Recommend a 20- 100 yard ballistic scope reticle

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stab 'em

Recommend a 20- 100 yard ballistic scope reticle

Post by Stab 'em »

Hello everyone! This is my first post, after reading numerous threads toward finding the best long range ballistic reticled scope. I'd like it to have a zero at twenty and run nine ballistic spaced lines to 100 yards. What I've found out is, nearly all the high-end/big name scope manufacturer's have quit making "crossbow" scopes. Can anyone here point me in the right direction please. The bow is a 335 Micro and bolts are custom Spynal Tapps made by Jerry at South Shore.
Normous

Re: Recommend a 20- 100 yard ballistic scope reticle

Post by Normous »

Welcome, have you considered the HHA Optimizer to dial in your yardage? Many of our forum long range Xbow shooters use this system with confidence.
Copy/paste:

http://www.hhasports.com/catalog/8/opti ... peed-dial/
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I suppose the Hawke XB30 Pro would work well enuff to 100 yds
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

Thanks for the welcome Normous. I looked at the HHA and use their sliders on my compound hunting rigs, but I was looking to make a long range accurate target bow out of the 335 with a stand alone scope that all I have to do is pick a croashair out of to aim with; not looking to fiddle too much.

Vixenmaster, I like the reticle, and it looks like me this is the only one available to suite my demands. His do they hold up?

I'm going to get in touch with Leopold tomorrow about a reticle. Talked with Zeuss today and the nice Rapid-Z 1000 reticle is offered on only one scope and is discontinued. I'm still open for suggestion too.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the suggestions already offered. I can tell you the Optimizer is deadly accurate. As for the Hawke, we have a forum member named Ironoggin who is crazy tough on his equipment and probably one of the most insane hardcore hunters you can hear about. He swears by the toughness of the Hawke and he's also a 100yard shooter.a benefit of the Optimizer is that you can dial in your range and use any variable power you wish.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

XB30 Hawke will hold up
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

vixenmaster wrote:XB30 Hawke will hold up
Unless you bow is very fast, you will also get to shoot at 100 yards. At 2 1/2x-3x me thinks. Fairly low magnification at 100. I am not sure there is a " perfect" crossbow scope that can do all this. I also like a good cheek weld and have never wanted my scope up as high as the HHA requires. :cry:
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

paulaboutform wrote:... As for the Hawke, we have a forum member named Ironoggin who is crazy tough on his equipment and probably one of the most insane hardcore hunters you can hear about. He swears by the toughness of the Hawke and he's also a 100yard shooter....
LOL! Thanks Buddy... I think... :lol:

I wanted exactly what the OP is looking for to top my Matrix 380.
Considered the HHA, but as Paul rightly noted, I am pretty much hell on my equipment, and simply did not want to risk anything else that could be pounded out of commission when hunting.

So I had a good look at what Hawke had to offer. At the time, they had just introduced their 30mm Compact scope, so I figured on giving that one a try with the following SR reticle:

That allowed me to have aiming points from 20 out to 100 yards.
I have no issue in seeing the target at any distances. The scope is decent enough glass, clear & crisp. I do believe that when my eye gets back to shape, none of that will have changed.

This set-up has allowed me to shoot 2 - 3 inch groups at the longest of distances, and tighter everywhere in-between. Jumps the confidence up a LOT at hunting ranges!!

And true to my nature, I have given that scope a real pounding over the years. Worst was likely the tumble off a 45 gallon drum of fuel onto the floor of my buddy's jet rig. Top of the scope was the first thing to hit. Hit hard enough to leave a noticeable scar. Did not even change the point of impact!!

And that is more than good enough for this apparent Mad Man! :lol:
In fact I wish they had not discontinued that model, or I had the sense back then to buy a couple... I believe now their XB30 is the current closest replacement...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

So I found another 100 yard scope that may work on the 335. It is a Kruger made scope for Ravin crossbows. It has the parallax set at 50 yards and has 9 bolt ballistically spaced dots. The glass is coated, the reticle is etched and it is illuminated. Anyone have the opportunity to check this scope out?
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

Here's the reticle for the Ravin scope. Red or green rheostat illuminated.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Stab 'em wrote:Here's the reticle for the Ravin scope. Red or green rheostat illuminated.
Looks interesting. Any reports on optical quality? Power? Is it adjustable for various arrow weights; or, since they came out with required arrows, does the scope just work for the R9/proprietary arrows on a Ravin R9? Scope size and weight? There's a lot of extra clutter on the scope having that extra "0" on there: most could figure out "2" is "20", etc; but maybe not those who think the Ravin is their new "rifle".
SEW

Post by SEW »

I just answered some of my own questions by "goggling " Ravin Xbow Scope.
300-425'/sec, 1.5x5, 8.75" long(I think), shipping wt or actual weight is 1.5#. $299. Swamp Donkey bough a new unused one off someone on Archery Talk for $125. Obviously some Ravin owner didn't like the scope. If the optics are fairly decent, this might be a real contender with the top Hawke scopes.
Normous

Post by Normous »

At 1.5 lb that scope is the heavy side for sure, and I doubt quality glass is provided at $299.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

Normous wrote:At 1.5 lb that scope is the heavy side for sure, and I doubt quality glass is provided at $299.
It is hard to say on the quality of glass, but nearly all $300.00 scopes are made in places with cheap labor, probably at the same factory as a lot of big-name brand scopes are. The Ravin scopes are made by Kruger Optics, and the tech I talked to at Kruger said the lensed were coated on this scope.

I did find a shop that has both the Hawke scopes and the Ravin crossbows in stock close to me, so I'll be checking them out side by side this next week.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Stab 'em wrote:
Normous wrote:... I did find a shop that has both the Hawke scopes and the Ravin crossbows in stock close to me, so I'll be checking them out side by side this next week.
Nice. Let us know your thoughts. At first glance the Raven scope seems bulky and heavy, and the sight area does appear a little more cluttered than the Hawke. I'd take a look through one if I had the opportunity though...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."