What do you guys climb with

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re: What do you guys climb with

Post by longbow joe »

Im guilty of loading up my pack with more stuff than l need .2 grunt calls. 3 scents l only need one!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Lately, I find my knife, and lunch are the only things I really need! But I never hunt without my Wabi Call! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Summit 180 max ..You can face tree in gun season and use tree as rest and hide ya and in archery face away from tree...If you do not have far to go get BIGGEST Summit ..180 max or titan ..all day sits you will like the extra room ..With heavy clothes on in winter the Viper and others are too tight ..They are fine in warm weather ...

If you have FAR to go The winner is LONE WOLF but they are not comfortable ..

heavy truck chains and lock you cannot cut has made my life better hunting i can leave climber at bottom of tree now.. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Lone Wolf is junk, period! Had one, whizzed on it, and gave it away! Same with their climbing sticks, could not get them out of my garage fast enough! They should call them dead wolf! Sorry, but my complete honest opinion. Now, if you have money to throw away, Gucci! :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I don't mean to be a wise arse, but I got my first climber in 1989, Warren & Sweat. I have tried numerous climbers over the years including the Tree Lounge, which was the best buy fay, but you had better be in shape with that one! Gun rests at every angle on that baby, zero slip if you used it right, but it was like carrying a piano on your back! :lol: :lol: I have had a few Summit Climbers, and they are nice. It just burns my arse that they are pretty much the leader in the industry, and no leveling concept to date, unless you want to put your life on the line and unbuckle the damn stand! Come on man! Industry Leader, have they not heard of INNOVATION! I'm done, but here is a blast from the past folks! The Old Tree Lounge! RIP Bob Hice!

Image[url=https://postimg.org/image/mphvni90l/]Image

Did I use it, heck yes!
Image[url=https://postimg.org/image/5dhj22fj9/]Image
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:40 pm
Lone Wolf is junk, period! Had one, whizzed on it, and gave it away! Same with their climbing sticks, could not get them out of my garage fast enough! They should call them dead wolf! Sorry, but my complete honest opinion. Now, if you have money to throw away, Gucci! :lol:
LOL..Lone wolf are junk..Hmmmmmm..I will leave it at that...I will take next one you give away...I would like to use bottom of LW with my Summit 180 max top...Actually I am going all ladderstand now in gun season just too cold to be using climber in rifle deer season and getting out of bed at 4 am at 5 degrees and climbing tree in cold..Brrrrrrrrrr those days are gone at 63 years old ..BUT summit in archery YES,YES ,YES ....

Any suggestions on ladderstand with comfortable seat and shooting rail so i do not fall out sleeping and one that no one wants to steal?about 18 ft high ...
artifact

Post by artifact »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:45 pm
Condition yourselves boys. Put about 40# of rocks in an old backpack, set the treadmill at 20% grade, and hoof it hard for a mile or so. Come on guys! :lol: :lol:
Now I don't know if it is true or not :lol: , but when I ran into the Benoit's up in Maine one of their crew told me they drag 250lb of weight around to get ready to drag deer out of the North Maine Woods!
Between the weighted backpack and the treadmill, plus dragging 250lb around for awhile, something should happen and it may not be good! :roll: :lol:

I just picked up a like new Summit viper at a flea market on Sun., the Baker is long gone (thank goodness!!!!!) and I occasionally use a Loggy Bayou. I bought the Summit mainly for comfort, a buddy of mine has the 180 max and loves it.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

artifact wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:23 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:45 pm
Condition yourselves boys. Put about 40# of rocks in an old backpack, set the treadmill at 20% grade, and hoof it hard for a mile or so. Come on guys! :lol: :lol:
Now I don't know if it is true or not :lol: , but when I ran into the Benoit's up in Maine one of their crew told me they drag 250lb of weight around to get ready to drag deer out of the North Maine Woods!
Between the weighted backpack and the treadmill, plus dragging 250lb around for awhile, something should happen and it may not be good! :roll: :lol:

I just picked up a like new Summit viper at a flea market on Sun., the Baker is long gone (thank goodness!!!!!) and I occasionally use a Loggy Bayou. I bought the Summit mainly for comfort, a buddy of mine has the 180 max and loves it.
180 max you can face a tree and other way too.BUT you must use seat to climb others use RAIL to sit on....Nice you can not fall backwards in the 180 max.Max is bigger but heavier.so is titan...

I LIKE ROOM.I LIKE NICE SEAT ..Put heavy hunting clOTHES ON AND SMALL PLATFORM ..ugh...Viper is best around stand but say its for young guys and smaller folks...over 6 ft tall and 200 pds go with 180 max/titan..

Sproul has spoken..
mikej

Post by mikej »

Summit viper for me also . I have a a big dog double ladder stand as well but I never use it
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

mikej wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 pm
Summit viper for me also . I have a a big dog double ladder stand as well but I never use it
Up until about 58 I loved climbing trees with my summit but now at 63 and walking mile in dark with that baby on your back ,lunch,warm bag etc no fun anymore..

In archery with temps at 50 degrees etc YES I love climber,light clothes on,no warmbag ,no lunch only hunt for 3 hrs etc but at 5 degrees,wind blowing COLD ,5 AM IN MORNING tired from sitting 11 hrs day before its no fun taking 30 minutes to get climber on tree etc and up..

ladderstand is great just climb up and sit down ..Tired and want to go home no carrying climber out just grab gun etc and go ...Archery I do not do all day sits unless its week of RUT ..But in rifle allday sits 11 hrs ,45 minutes each way walking in wirth wind blowing,cold snowing man that ladderstand is nice vrs climber then..

If you can leave climber on tree ready to go THEN i would maybe still use it in cold etc but you will get sweaty but here in my area climber will not be there long we lost 2 climbers 400 bucks each from thiefs..In rifle season you only have to be up 12/15 ft to hunt a buck in archery I like up around 18 ft with my summit climber ..
mikej

Post by mikej »

All very good points , luckily I hunt private land so my climber goes on the tree and stays there
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I usually don't, but when I do I use the best,, my Timber Tall Super Brute,, with upgrade padded seat and backrest,,, the only problem is I seem to nod off frequently when I'm this comfortable!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

I have a steel Walmart $99 special with a seat upgrade and side straps added. Weighs about 30 lbs or maybe 100 lbs depends on the day... :lol: Usually walk it in around 3/4 mile before the season and lock it on somewhere near where I expect to hunt. Most of the time it doesn't get used and I sit on the ground in a ghilly suit but every so often it is needed to look over a rise or hunt a hot beech or oak tree and then it's closeby. Last season it was used 2 times and I saw a doe family being followed by a bobcat, season before I found a hot white oak and climbed a nosebleed 10 ft high near it and shot a nice 6 point the only time it was used. Nice to have one in the area but I have better luck staying on the ground and mobile.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

wildcatter wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:45 pm
I usually don't, but when I do I use the best,, my Timber Tall Super Brute,, with upgrade padded seat and backrest,,, the only problem is I seem to nod off frequently when I'm this comfortable!
Very nice! Yep it's easy to get the nods sometimes.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

mikej wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:01 pm
All very good points , luckily I hunt private land so my climber goes on the tree and stays there
I wish folks would not steal ..You have it made if you can leave climber..
8)