Headlamp

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThunderXB

Headlamp

Post by ThunderXB »

I need to get a headlamp.

Sounds simple, but finding the right one has been a pain.

Would like comfortable, bright (probably LED), easy to use and position.

Anyone got one they REALLY like??

Probably NOT the brim of the cap kind.

(AND not too expensive)

Not asking for much :lol:
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
W.Miguire

Re: Headlamp

Post by W.Miguire »

Bigbowman from Ripon had a review on a head lamp it is on the third page of the forum.
W.M.
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

I didn't see that, thanks!
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

fenix brand is the best led that i have used
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

I own a bunch of fancy high priced stuff but when I saw this, I couldn't help myself. This is excellent value! Very bright and the 18650 battery charges by USB. I am extremely happy. To make it perfect, I had to put an O ring under the screw cap on the end of the light because it was too sensitive to being turned on or off. At $39.99 CDN, It's an excellent light for the price!
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071HW5XQH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I use the Fenix HP25 Headlamp...upon Norm's recommendation. I've used it over three years now and love it.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Fenix HL55. I wear it every day! It's tough and bright and you will love it. Go ahead and spring for the rechargeable batteries, late forum member Pydpiper referred to them as " guiltless lumens"!
wabi

Post by wabi »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:42 pm
Fenix HL55. I wear it every day! It's tough and bright and you will love it. Go ahead and spring for the rechargeable batteries, late forum member Pydpiper referred to them as " guiltless lumens"!
I use the same model.

The only complaint I have with the Fenix headlamps is that the headband looses elasticity with age, but since I use only Fenix I'm not sure if that is true of other brands, too.
wabi
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Which rechargable battery/charger are you using?

How does the headlamp work with a baseball cap on under it?

THANKS!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Over the past few years our entire duck hunting crew has followed my lead in using some cheap bright Chinese made LED headlights. They run off of two 18650 batteries. There are a few models available. From experience, shy away from the ones with zoom capability. Some have a single reflector and some have three. Ignore the grand advertising, they don't put out 5000 lumens. But most will put out near 1000 lumens which is pretty bright. I carry one with me deer hunting, but only for deer recovery. Its way to bright to me for any discreet travel. I want just enough light to avoid stepping on a rattlesnake and nothing more.

The best thing about these lights is that they are inexpensive. You can pick up the headlight, two batteries and a charger for $15 to $20 delivered. If you order them from North America, you can get them with a week as well. We've broken a couple, but for under $20, you can have a couple spares on hand.

Here is my current favorite model (Shop around, there are likely other sellers):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-40000LM-3x-XM-L-T6-LED-Headlamp-Torch-Lamp-HeadLight-18650-Charger-USA/282616789375

But we've used plenty of this one as well. Its even cheaper and runs longer on the lower settings.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5000-Lm-CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-Headlamp-Headlight-flashlight-head-light-lamp-18650/173016756713

We're normally outside around 3:45am in duck season and run them an hour or two until daylight. I'd figure 2-3 hours is probably what they will run on high setting and much longer on low. We normally recharge them every couple days of duck hunting. I have one of each near my back door for periodic short varmint investigations and only have to recharge them a few times a year.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

ThunderXB wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:45 pm
Which rechargable battery/charger are you using?

How does the headlamp work with a baseball cap on under it?

THANKS!
I have been using the Fenix brand batteries 18650? 2600-3500 mah. Fenix single charger. I wear mine everyday. The headband will stretch out some but I havent had enough problems to replace yet. I launder it in washer in summer as it needs it here in Texas summer heat. Only way I have found to wear ball cap with one is to turn ball cap around backwards. I like this light so much I bought an extra and mounted it to my bike helmet. Works great for this as well, and if trail turns I can look ahead where a bike mounted light is fixed to where bike is headed. I have nothing but praise for these lights.
oldmandoug

Post by oldmandoug »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:03 am
fenix brand is the best led that i have used
I also use Fenix. Have several, and I recently sent one in for repair, almost 2 years old....They covered it under warranty!!
HOMELESS VETERANS SHOULD COME BEFORE ANY REFUGEE!!!
Normous

Post by Normous »

The newer lightweight and rechargeable headlamps from Fexix are a pleasure to use.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Look up Suprabeam. Amazing.
Hank
janesy

Post by janesy »

I have two "spark" brand headlamps that use 3 AAA batreries. Bought them on a whim for a fishing trip 5 years ago. Now i use it exclusively for walking in and out in the stand. And the other lives in my truck year round

I can honesltly say that the quality is top notch and they last forever. And they were $9.99
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme