Few questions from first time crossbow buyer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wisconsinbadger

Few questions from first time crossbow buyer

Post by Wisconsinbadger »

Hey guys new crossbow buyer just a few questions thought i might be able to find some help in the forums.
I have decided on an excalibur crossbow.

Im looking at the bulldog 400 or matrix 380. I was able to shoot the 400 and was surprised at how loud it was just stock of course. Than i was able to shoot the the suppressor which was a pleasantly quiet and light bow. So in everyones opinion will installing the suppressor kit on either of these bows help to quiet the bow significantly?

I guess im like anyone else and get caught up in the fps aspect of the bows. I will be deer and turkey hunting and some other small game. This may be a dumb question but in respect to hunting this type of game whats the minimum fps i would want to shoot. I have always been told when bow hunting anything shoting over 30 yards isnt responsible hunting and i will respect that idea. I just was wondering if with a little more power is a 40-50 yard shot possible or is 30 a good idea to stick with?

I have 2 bad shoulder being a carpenter and mason now a general contractor the bows are actually kind of difficult for me to pull back. I was going to purchase locally when i called the stores each store told me to wait til after January to purchase specifically because there was a newer more improved version of the crank cocker. Also there may be a surprise new bow at the show. I guess because I deffinetely will need crank will the new one be a signifocant upgrade to the older style c2 i see on the website. Does anyone know anything about these new cranks at all I still plan on waiting just was hoping for a little more info.

One last thing does anyone recommend an online dealer to order a bow from or a dealer in the southern Wi area. Also I see a lot of shops selling on ebay as well If the bow is still brand new Im guessing that excalibur would still warranty the bow if registered immeadietly. I was referred to Woodys by there customer service I know nothing about Woodys not judging just not sure about ordering. They said warranty doesnt cover changing of triggers but i could change the scope and few other things if i order from them not sure anyone else gives that option.

Sorry for all the questions just cant get much help most of my friends shoot compound bows and dont know to much about crossbows so I came here for help.

Thanks for any and all info, Tom
bigbowman

Re: Few questions from first time crossbow buyer

Post by bigbowman »

Hi Tom I'm in Ripon! Where about are you located? I know of several respected local dealers that can set you up with an awesome bow & services! There are several online dealers that I definitely recommend. ;) Don't get caught up in the dreaded speed trap with crossbows! My Excalibur Vixen II is shooting about 268 fps with my heavier hunting arrow setup and can kill ANY animal that I can hunt in the USA & Canada! Good luck with your search! Read as much as you can to well educate yourself before jumping right into the deep end of this pool! ;)
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

We have an axiom for the last five years and it has the S5 and some other stuff too quiet it. It still makes a loud “donk” sound. If a deer or other animal is not really relaxed it will move right when my shot goes off. We are going to shoot 20 yards and would shoot 30 if everything was right. We sometimes shoot targets up to 50 yards but if an animal moved at the noise By the time that arrow gets there might not be a good shot so we just don’t do it. Our bow shoots 296 ft./s according to the archery shop. I shot five deer and a Ram and a hog, my brother has shot a goat and two deer. My dad shot a deer too. Everything we shot the arrow went through and everything fell within sight, luckily. My brother and I cannot cock the bow it’s too tall and heavy but that’s the whole idea for my dad we can’t play around with it without him. But you only have to cock it once so if you can do it with the string imagine anything that would help you one time wouldn’t be a big deal in hunting but maybe would take a while if you’re shooting targets. I would say we easily have 1000 shots and my dad put a new string on once And adjusts our string every so often. We like the smaller quieter cross bows but ours has worked perfectly and we don’t have a lot of money so we decided to stick with what works. For us our bow is big and heavy but we only hunt from a blind or a stand and we use a tripod to rest the front of it so that it has never mattered to us when hunting and in target shooting we sit in a chair and use a tripod just like we were in a blind. We got our bow where we found the best price because the warrantee applies no matter where comes from as far as I know. Then we get parts from South Shore and sometimes from the manufacturer directly like our black eagle arrows. I might be 12 But I do know my bow really good because I have shoot it on the weekly basis and around here in Texas we can hunt different things year-round so I have some idea but I do not tell Adults what to do. I am just hoping that the kids perspective might be helpful to you. Good luck and send a picture of the big one!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Hi tom welcome to the forum , you have come to the right place for all your questions . I personaly don't get too wrapped up in speed
if you do the math you'll see what I mean :) so think about it this way.
if you got a bow that shoots 350 fps. you got a deer standing at 20 yds. that's 60ft.
it will give that deer miliseconds to react. :roll:

Think about it :D
Dave :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Welcome to the forum . Take a look at the new 330 that just came out this month. I have a friend that shoots a 330matrix and has killed every thing he has shot at . one was a instant kill shot . all he has on it are DM string bumpers, don't get hung up in the speed trap . you can shoot a lighter bow all day long. JMO.
W.M.
SEW

Post by SEW »

I own both xbows. The BD400 is slightly smaller and about 5'/sec faster. The upcoming C-3 cocker will likely fit into its stock. However, the C-2 works well on both. I've never felt handicapped with more speed or power.
I want to extend my effective range as much as I can.
Excellent deals can be found on the trading post. Though I prefer the higher performing xbows, each Excal has its own special attraction, in particular, the Vortex, M330 each are particularly pleasant as I expect the BD 330 & 380 and M350SE/LE do.
My favorite Excal: my 2 M405s. Each set up differently.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

XB I GO, thank you for your input and perspective....and true words. Well said young man. 8)

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Wisconsinbadger

bigbowman wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 am
Hi Tom I'm in Ripon! Where about are you located? I know of several respected local dealers that can set you up with an awesome bow & services! There are several online dealers that I definitely recommend. ;) Don't get caught up in the dreaded speed trap with crossbows! My Excalibur Vixen II is shooting about 268 fps with my heavier hunting arrow setup and can kill ANY animal that I can hunt in the USA & Canada! Good luck with your search! Read as much as you can to well educate yourself before jumping right into the deep end of this pool! ;)
not sure how i missed your post i sometimes travel tp ripon for work. I live in Watertown about hour and a half from your location.
Wisconsinbadger

XB I GO wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 am
We have an axiom for the last five years and it has the S5 and some other stuff too quiet it. It still makes a loud “donk” sound. If a deer or other animal is not really relaxed it will move right when my shot goes off. We are going to shoot 20 yards and would shoot 30 if everything was right. We sometimes shoot targets up to 50 yards but if an animal moved at the noise By the time that arrow gets there might not be a good shot so we just don’t do it. Our bow shoots 296 ft./s according to the archery shop. I shot five deer and a Ram and a hog, my brother has shot a goat and two deer. My dad shot a deer too. Everything we shot the arrow went through and everything fell within sight, luckily. My brother and I cannot cock the bow it’s too tall and heavy but that’s the whole idea for my dad we can’t play around with it without him. But you only have to cock it once so if you can do it with the string imagine anything that would help you one time wouldn’t be a big deal in hunting but maybe would take a while if you’re shooting targets. I would say we easily have 1000 shots and my dad put a new string on once And adjusts our string every so often. We like the smaller quieter cross bows but ours has worked perfectly and we don’t have a lot of money so we decided to stick with what works. For us our bow is big and heavy but we only hunt from a blind or a stand and we use a tripod to rest the front of it so that it has never mattered to us when hunting and in target shooting we sit in a chair and use a tripod just like we were in a blind. We got our bow where we found the best price because the warrantee applies no matter where comes from as far as I know. Then we get parts from South Shore and sometimes from the manufacturer directly like our black eagle arrows. I might be 12 But I do know my bow really good because I have shoot it on the weekly basis and around here in Texas we can hunt different things year-round so I have some idea but I do not tell Adults what to do. I am just hoping that the kids perspective might be helpful to you. Good luck and send a picture of the big one!
Thanks. Being young doesnt mean you cannot be helpful appreciate your post and infornation you shared.
Wisconsinbadger

papabear1 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 am
Hi tom welcome to the forum , you have come to the right place for all your questions . I personaly don't get too wrapped up in speed
if you do the math you'll see what I mean :) so think about it this way.
if you got a bow that shoots 350 fps. you got a deer standing at 20 yds. that's 60ft.
it will give that deer miliseconds to react. :roll:

Think about it :D
Dave :wink:
This statement you made is exactly why i wanted to ask on these forums. I want an excalibur because it is straight forward no bells and whistles just reliable accurate crossbow and still powerful. I figure guys on this forum that are owners of these think like me straight forward and honest. what you said helps alot in my thinking.

My friends cousin bought a Ravin and it seems extremely nice but when i asked about them there 4 months out and then i started to wonder who can fix this new technology and if usend it jn and there 4 months out how long to get it fixed. No thanks appreciate innovation but I need something i can work on or get parts for and fix myself.

Thanks for the comment
Wisconsinbadger

W.Miguire wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 am
Welcome to the forum . Take a look at the new 330 that just came out this month. I have a friend that shoots a 330matrix and has killed every thing he has shot at . one was a instant kill shot . all he has on it are DM string bumpers, don't get hung up in the speed trap . you can shoot a lighter bow all day long. JMO.
W.M.
Thanks appreciate it.
Wisconsinbadger

I have to ask this question there are many what seem to be legit archery dealers on ebay that have great prices on excalibur bows do any of you guys have any experience dealing with ebay at all for crossbows or bolts and acessories at all.

Only reason i ask is i developed a habit of checking there because i can often find stuff way cheaper but havent ever bought something like this from there but in my experience most of those stores are archery shops that also have ebay stores or fishing stores etc. Some of the prices are pretty good.

Otherwise besides DanMiller are there any online dealers anyone would recommend if im unable to find things locally. I try to keep local buisnesses open just because i own one, but if they dont have it I go online or elsewhere.

Thanks guys
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Wyvern Creations is one on-line dealer that will set you up with whatever you need and treat you right in the process.

Billy
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

I bought my Matrix Grizzly off Ebay which actually came through an archery shops online store. I didn't have any issues. Although I do like the idea of feeding business to the shops the other members have recommended. They have excellent reputations and if I were doing it over again I would feed them the business if the extra premium were reasonable...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly