidents of the Dry Fire Club on more than one occasion. It is not a matter of if, but when. For the 330 Matrix it is hard to beat the Nikon Bolt Scope. Although it is not reticle / chevron adjustable for varying speeds, the circles do line up well for the bows speed, and using the Nikon BDC calculator, and a bit of learning / practice it is very nice in the woods! Here is a picture of my "Sister's" The 355 on the left is sporting a Redfield Revenge which is an awesome scope as well in my opinion.

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... u.jpg.html]Image

I see you have those great bright white limbs on your bows..lol...That is great pic of what my micro 335 looks like with my bright colored limbs... 8)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Actually, no. The limbs are as dark as the rest of the bow. It is just the way the sun light hits them in the picture. Here is a better picture maybe. I have switched the bumpers to Danny Miller's now on both bows, (Thanks Vic) :wink:

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... z.jpg.html]Image
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

IMO I would go with a package deal at first. You basically get everything you need to get started. Then you can decide what's important to you to improve upon. For some the excal scopes are fine. Others want an upgrade.

You can't beat the price of the grizzly package or the M350. Then upgrade as you see fit. You're probably not going to stop at just one bow anyways!!! :lol: Most of us have 2, 3 or more!! :D

Welcome to the forum!!
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
ihavethetools

Post by ihavethetools »

Well guys and gals, I ran across a deal I couldn't pass up. Al Flaherty's Outdoor Store has a Matrix 350 LE package for 699.00 Canadian which came to 518.74 US dollars and free shipping. It comes with the Dead Zone scope,quiver bracket,quiver, 3 Diablo arrows,rope cocker and cheek piece. I'll be ordering a Munch mount for it along with Danny Miller bumpers and a string from 8ptbuk. Also an Anti Dry Fire and stringing aid. I'm going to need a few more arrows so any advice would be appreciated.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Great choice; you're gonna love it . Great bow at an affordable price.
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR