Buying a Rainsuit - Any Recommendations?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

racking up points

Buying a Rainsuit - Any Recommendations?

Post by racking up points »

I need a lightweight, fully waterproof, and possibly packable camo rainsuit - jacket and pants. Does anyone have a system they would recommend? My lightweight camo went the way of Mike's Matrix------> out the tailgate. Thanks
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
mr meat

Re: Buying a Rainsuit - Any Recommendations?

Post by mr meat »

Sorry Derrick had to laugh :lol: :lol: Had a Frogg Togs I think it was,but that was a long time ago but ripped it! It was light weight! I think they still make them but not sure on the quality!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Look at Game Hide, I have several different items from them, and all have performed as advertised.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Cabela's MT050 Gore-Tex jacket and pant has never let me down. It is not the cheapest but worth every dollar in the woods the way I see it
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hey Derrick, it depends on the quality you're looking for and how much you want to spend. If you want something that's quiet and meant to be hunted in check out Kiuiu. Go with just a shell so you're free to layer as needed under it. I've got a Cabellas brand jacket that stuffs into a tiny sack about 5" × 10" and weighs next to nothing. They have pants to match in an equal size pack. The jacket is great in normal rain and heavy downpour for a time but after hours in downpour it'll saturate through. I don't know that you'd spend hours in heavy downpour though. These run about $150.00 CAD each and are a great option. However, not a silent material for walking. You can also check out Canadian Tire. They have some gear called Mad Dog or something like that but I find it saturates quicker and feels bulkier. Back to the high end is the Sitka gear. Equivalent to the Kiuiu in quality and price. Personally, I'd hold out and spend the extra money on one of these. You'll be more comfortable and dry and if need be you can build your base layers for colder weather. Think of the rain gear like optics, buy the best you can afford because you'll get what you pay for. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Post by newbie »

racking up points wrote:I need a lightweight, fully waterproof, and possibly packable camo rainsuit - jacket and pants. Does anyone have a system they would recommend? My lightweight camo went the way of Mike's Matrix------> out the tailgate. Thanks
man I am sorry you caught it too. I'll wear a mask next time I'm down.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

I always carried a surplus camo poncho. This was new, US military, not foreign junk. It was woodland camo, rip-stop, and large enough to cover me, a back pack and any weapon. It rolled up very small and I always carried it in my backpack. It didn't cause me to overheat on warm days.
The double umbrella that you can mount on a tree over you works well in light rain and I always carried one of those too! Easy to set up.
I was happy with both of these items.
Good hunting!
Bob
THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF A PINT OF ALE TO A COMMON PERSON SHOULD NEVER BE OVERLOOKED!
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Yup, it's called a ground blind. :lol: Seriously check out Sitka rain gear. Very expensive but it lives up to its Promises. Very tough, lightweight, and lasts forever. My son hunts with it on North Vancouver Island. And as anyone knows, if it can keep you dry on the Island, it will keep you dry anywhere. He uses the digital camo and has never gotten wet.
Hank
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Hunt in Texas.......It doesn't rain but once every four or five years! :shock: :lol:
I think the good ones are pricey, and the bargains are not a bargain. That's why I still wear the old rubber rain suit I have had for about two forevers. It is heavy, loud, and hot. You will get wet from the inside out. But I have got it. Wish you luck.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bass Pro's Red Head is so far the best I own.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Frogs toggs.....hard to beat l wear it under a light camo jacket ...you forget you have it on
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

hankenhunter wrote:Yup, it's called a ground blind. :lol: Seriously check out Sitka rain gear. Very expensive but it lives up to its Promises. Very tough, lightweight, and lasts forever. My son hunts with it on North Vancouver Island. And as anyone knows, if it can keep you dry on the Island, it will keep you dry anywhere. He uses the digital camo and has never gotten wet.
Hank
AH YUUPPP! This is no embellishment. The further west you are on coastal British Columbia the wetter it seems to be. The northern island is some of the toughest, ugliest terrain you can get into. If Ironoggin wasn't at sea I'm sure he'd chime in full agreement. The Sitka and Kiuiu are the best of the best meant for extreme hunting in places like Alaska and British Columbia....unfortunately the price tag reflects that. They do go on sale at Wholesale Sports and Cabellas usually once a year. A couple quality pieces should last for many years. As Normous mentioned, some of the Cabellas gortex wear is excellent. I have a jacket and bibs called Cabellas Guide Wear which I use for work and it's easily equal to the North Face and Arcteryx gear I've had. Good luck buds!

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:Bass Pro's Red Head is so far the best I own.
I've used them out fishing before. kept me dry for the most part in an all day rain. They are not quiet but not real noisy either.
I currently have to frog togs i wore fishing with you Derrick. too bad they didn't fall out at your place :lol:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Boo wrote:Bass Pro's Red Head is so far the best I own.
Yep BP bone dry has been good to me.

On a side note I have the bass pro 100mph rain suit for the boat. The gortex wore out on it after about 8 years of abuse. I called BP and they asked me to ship it back and they will replace it with the upgraded model because all there gortex has a lifetime warranty. That's as good as it gets... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I'll post back after I make a purchase. Since I'm in a pinch for time, I might just have to make a Cabelas or Bass Pro run this weekend :D
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits