Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MTBighorn

Re: Speed test results Matrix 380 & Bulldog 400

Post by MTBighorn »

That is impressive data SEW! Thank you for sharing :!:
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

I did same chronograph tests with my BD400 and Matrix 380 and I had about the same results as SEW, I posted them a while back.

About 5 FPS difference between similarly BD400 & Matrix 380 equipped bows.

Even used different weight arrows with similar results.

That said, there are always going to be variables, especially bow to bow.

In MY perspective, I further determined that on the BD400, if I removed the air brakes, limb silencers, used a factory Danny Miller string set at the optimal brace height and used a 350 gr arrows my speeds would be pretty close to the advertised Excal speeds for that bow.

MY perspective with MY bow set-up was that for every additional grain of arrow weight over 350 grains, I lost about .5 fps. (1/2 fps). (For example, an additional 70 gr of arrow cost me around 35 fps.)

Now that's not scientific based on my limited testing, and again, there are many variables, but my findings comparing the two bows aligned pretty much with SEWs.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
Highcountry

Post by Highcountry »

This is pretty funny I've never logged in here before and with a 350 grain Bolt I am shooting 387 feet per second not 400. I called Excalibur on this and I was told I should be shooting 387 feet per second with a 400 grain. Which would be great but now I'm in the370's with a 400 grain Arrow. So the problem I have if they just came out with the Bulldog 380 which in my opinion is the 400 they just changed the name but I paid more for my 400 then the 380 cost. When I contacted Excalibur they didn't really have an answer for me and I can post emails from them to prove that. I know the old owner would have taken care of me to say the least I am extremely disappointed! Does anybody else have a problems like this?
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i believe with the smaller limbs its harder to insure exact speeds. if you have a slow set of limbs just ask them to do a warranty replacement to get a set that does 400 fps. also understand that your chrono may have some % error. gonna be some give and take. if you really want a fast crossbow id pick up a Mega 405. they can still be had. mine shoots spec!
Karl

Post by Karl »

These differences are dissappointing to see. Velocity should be fairly standard and similar to advertised. I always felt excalibur shouldnt have gone chasing speed so much in these compact bows, maybe stopped at 355 . Anything higher made full size like a faster exomax.
SEW

Post by SEW »

I'm in love with my Excalibur xbows and have tremendous respect for the company. Doubt I'll ever own any other brand unless I win another brand in a contest.
That written, my M380 didn't shoot 380, nor did my BD400 shoot 400, nor did my M405 shoot 405 with a 351g arrow(Diablo/100g field point). What I did though was use the same limbs, arrow, string, optimum (fastest) brace height for each Xbow and compared speeds. The original M380 is exactly 5'/sec slower than the BD. There was a true 25'/sec difference in the M380 & M405 when shooting a 351g arrow, slightly different with a 483g arrow (forgot the difference). Shooting slightly heavier arrows out of the M405 and having ABs on the 405 has brought the 405's performance to near BD400 level. My 405 has ABs and shoots heavier arrows which may be a factor in its dependibility.
The destressed limb mounting has to take a toll on speed. 90 + % of Excal owners will never know their BD380 isn't shooting 380.
Once again, we, on this board, only represent a tiny fraction of Excal owners. Bet we give Excal a lot more grief than the average Excal owner :D .
Highcountry

Post by Highcountry »

That being said 5 fps I would not complain but 13 is not ok I know there variances with chronograph and other equipment but 13 feet per second isnt even close. So what you're saying is that they take the best limbs chronograph from themselves and don't have quality control on the rest of the limbs. Sounds kind of odd but they hand-pick for themselves to get their speed but not their customers. The speed is closer to 380 then it is to 400 and I paid for a 400 not a 380 otherwise I would have bought the 380. Don't get me wrong I love my Excalibur it shoots nice but now they're realizing that the 400 puts out 380 they made a 380 and charge less money and the people that bought the 400 just have to deal with it that's not right!